It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
(female)

rw82 HB User
Symptoms of hyper

Isn't weight loss one of the main symptoms of an overactive thyroid ?

I have several symptoms but definitly not this one

Can a thyroid be fine one day and wacky the next ?

RW

Old 07-23-2006, 06:56 AM   #2
(female)

appleofearth HB User
Re: Symptoms of hyper

Hiya,

I'm hypo not hyper, so not the best authority, but I do know that not everyone gets weight gain with hypo (although most people seem to) - so i assume the same goes for hyper - most people probably lose weight but not everyone.

That's what makes thyroid probs so much fun, there isn't a distinct set of symptoms for it, everyone experiences a subset of the list of symptoms.

My hypo symptome come and go with my monthly cycle so perhaps yours could be tied to that? Or Hashimoto's perhaps? I don't know anything about that other than it makes your levels jump about all over the place, someone else could probably be more help on that

Becky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2006, 05:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Rw...I have graves disease, hyperthyroidism. before i was dx and treated i experienced weight loss, very rapid heartreat, heat intolerence, sore knees and difficulty when getting up from a squatting position. I also didn't sleep very well or very much. Do any of these sound familiar? There are many symptoms and not everyone has the same ones.

Some people experience weight loss and other gain from eating more because of a bigger appetite. I lost weight without changing my eating habits and continued walking and exercising.

Have you done any reseach on hyperthyroid? Do a google search and see what you can learn. They will explain and give a list of symptoms. My next suggestion would be to go see you dr. and ask for a thyroid test, they will most likely order a Ft4 and tsh. Those will give a basic idea of whats going on with you and if needed they can request more detailed test or refer you to an endocrinologist. For you own peace of mind get checked out. If i can be of any help let me know. take care...phylis

Old 07-24-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
(female)

rw82 HB User

I am trying to get an appointment with an endo now. I hope it's soon because I am anxious to find out what's going on.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
RW

Old 07-25-2006, 05:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi RW, your family dr. (have you seen him?) can order the blood work so you'll have it when you see the endo, it could also speed up the time it will take to get an appt., if your dr. makes the call for you. Around here it takes several months to get into see one. What is you age? take care...phyllis

Old 07-25-2006, 05:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi..forgot to add...take a list of questions when you go to the endo so you don't forget what you want to find out about.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:02 AM   #7
(female)

rw82 HB User

Thanks Phyl,
My Gyn did the bloodwork just waitng for her office to fax it to the endo then they will call for an appointment. They said I could get in by the end of August. I'm calling again today to see if they have gotten the lab report.

Why does it take so long to get an endo appointment? How fast do thyroid disorders progess ?

As far as the list, I always make one because I want to know everything

I'm 48.

RW

Old 07-26-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi RW...it takes a while to get into an endo because there are so few of them and they are kept busy . Ask them to send you get a copy of your labs. I don't think it will progesses much, if any before your appt., but if you get to feeling really bad call the dr. and see if he can speed things up. Try not to let it stress you out too much, thats not good for anything. Are there other things are you noticing? Is your heart rate fast even when sitting quiet? heat intoerence? not sleeping well or long? Trembling? I don't know how to explain this, but have you ever felt like your skin is vibrating or feels like your shaking under your skin? Sounds crazy, but thats how i felt at times. keep me posted on how your doing. take care...phyllis

Old 07-26-2006, 06:13 PM   #9
(female)

rw82 HB User

Hey Phyllis

heart rate fast even when sitting quiet? YES - been on toprol for 2 years - woke up night before last pulse 99

heat intoerence? YES

not sleeping well or long? YES - never have though

Trembling? YES - not as much now, this is a symptom of menopause too, which is what I thought has been going on. It just happens at night. I will wake up feeling like it's on the inside and always thought my heart rate was up but it wasn't. It's a strange feeling.

Hopefully, I will get my lab results in the mail tomorrow. I was told today it would take 7 to 10 days.

Hope everything is fine with you. I'll keep you posted.

Anna

Old 07-27-2006, 05:19 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Anna, Is toprol a med used to treat hyperthyroid? When i was dx with Graves i opted for the RAI rather than try the meds. That is one thing i wish i'd tried, but knew i'd end up with an RAI eventually so went ahead with it. thats the probelm with thyroid disese..it mimics so many other things, like menopause. have a good day..take care...phyllis

Old 07-27-2006, 11:33 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User

toprol is a med that is a beta blocker which is what they give you at times when you are hyperthyroid. I would love to give you a list of all the things that hyperthyroid causes.
Hair loss
trembling
pulse will likely increase
Women may find that the menstrual flow will lighten and the time between periods grow longer
blood pressure and heart rate can increase to dangerous levels
Depression
Fatigue
Sweaty palms
Weight loss
Fine brittle hair
Restlessness
Increased appetite
Changes in sex drive
Muscle weakness, especially in the upper arms and thighs
Shortened attention span
Heat intolerance
Increased sweating
Nervousness and irritability
Restless sleep or insomnia
Erratic behavior
Infertility, recurrent miscarriage
Increased frequency of bowel movements
Maybe these will help you become more knowleadgeable about what symptoms you have that are related to a hyperthyroid.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:13 PM   #12
(female)

rw82 HB User

I was given toprol xl for HBP and heart rate. It is a beta blocker as lookin4aclue said.

Depression has also been an issue at times. Weight loss, hair loss not a problem.

I woke up last night with my heart pounding but I had a nightmare, actually two, but one I couldn't even remember.

As far as emotions I'm sitting here ready to cry for really no reason.

Muscle weakness question? Would that make the top part of your legs look, I guess you would say squishy looking, for lack of a better description ?

Or is it that I just need to start doing some kind of exercise to firm up.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:30 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow...was that a trip down memeory lane...i had alot of those, but not all. I think my favorite and my husbands was the change in sex drive...he was a very lucky man. Too bad that one and the weight loss didn't stick around after treatment. I was given atentenol for the racing heart and bp. I don't remember my legs changing how they look, but they were involved. My knees hurt going up and down steps and getting up from squatting got harder and harder, then got better. You can loss muscle mass when hyper, maybe thats the change you and your husband are noticing. Ask the dr. about it when you go. take care...phyllis

Old 07-27-2006, 02:01 PM   #14
(female)

rw82 HB User

Hey Phyllis,
I think my drive went the other way.....

My knees are the same way. Will the muscle thing get better if I'm hyper and put on medication ?

You said you have Graves, do you or did you have the problem with the eyes ? I haven't noticed anything.

Anna

Old 07-27-2006, 03:40 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User

I have Graves, and I have eye problems(it really does suck)! I have had to have radiation on my eyes, I have also been on steriods since Dec which helped cause me to become diabetic!!! So any questions concerning TED ask away.
When I first started having problems I lost all sex drive, and was depressed, and had sever cramps while going up and down stairs, my hair was falling out, I lost alot of weight(that was the only part I was happy about) my heart rate was 160 at rest, I had High Blood Pressure, had to go for days without sleep, and felt like I could sleep for days, I had trembles that made me look like I was on drugs(some asked if I was doing speed)I felt like I had to talk non stop, I would sweat and turn bright red when just mopping the floor, my period got to the point I had it a whole day and it was just spotting, I could eat everything in the house and still loose weight, I couldn't pay attention long enough to count change, I sometimes flew into a rage for no reason, and the bathroom had become my best friend! Needless to say I have sever Graves(am hypo now), both parts of this really stinks some days I pray for the hyper feeling, some days I'm glad I'm not hyper anymore. By the time I became hypo after RAI(wish I hadn't had that) my TSH level was 96. My 9 month old daughter was born with Graves(I passed it to her, but she no longer has it) even though I was hypo. Got questions about Graves shoot, I'll try what I can to answer them.
Val

Last edited by lookin4aclue; 07-27-2006 at 04:02 PM.

Closed Thread