It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2006, 03:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User
Bio-Identical hormones

Has anybody ever gone to a Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Center. They specialize in all your autoimmune disorders and hormones including Thyroid. I got a pamphlet in the mail from a website I had visited. There is one in Dallas and will be one in Houston this fall.

I called this morning and they said they give you an extensive evaluation that includes appropriate testing and analysis to determine the underlying causes of your symptoms. They believe the standard tests are sometimes not enough to diagnose some thyroid problems. You have two 30 min. appointments 3 wks apart, the second one going over the lab work. The appointments are $175.00 each and they do not take your insurance. Labwork is covered if lab is in your ins. network but you have to file yourself.

They prescribe bio-identical natural hormone treatment. I was concerned since I cannot take estrogen or progesterone because of breast cancer 8 yrs. ago. I have been on tamoxifen and femera (estrogen blocker) since then. I explained my situation and they said it would not hurt me to take the bio-identical hormones, that they, unlike synthetic hormone, would not increase the risk for me.......that they were like the natural hormones my body makes. But I was not on hormones when I got cancer...........it must have been my own "natural" hormones that at least fed it if not caused it, so I don't understand why these hormones would not hurt me. They do not prescripe Armour, Synthroid, or any of the hormones that we are all taking........................but some kind of bio-identical thyroid.

I did not completely understand this and was wondering if anyone else had been to one of these centers and knew anything about them.

The pamphlet talked about some people have problems with suppressed TSH and low to normal hormone levels........................about the ratio of T3 to reverse T3 and how to uncover hypothyroidism when tests show normal.

Don't want to waste my money again, so wondered if anybody has ever heard of these centers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2006, 08:23 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User
Re: Bio-Identical hormones

SHMILY

I've heard of these centers - heard good things about them. But I can't say more, because I've never been to one.

However, I do take bio-identical hormones, and they are wonderful, especially compared to the synthetic hormones I was taking. No side effects at all, and things like Rosacea and anxiety that I had while still on the synthetic hormones are completely gone with the bio-identical.

I don't have as much of a risk of breast cancer, but my doctor, a holistic M.D., says that, even though I have no uterus anymore, I still have bones and breasts to protect, which is what the Progesterone is for. I have heard that even women who can't take Estrogen because of breast cancer risks, can, and SHOULD still take Progesterone to protect their breasts from cancer. Estrogen can be found even in some foods and therefore, we tend to have more than enough estrogen, but generally have too little progesterone (which makes the ratio between the two "off"). So, it makes sense to take Progesterone to restore the natural balance. Too much estrogen (even from foods) to too little progesterone can be a greater risk to getting breast cancer.

That's all I know. I have a friend who has a high risk of breast cancer in her family, and she will not even look into taking natural progesterone. It really bothers me that she is sinking further and further into horrible menopausal symptoms - that natural progesterone could alleviate. But, she won't even consider it. It's her choice, and yours, but I would encourage you to at least learn as much as you can about it, and be open to what they say at that clinic.

I don't know about the idea that you can still take natural estrogen safely if you have a risk for breast cancer. But from what I understand, it is better to take natural progesterone to protect against breast cancer, uterine cancer, and osteoporosis, than to not take it at all.

Good luck,

Ora

Old 07-25-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User

I'm going to a place possibly somewhat similar to that in Dallas, don't know if I can say the name but it's a Functional Medicine type place that has a compounding pharmacy so the meds are mostly custom compounded.

I've recently switched from Armour to their compounded thyroid medicine but still don't feel just right so am going to ask next week to try compounded slow release T3 as I was on it a couple of years ago and looking back did better with it.

The T3 to Reverse T3 ratio they are talking about if how I was finally after 3 years of being told my thyroid was fine that I was finally diagnosed. My Reverse T3 is elevated which from my understanding makes if difficult for my circulating T3 hormone to get to the receptor sites this giving me symptoms.

They have me on bio-identical hormones as well but I don't know anything about the cancer issue of them so can't comment on that, sorry.

I would be happy with $175.00 per doc appt, I'm paying $300.00 and they don't take insurance either.

Deb

Last edited by Deb123; 07-25-2006 at 09:33 AM.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

Deb.............Did your symptoms go away and do you think it was because of the female hormones or the thyroid compound. Did they increase or decrease your meds? Do you have to get meds from them or can you get filled at your own pharmacy? Is it expensive? Sorry so many ?????? Did they do a lot of tests? and were they very expensive?

They are opening one of these centers in Houston this fall and I wanted to go to that one. It is closer than Dallas. Thanks for you reply and help.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User

Treating the thyroid and adrenals have helped me a lot. I've been having hypo stuff again the last couple of months is why I'm going to ask for the straight T3, I really don't think I will completly normal unless I can clear the excess Reverse T3 out of my body. The amount of T3 in Armour just isn't enough for me I don't think.

YES, this place is expensive but it's been worth it for me as I was basically non-functional when I found them last Sept. and had been for about two years and they have helped me to function again. The first time they ran a ton of tests and that came to about $2,500.00 I think. I had my 10 amalgams removed in Oct. and done some intensive mercury removal with them as well. I've spent a small fortune so far, probably around $8.000.00 but I submit to my insurance and get 70% back so that helps a lot.

They let me stay on Armour and suggested but didn't make me change but I opted to a few months ago as I don't feel like things are where I want them with my thyroid yet. So far, any compounded meds I've gotten from them have been reasonable in price.

If you are having fatigue still after being on thyroid meds be sure to check the adrenals, they checked mine by 24 hour urine and they were completely wiped out. Put me on low dose cortisone and within a week it was like waking up from the dead, I could function again.

Deb

Closed Thread