It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2006, 08:40 AM   #1
(female)

babybls4ever HB User
is there another test for thyroid

is there another test that i can take for thyroid other than a standard blood test? because i took a blood test and it came back neg. and yes i should be greatful but i have all the symptoms of hypo and my mother has the disease . she had hers removed. and so anyway my symptoms are: weight gain that i cant loose, hair lose, mood swings, headaches heart palptations. you name them i have them. anyway if anyone has advice im willing to listen anything will be appreciated.

Old 07-22-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
(female)

daisy01 HB User
Re: is there another test for thyroid

Hiya hun welcome to the board

sorry to hear you are feeling so sick, you are in great company here and will get loads of support, advice and information.

As far as I know there is only 1 test the medics will accept, that is a blood test. this test should be TSH, free T4 free t3. Not all doctors interpret the results correctly esp if they are going by the old ranges.

There is the temperature test( barnes test I think its called) where you use a mercury thermometer and place it under your armpit first thing in the morning, before you get out of bed or do anything. You have to leave it there for a full 5 mins then read it.
Keep a record of your temp each day. if it is low then you probably have hypoT. This will only give you an indication that your suspicions are right though.
if you can get copies of your test results and post them on here, including the ranges we will do our best to help you decipher them and advise you accordingly

best wishes daisy xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2006, 09:58 AM   #3
(female)

kj547 HB User

Have you had your thyroid antibodies checked? If not, you should ask for that test to see if you have Hashimotos. I had several borderline normal thyroid tests last year and kept feeling worse. Now I have had an series of blood work which shows conclusively hypothyroid and Hashi's. I had the same problem for a year and was finally diagnosed 2 weeks ago. I am now on Synthroid & feel better already. BTW, my mom and aunt also have thyroid issues.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
(female)

daisy01 HB User

I managed to track down this info for you............ hope it helps xxx daisy

THE BODY TEMPERATURE TEST
There is one simple thing almost anyone can do at home to uncover an underfunctional thyroid: take your own temperature. The "basal body temperature" test was developed by Broda O. Barnes, MD, a physician who, for decades, helped raise the consciousness of both physicians and others regarding the risks and prevalence of hypothyroidism and weak thyroid function. His book, Hypothyroidism: The Unsuspected Illness, first published in 1976, remains as the best clinical description of the syndrome.

Because thyroid hormone is so vital to cellular metabolism, reduced thyroid function often manifests as a drop in body temperature to below the normal level of 98.6F. Barnes recommended the following procedure.

- Shake down an oral glass thermometer before going to bed and leave it on the night table overnight. (Actually, it is better to shake just before using it.)

- Immediately upon awakening, and with as little movement as possible, place the thermometer firmly in your armpit next to the skin. (It is more accurate when placed on mucous membranes such as under the tongue or in the rectum.)

- Leave it there for 10 minutes.

- Record the readings on three consecutive days.

If the average temperature over the three days is less than 97.8F, then, according to Dr. Barnes, you may have hypothyroidism. Even if you have had a blood test and were told you did not have a low thyroid reading, you might go back and look at the results again. You may find that your blood levels of thyroid hormones are actually low normal. Many people who are within the so-called "normal" range but below the midpoint could benefit enormously from thyroid supplementation.

Old 07-22-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User

If all the above tests mentioned you have already had there is also a Reverse T3 test. That is how I was finally diagnosed, mine was very elevated and should not be. It's a pricey test though so unless requested doc's like as not will not run, mine cost $170.00 but well worth it.

Deb

Old 07-22-2006, 04:53 PM   #6
(female)

babybls4ever HB User

i would just like to thank everyone this makes everything so much clearer. and see when you visit the doc, its like hurry up and go. that is the impression and they dont give you the chance to say"listen im not satisfied with this lets keep checking. they act like that insults them if you get the chance to tell them anything else. but anyway thank you all and i will post if i find anything new. also its funny you mention temp. you see i always stay at like a 96.7 all day and when im working my butt off i never ever sweat! and im always forgetting things. i know im not a brand-new car but my warrenty hasnt ran out yet im 29. thank you ladies again

Closed Thread