It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
(female)

rw82 HB User
Lab just called said my thyroid is overactive

and I have so many questions. It has been two years since I had my annual and at that time my thyroid was fine. I was put on BP meds for HBP and fast heart rate at that time. Never had any problems before this - never get sick .

I related the following symptoms to menopause - no periods since 11/05, hot when no one else is, a few hot flashes, a little weight loss by cutting back, the palpitations, HBP - a lot of menopause symptoms or so I thought until today !

I have to admit I am a little anxious about all this and have a few questions?

What the heck is going on ?

What can I expect at my first visit to the endoocrinologist ?

Will I be put on meds ?

What can I expect on the meds - side effects ?

Will I gain weight ? Just got pscyhed to really start loosing weight !

Thanks for all replies
RW

Old 07-20-2006, 09:03 PM   #2
(female)

rozzihippychick HB User
Re: Lab just called said my thyroid is overactive

Hi
The endo needs to establish why you are hyperthyroid. He should check for graves disease, Hashimoto disorder, thyroditis or nodular goitre. You may have a scan to check your thyroid and various bloodtests. Try doing some reading up beforehand. Don,t worry about weight gain its not always a problem. You may not need medication at all depends on diagnosis. My menopause confused things too. Good luck Rozzi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2006, 09:27 PM   #3
(female)

rw82 HB User

Thanks Rozzi, I've been on the internet for awhile now checking it out.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Some doctors really don't know what numbers they are looking at... Did they do a free T3 test? Do you have your numbers? If not..then it may be they don't have the new guidelines... (or decided to pay no attention to them). I think endos are over rated. I would much prefer to see a D.O., who understands much more of how the body works.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:21 PM   #5
(female)

rw82 HB User

Finres,

I was wondering about the doctor thing. My doctor who treats my HBP is an Internalist and he is great. I read on the internet that they can treat it. I am calling him in the morning. He doesn't hesitate to tell you to go to another if he feels they can treat you better.

As far as the results I ask if they would fax them to me. They said no they just send me the cholesterol results. Don't they have to send them to me if I request them to do so ?

RW

Old 07-20-2006, 10:25 PM   #6
(female)

rw82 HB User

Amother thing....

My Gyn did the blood work at my annual visit testing to see if I was into menopause (no period 7 months) as well as the thyroid so I don't have a clue which test were done.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw82
As far as the results I ask if they would fax them to me. They said no they just send me the cholesterol results. Don't they have to send them to me if I request them to do so ?
Yes, by law, they are required to give you a copy of your results upon request. However, due to that dumb HIPPA law, each office may have a different procedure for providing them - by phone, mail, or pickup in person, e.g. Although, since they are willing to fax the cholesterol result, privacy isn't likely to be their main concern for not sending the others.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:28 PM   #8
(female)

rw82 HB User

I am getting my lab reports mailed to me after having to fax a release form.

The doctor that they faxed my lab work to in the same building didn't have anything available until December ! Needless to say I called my other doctor and he gave me the name of another endo who will be able to see me in August.

I just wanted to make a correction about the colesterol report - They do mail that.

Thanks for the reply

Closed Thread