It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
(female)

Nazzer HB User
Switching from Unithroid/Cytomel to Naturethroid

I have a question about starting Naturethroid. Iíve been on Unithroid and Cytomel for 5 years and been feeling almost normal but still had problems with sugar cravings and my right arm would go to sleep during the night and low energy most days but blamed that on sugar.

Also my complexion has been less than perfect ever since Iíve been diagnosed with Hashimotos but I also blame that on sugar. Iíd take the dose just once a day .75mcg of Unithroid and .5mcg of Cytomel. Iíve just started Naturethroid two days ago at 1 grain taken Ĺ of it twice a day. I plan to increase it slowly to avoid shocking my system.

Anyway, Iíve read so many post about how wonderful people felt once they switched from T4 only to Armour. Has anyone been on the synthetic T4 and T3 combination for years and felt ok and then switched to a natural thyroid and felt wonderful? Also, if Iíve been taking the T4/T3 combination for years, do I still need to start low with Naturethroid and work up? Will I see a difference from synthetic T4/T3 to natural desiccated?

Nazzer

Old 07-21-2006, 12:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Switching from Unithroid/Cytomel to Naturethroid

Welcome to the board!

I can't answer all of your question; some of them no one can, and only time will tell.

One thing I can tell you, in case you aren't aware, is that you're taking a dose decrease. One grain of NT contains 38 mcgs of T4 and 9 mcgs of T3. You will now be getting only half the T4 you formerly took. You say you're planning to increase, but I thought I should mention that anyway. IMO, you won't "shock" your system from the switch; but you might feel the T4 shortage in a week or so, unless you plan to make an increase before then.

Your questions about how it will work and how you will feel have no predictable answers. Even if someone were taking the same combination and dose and made the exact same switch, they still wouldn't be able to tell you how you will feel, because everyone's reactions are so individual.

I wish you good luck with the changes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2006, 07:05 AM   #3
(female)

Nazzer HB User
Re: Switching from Unithroid/Cytomel to Naturethroid

Thank you for your reply, Midwest1. I am aware that I'm taking a decrease in dose when I switch from T4 88 mcg/T3 5mcg to Naturethroid 1 grain but all the post I've been reading indicated to start really low and increase every week or so to prevent hyperthyroid symptoms. I've already increased it by 1/2 grain so I'm currently taking 1-1/2 grains of Naturethroid and so far I'm feeling pretty good. I'm still not feeling all the energy yet but I feel less edgy and more relaxed right now. According to the posts I've read about switching, it said that everyone who has switched ended up taking much more than they thought they would. Average 3-5 grains compared to the average of 88mcg of T4 only. I was just curious if anyone was on the T4/T3 synthetic combo and switched over to the dessicated thyroid and felt a difference for the better.

Nazzer

Closed Thread