It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2006, 11:48 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User
Thyroid Nodule

I have a 1 cm thyroid nodule that hasn't changed for the last two years. I just got a new thyroid scan and my nodule is showing "increased vascularity" which is a new finding according to the results. I have made a appointment with a Endo, but can't get in for 6 weeks.

Everything that I have read on nodules with"increased vascularity" doesn't sound too good. Any info would be helpful, thanks.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Thyroid Nodule

In terms of vascularity in general, when there is a tumor or a node anywhere in your body, with "vascularity"---it's a bad sign that it is being fed with a blood supply, increased likelihood of cancer.

However, according to my thyroid surgeon, in the case of a thyroid nodule, it doesn't necessarily indicate cancer because the thyroid itself is a very vascular area. There have been people here in the past with vascular nodules that were benign.

Your nodule is small, and sometimes these things can eventually turn into cancer,which is why they are often removed. The change in yours is a red flag that your watching over the past two years was a good thing, and perhaps you can catch this before anything "turns".

For a nodule, you don't have to be managed by an endo, but you could also see an ENT. They are surgical and also do biopsies----FNA. Have you had one in the past?

There is no rush. In the worst case, which would be thyroid cancer (which is really really rare) it is slow growing and you can see your endo. in 6 weeks and it wouldn't make much of a difference. And not only is thyroid cancer rare, but it is curable, with relatively easy treatment, so just take one step at a time.

This is probably just a plain old benign nodule.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User
Re: Thyroid Nodule

Reece-
Thank you for the information.

I've never had the nodule biopsied.

Closed Thread