It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2006, 03:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User
When you visit your Endo do you............

Print out things which you've found online which back up the reasons for your symptoms etc?

I've found a website which states that Anxiety is common in Subclinical thyroid conditions (hyper and hypo) and I was thinking of printing it out to take with me - just in case my new Endo in Oz isnt as 'up' on this condition.

What do you reckon? I was also going to ask to get the following tests done (as I pay for it at the moment I can request what is tested which is good):-

TSH
T4
T3
Free T4
Free T3
Antibodies (is this a simple blood test)?

Is there anything else I should ask to be tested?

Thanks guys

Rach xxxx

Old 07-23-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: When you visit your Endo do you............

I would not take any printouts to a new doctor or to one I'm not very familiar with. Most of them resent it, viewing it as being told how to do their job. I've seen instances here where patients were actually laughed at for looking things up on the Internet. Of course, that kind of MD would be my former MD in a NY minute, but still, I wouldn't risk insulting a new MD.

Since you're paying for the tests, don't waste your money on the T4 and T3. Ask for only the free Ts. The antibody tests you want are anti-TPO and anti-Tg if you suspect you're hypothyroid; TSI and TPO if you suspect you're hyperT.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2006, 11:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to reply!

I've already been diagnosed as being subclinical hypert (I have a multi nodular goiter too) - is it worth getting the antibody tests do you think?

Thanks again

Rach xxxx

Old 07-24-2006, 07:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Sure, I think it's worth the test. If you have Graves' antibodies, it's better to know it now, so that you can retest at suitable intervals and so that you can weigh all your treatment options before you become full-blown hyper. Subclinical hyper with Graves' ABs is highly likely to progress to full-blown hyperT before too long.

Closed Thread