It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
(female)

sixx788 HB User
Synthroid and Cytomel combination question

Those of you who have taken Synthroid and Cytomel.....have you lost weight with this combination? I keep reading that body builders take Cytomel to keep their weight down. I am just wondering if this would work for myself. I just had a total thyroidectomy done about 3 weeks ago and my weight is climbing. I can't stand having this extra weight on me, but on the same note, I haven't really tried either due to my surgery and just recently hurt my knee! Yep, I am a mess. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and was thinking about asking the doctor about this combo.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:06 AM   #2
(female)

Nazzer HB User
Re: Synthroid and Cytomel combination question

Hi sixx788.

I've been on Unithroid (same as Synthroid) Cytomel combination for about 5 years. I just recently switched to Naturethroid (same as Armour) but I can tell you that when I first was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism I was so miserable and aching all over and my TSH was 137. I was started on the T4 only that brought my TSH back down to normal range but I was not feeling much better. I was suicidal and life just wasn't worth living. As far as the weight, I always weighed around 130 until my thyroid problem then I gained about 15 pounds. I found a doctor to add Cytomel to my T4 only and within two weeks, all my aches and pain was gone!! My depression was completely gone and I felt normal again.

I haven't been able to lose any weight because I've still had food cravings and exercised on and off but I never gained any more weight. I even binged a lot of times and never gained weight. When I started to take fish oil supplements, I lost 5 pounds in about 3 months and have not put that back on plus I felt even better. So now I'm down to 140 and trying to get more of my energy back with the naturethroid.

I will tell you one thing, I've tried several times in the past to stop Cytomel but I always started to feel so much worse and no energy and brain fog and depression. As soon as I got back on Cytomel, I felt so much better. I believe Cytomel is very well worth it.

The reason that I switched over to Naturethroid is because I'd like to see if I can feel even better since I haven't felt 100% better since my diagnosis. I'm not sure if Naturethroid is better than adding Cytomel to T4 yet since I've only been on it for about two weeks but so far, I think I'm feeling better. I seem to feel calmer and more at peace. I don't know if it's from giving up sugar or starting Naturethroid or both but I'm headed in the right direction.

Another thing that I've found is that when I gave up sugar about 4 weeks before starting Naturthroid, because I was constantly bingeing and couldn't stop (but miracuously I wasn't gaining weight, just not losing) and I was eating a lot of sugar, my appetite has changed and I only eat as much as I need and I'm satisfied. That has never happened to me before. I have a bad sweet tooth!! F.Y.I. I did give up bread and all grains about the time I was diagnosed with hypo which did reduce a lot of aches and pain. I felt a million times better eating high protein diet and reasonably low carbs. Maybe that could be the reason I wasn't gaining weight. Then I read somewhere recently that grains will cause the body to produce more antibodies to attack the thyroid. It pays to listened to your body.

If you can give Cytomel a try, I'd recommend it highly. It made a big difference in my life.

Good Luck,

Nazzer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2006, 01:48 PM   #3
(female)

sixx788 HB User

Well, I went to the doctor today. I asked her about Cytomel and she told me she is really not familiar with it. So, she wants me to do my blood work in 2 more weeks to see where my levels are at. Then she will refer me to an endocrinologist.

Honestly, I don't feel bad like others have said that they feel. So, I don't know if I should say anything. I feel the same as I did before my surgery. I am somewhat sluggish, but I am almost 100 lbs overweight! I would think that would be normal to feel that way being so much overweight. I don't feel that I eat alot or that I am lazy. So, it's frustrating to see my c0-workers shoving everything unhealthy in their mouth...Mountain Dew and Hershey bars and have them tell me I should watch what I eat when I am having water and a ham sandwich! My doctor did tell me to try Weight Watchers and I am going to look into it. I clearly need some help. I was just hoping that Cytomel added to the Synthroid would help me lose some weight with diet and exercise. But I don't know if they are going to let me try it or not.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I know being overweight is stressful, but focus first upon getting to the right blood levels where you feel well. Then worry about the weight loss afterward.

In terms of cytomel as a weight loss tool in itself, it could totally backfire and make you very hungry, and you can gain even more.

I've been on synthroid/cytomel combinations and I was very sensitive to the cytomel. It made me very jumpy, and although I needed it for a while, I don't seem to need it anymore.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
(female)

Nazzer HB User

Well maybe you don't need Cytomel but it would be nice to be able to try to see if you feel better. When they test your thyroid levels, are they going to test your Free T3? Not Total T3 but your Free T3. All the research I've been doing (including reading the book "Thyroid Power") says that your Free T3 should be near the top end of the normal range and your Free T4 should be around the middle of the normal range. I wish I could tell you that Cytomel will help you lose weight but I haven't had that luck yet. But I haven't gained any weight when I've been bingeing like crazy. I always wondered if it was because of the Cytomel.

Good luck with what-ever you decide to do.

Nazzer

Old 07-24-2006, 08:38 PM   #6
(female)

Ducky2020 HB User

I have only been on this combination for 3 days, so it is too soon for me to tell, but I am giving it a try with hopes of regaining my energy, and any weight loss would be most welcomed! A friend said that she dropped 10 pounds after adding Cytomel, so I would love for that to be the case for the rest of us also. I agree about the high protein diet making a difference in how you feel, this has helped me a lot.

I had asked my dr for Cytomel as well. I just don't understand why so many of us have to find out about this themselves and ask for it to try to get relief. I am seeing an Endo, so it seems like this would have been offered after my constant complaints of fatigue. Oh well, at least I have it and can give it a try now. Good luck!!

Closed Thread