It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2006, 02:56 PM   #1
(female)

chathamdb HB User
Im so sick of Doctors

I am so tired of going to doctors and being slapped on all kinds of thyroid medications. I feel as if noone understands what i am going through. Now my doctor is wanting to do a 24 hour urine collection. I am confused and frustrated. She said that the thyroid levels were low(whatever that means)
and that i am borderline diabetic. Im so frustrated.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Im so sick of Doctors

Hi CDB,

Quote:
I feel as if noone understands what i am going through.
Yah, we'd all like that. But it's not the doctor's job to feel our pain. Try a social worker or talk therapist if you want that kind of empathy.

There are 2 general schools of clinical medicine: the interventionists & the noninterventionists. Interventionists like to order every test there is, and try all available treatments recommended by their specialty. (Not just to benefit the patient -- more often to protect their butts.) Noninterventionists are more skeptical, more wait-and-see.

Unfortunately, many of us on the board have had unhappy experiences w/noninterventionists. The sort of doc who won't do anything until it's crystal clear (by his/her lights or reference ranges) that there is a very serious problem that needs to be addressed. Usually by that time years of suffering have transpired. Noninterventionists are also more likely to attribute symptoms to psychological causes & to offer referral for counselling, or psych meds.

Depending on your point of view as a patient, it could be you are mismatched. Perhaps you would do better with a doc who is more of a noninterventionist.

The other factor that is at play here is the complexity of our expectations. Most of us expect that doctors have the answers, and that they will be able to help. Doctors & pharmaceutical companies set us up for these expectations.

But the truth is that much of medicine is trial & error. There is no such thing as medical omnipotence. There is so much about the human body that is still not known. The peculiarities of our unique responses to medication are not well-understood. Many of the meds that are highly promoted as the answer to our suffering are not without side effects.

The best remedy for your situation is to find a doctor who resonates well with your own perspective. And to become as knowledgeable as you can about your own health. Get copies of your test results. Learn what they mean. See if you can figure out what treatment paths you would like to try. Which tests you can do without. You have a right to refuse any test or treatment. (Otherwise it's assault & battery on the doc's part if he/she forces you.) There aren't an infinite number of tests & treatments for thyroid. It's not that tough to learn the ropes.

Otherwise, you're at the mercy of the system.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
(female)

kmansmama HB User
Re: Im so sick of Doctors

I agree with Elmhar...This situation just proves that you might want to look for another Dr. Believe me I understand! I never really liked my Dr but I belong to an HMO and it just made sense to continue w/ the same practice since they have all my records etc. She is so insenstive! it really frustrates me that you have to almost harrass people to do their job! My gyno tested my thyroid 2 weeks ago, 2 days later she called me to suggest I see my Primary care phys. because my tests were off. I went to see my Primary last monday and I have yet to hear from her regarding my tests! I even spoke to her asst. yesterday and she "assured" me she would call me by today. Well guess what? Too no surprise I received no phone call!!!! Maybe the results came back ok but I think I deserve a phone call or a letter to let me know especially since I was re-tested! Sorry, to use your post as a way for me to vent but I am so annoyed! Sometimes I just laugh cause I just don't feel like crying. But anyway, good luck to you and again maybe these things are happening to show you that you might want to find another physician and theres nothing wrong w/ that. You care more about yourself then anyone else and you deserve a Dr. who you feel is looking out for you!

K~

Closed Thread