It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2006, 11:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User
opiates and hypo t ???

hi everyone alot of you know me on this board, and i hope you still talk to me but, ihave to have morphine everyday and i have for over 6 years, alot of my close freinds dont know , and it started when i was in a very bad relashionship with my ex husband, i know i cant blame everybody else,but myself i was left with 3 small kids, and thank god for my parents or i could have lost them! ive had somewhat of a tough life, anyway for the last 6 years i havent stepped a toe out of line i have a good partner and i believe i would have been off it by now if i hadnt been so il with hypot , i dont even go out for a drink in fact i never drink ive given up the fags , and my life has been so normal for about 6 years that i forget im on a drug substitute and the amount im on i make sure it dosent make me high its more ogf a maintenence script, all we do is spoil our children, they are my world and do the house and garden up, i was wondering if anybody had any knowlege of this drug a s it also causes weight gain and constipation and a very slow metabolism so i think im going to have double trouble and weight gain will also be harder!! has anyone got any suggestions???? and im worried it will interfere with my thyroxine and it can also mask any bad symptoms as it is a pain killer, please any replys would be really nice and helpfull and i hope you dont get put off by this and stop talking to me i am normal honestly , well a s mmuch as a hypo t can be, my drug management doc said it has no bearing and it couldnt have caused it? but how can it not when it also slows down my metabolism>>>> lots of love to everyone on the boards today and all my thyroid buddies love from katpursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2006, 11:14 PM   #2
(female)

daisy01 HB User
Re: opiates and hypo t ???

Kat lovey ((hugs))) I know you are taking the opiates but have you considered that your thyroid problem may of caused your dependancy? the depression and anxiety of being in a bad relationship is bad enough but you may of already had the thyroid prob to deal with as well( you just didnt know it then) Stop beating yourself up, you seem like a lovely lady, it doesnt matter now what caused your problems, they are in the past now. You wont help yourself to get well with all them stress hormones rushing around straining your adrenals etc....be kind to yourself for a change xxxxxxxx

Take a deep breath and be proud of what you have acheived and sod what you can't change!!!
just having the courage to get out of a bad relationship shows that you are strong, many people dont have that.
once you are well then you can concentrate on getting off the opiates. Until then stop worrying xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
luvs you hun xxxx
daisy xxxx

Old 07-23-2006, 11:43 PM   #3
(female)

flourishing HB User

Hi Kat

I agree with everything pursie said

The next time you see your drug management doctor, maybe ask him/her about some sort of plan to ween you off the Morphine if that's what you would like.

A Google search of Morphine will give you information about the drug

Old 07-24-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

thanks for your replys ,
they do mean alot when sometimes there is alot of predudice surrounding theese things in the uk i dont know about other countries i suppose there are alot of bad junkies and they give a bad example but ofcourse lifes never really that black and white and im probably the minoritty as it has a very low succsess rate with it, just because it is so rough and ive tried to do it just stopping a, but its hard when like other people in my position maybe dont have to run around after 3 kids all day and they have the luxury of there beds when they are rattling!! sorry thats a horrible term for cold turkey! and this thyroid illness throws it all over the place some days it feels like ive had a bit to much even on my low dose and other days i feel way undermedicated its impossible, i know ive done well and i dont even see any of the old crowd for years and my life is good , it feels bad a nd i feel sad cos ive really not been normal for about 10 years, my children saved my life and when i saw them, i knew that i would do any thing in my power to give them everytthing and no one would say bad things to them about our family as it would be awfull if they got teased about it off other kids , thankyou so much for your support it does help to see things in a better life and i think ill ease up on myself abit , maybe i should see the good in myself like i always try to do with other people lol, i always have a joke or try to on the boards and seem out going but i guess we all have our private torments lol , i feel like that man on game on, who never leaves his house , ive become araphobic , and this board is important to me , ofcourse i make sure the kids have outings and holidays i just make my partner do it lol only kidding, im going for a walk now actually with the kids thanks for cheering ne up and im glad you dont think or judge me and thankyou for being very good freinds sorry to be slushie lots of love to you all in our suffering lol katpursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx

Old 07-25-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
(female)

daisy01 HB User

kat hun I would never judge anyone for anything unless they are being judgemental. no one knows what around the corner for them, so have no right to judge others who have had a rough time.

Things happen to us that damage us, and damage others, its a fact of life and we cannot change it. How we put right that damage is down to us though.
You care about others, thats very obvious to everyone who reads your posts. you are not evil or wicked but a very strong lady who has come through some tough times and obviously a very loving mum. Some kids who have a so called 'normal' family dont have a mum who loves them, yours are very lucky to have that.
So get your middle finger and stick it up to society, hold your head up high as you have got nothing to be ashamed of. Let those in society who would judge you, go to their loveless homes and open their bottle/s of wine ( no different from drugs) and say what they like about you.

I truly believe you will come off the drugs when the time is right for you, and not before.
biggest hugs from daisy xxxxx

Old 07-25-2006, 01:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

thanks d ,
i trust you fully and youre right i need to slow down and let every thing settle down first, and that was very supportive what you said, thats like a breath of fresh air what you had to say, you are a one off daisy and you have a really good way about you and a very cool attitude on life!
thankyou, for your posts maybe i will look at it all in a different lite and give myself 5
sometimes i guess we have to say what the **** and get on with life and make the most out of the time we have with each other as we never know whats round the next corner lots of love to you d xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx and thanks to flourishing from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxx

Last edited by pursie; 07-25-2006 at 01:28 PM.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Kat,

I just finished reading a book about metabolic rehab for people with fibromyalgia, a treatment protocol that relies heavily on using T3 meds to decrease pain, fatigue, etc. The author had a section on "who doesn't benefit from our program," and she made the comment that narcotic meds (commonly rxd for fibro pain) can make adjustment to thyroid meds very difficult as they increase the hormone receptor sensitivity to the point where people suffer more side effects (heart, BP, anxiety, etc.) than benefits from the thyroid meds. This doctor found that her patients who were willing to wean off of the narcotics did much better in the long run, with thyroid hormone.

I realize fibro isn't your main problem, and I don't want to come across as prejudiced. But I wondered whether this might be useful info for you.

Best wishes.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:44 PM   #8
(female)

jjules HB User

Hi Kat, You have accomplished overcoming cigarettes and that is a great one there (wish I could) you don't drink (another great thing). I have a good feeling that you will overcome your last addiction. I believe that when you do you can deal better with the hypo t and feel really great. I don't know much about it yet but i've been reading as much as I can so I can understand it. I hope nothing but the best for ya girl. Jules

Old 07-25-2006, 04:52 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

thankyou so much for your replys, its so hard most days i feel so undermedicated and the sweat up my bac makes me shudder! then i think how am i supposed to reduce when i already feel like a cold turkey! ! elmhar you just described me ! all that anxiety and very rough beggining on the thyroid meds! wow thats scared me, ive tried so hard to reduce with there help ,and on my own and it just hurts so bad , i dont get the luxury of a bed , in that situation i have 3 kids to look after! but i wont go backwards i fluctuate badly maybe due to the thyroid meds that its virtually impossible! i wont give up though. I would have been off this i think had it not have been so rough before i had meds , and my kids see more of the real me now that its not really taking an affect on me any more! they need to know the real me , i need to know the real me! its important to me , im just sick of this misery i know i would be better off and im feeling below normal, on the stuff! get your head round that!!!
somebody shoot me!
im so lost how do i get out!
its the most powerfull opiate they give me plus its time realeased over a full 24 hours , what they have done is put me in a much worse position than i was before there help, then they say to me its a wonderfull thing weve done for you and i think yes it was my saving grace too start with but its it now, and they say it has no bearing on your thyroid meds and it hasnt caused it! but it mimicks a underactive thyroid as it slows down my metabolism and causes constipation , get a reallity check doctors and all your text books !!!!
im just goung to have to keep chippin away and go so slow over a year if i have to !
im just so lost, any suggestions thankyou everyone so much your stars hugs hugs hugs ps. elmhar i havnt got fibro what is it???? xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx jjules elmhar daisy flourishing and everyone you sweeties lol its nice having my little messages

Last edited by pursie; 07-25-2006 at 05:04 PM.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:06 PM   #10
(female)

jjules HB User

Kat, I'm very new to this board, I was just wondering do you have to take the morphine for chronic pain? I'm probaly guessing so you or do you have another condition that you need to take it? You are a very hip lady in my book whatever the reason you take it. I hope nothing but the best for you and I think I've just hit the tip of my iceberg with hypo-t I'm not sure what to expect hopefully I will feel better soon???? Take care my new friend..Jules

Old 07-26-2006, 12:07 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

hi jjules,
um no it was because i was a bit naughty when i was younger and also given theese things for pain . first methodone now morhine, i spose i have ha a awfull lot of dentel pain and stomache pains !
whats up jjules i get so caught up in my own crap sometimes, what has happened with your thyroid problem /??? have you ha a rough run of it???? it can be a breeze for somw people and others have it so rough have you got hashimotos ????? i would say if you have an under active thyroid 80% of us are hashis xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx hugs love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:angel :

Old 07-26-2006, 04:35 PM   #12
(female)

Tammyshell HB User

Hey Kat,
Long time no see! I've not been around lately sick and other stuff in my way, but I wanted to jump on here and let you know that I am on morphine too. Was on Percocet for years and doc just changed me over last three or four months. I have chronic pain in my back and a bad ankle and I believe that I have fibro. I haven't been diagnosed yet. With so much already wrong with me I am afraid to ask to go down that road silly as it seems.
I've went through the shooting myself in the foot thing because I am on it. I told my doc not too long ago that I feel like a drug addict because I take it. I make sure that I eat before I take it because if I take it on an empty stomach it will give me a buzz and make me high. If I eat, it doesn't.

But the point is, I wanted you to know that you are not by yourself. I'm on it and deal with those feelings too. If you need it, you need it. No reason to get angry at yourself or put yourself down. And I will do the same. We have legitamate (sp) reasons for taking the meds that we do. BTW: I'm hashi's too.

Hope this helps to let you know that you are not alone.

Big hugs to you,
Tammyshell

Old 07-27-2006, 10:35 AM   #13
(female)

jjules HB User

Hi Kat, I haven't been diagnosed with Hashis but I wonder if I have it. They just did TSH which was a little high and the free T4 which seemed in range. They also did an ultrasound on it and said there were 2 nodes 1 on each side but didn't say anything else. They put me on 25mg of Levothyroxin and I got back for bloodwork at the end of August so that it where I'm at now. What can you tell me about Hashis? How long have you a this? Hope you are well today and have great one friend. Jules

Last edited by jjules; 07-27-2006 at 10:47 AM.

Closed Thread