It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2006, 09:41 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User
WOW! Another positive TT experience!

Since my TT is scheduled (Thank you, God!!) for August 21, my one Aunt insisted that I call another Aunt whose daughter had her thyroid out several years ago.

So, I called and finally spoke to my cousin, who had part of her thyroid removed 13 years ago due to a cold nodule that was coming up "equivocal" on the biopsy (they couldn't tell if it was malignent or not). She has Hashi's, and it took them about 6 years before they figured out that her problems were thyroid related. (Her allergist found the problem by doing thyroid antibodies, even though her regular doc insisted that her thyroid was fine because the TSH was fine). Good GRIEF! I wish I had known all of this in 1993, when she had her surgery, because by that time, I had been sick for 4 years. Now, 13 years later, I am finding out that the surgery relieved ALL of her symptoms, which were like mine - flu-like, aches, pains, foggy head, confusion, horrible fatigue. It took about 8 weeks, until her thyroid hormone levels were normalized, before she felt completely better.

Why didn't I know this 13 years ago???

Of course, there is no guarantee that I will feel any better after the surgery, but I think I have a pretty good chance. It scares me that I have been so sick for 17 years - hard to even IMAGINE feeling better, since I have completely forgotten what if feels like to be without pain, to have any energy, to be able to function.

I would love to hear from others who have tried surgery to relieve their suffering that was caused mainly by anti-thyroid antibodies (autoimmune disease) than by hypo or hyper thryoid symptoms. All of my hypo symptoms have gone away since getting my levels up, but I still feel as though I have the world's worst flu. My docs think the best and only way to treat this, (and the fact that I have a cold nodule in a thryoid under aggressive attack) is total removal of the gland. I am anxious, but afraid.

Anyone??

Love and Prayers,

Ora

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2006, 06:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: WOW! Another positive TT experience!

Ora... Do an advanced search for posts by Kant. Her antibody count was extremely high, and she felt loads better once her gnarled and tangled gland was out and gone. Also look for NodiGoiterGirl. She also recovered well once the gland was taken out.

I'm glad to know you've been given some hope. Wishing you very well!

Old 07-25-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

I would be very encouraged by your cousin's experience. I hope your surgery goes well & brings you all of the hoped-for benefits.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:04 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Thank you both so much. I am so excited! And scared - mostly that I won't feel any better at all, but will then have surgery issues with which to contend.

I am so sick right now that I will do just about anything if I think it might help. I hope I remember writing this in 6 or 8 weeks, when I may feel worse from the surgery....

Thanks again. I'll keep everyone posted. I have been going through some of Kant's old posts, and I'll start on NodiGoiterGirl. I had forgotten about her - thanks for the reminder, midwest1.

Love and Prayers,

Ora

Closed Thread