It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2006, 06:40 AM   #1
(female)

cdn jen HB User
Please help!!! TSH question!!!

Hello,

I'm new here and thank god I found you guys!! I've been experiencing pretty much ALL of the hypothyroidism symptoms (except for hair loss) for over a year now and they are becoming progressively worse and somewhat debilitating. In addition, for the past six months I've been having tightness and pain in my left chest area and some pain in my neck/throat too. I just got a new GYN doctor whom I already love and after hearing this she ordered a TSH test. (My general practitioner just blows me off and says its stress). I just got the results back today (0.88). I'm pretty confused as this is well within the normal range. I'm an active and somewhat healthy 28 yr old female. Any thoughts???

Old 07-25-2006, 07:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Please help!!! TSH question!!!

The GYN was trying to help, and that's good; but since you have so many symptoms, you need more tests. Your TSH does look "normal", but you also need free T4, free T3, and thyroid antibodies to look for Hashimoto's disease.
If your free T4/T3 are in the bottom half of their ranges, and/or if you have thyroid antibodies, you could safely try some supplemental thyroid hormone.
The hard part will be finding a doctor who knows that. They're out there, but they sure can be elusive without a hard search.

Also... have you been tested for iron-deficiency? That could cause a lot of the same symptoms as thyroid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2006, 07:26 AM   #3
(female)

cdn jen HB User

Thank you for the quick reply!!! I just made an apptointment with my family doctor for Monday. I'm going to make it very clear just how horrible I feel. And I'll request the tests you mentioned. I just want to feel better. I'm really sick and tired of being sick and tired!!!

Old 07-26-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
(female)

adgirl HB User

Oh my goodness...you sound like you are going through exactly the same thing as me...I hope all goes well and you get the treatment you need...there seems to be a conspiracy when it comes to treating womens' hormone problems...I started seeing my quality of life go down dramatically after giving birth the my son...and no doctor seems to want to help or run the right tests. I'm just taking a moment to vent...but doesn't it seem like it's so easy to claim that a woman is a stress patient or hysterical rather than thinking outside the box and finding out what is wrong. Let me know how things go...
Marissa

Old 07-27-2006, 05:40 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

i'm with you--------women's hormone problems are always a point of hypochondria. i thought all of my symptoms were from menopause. WRONG! have an enlarged thyroid with 1 cold nodule. I see the endo in august so hopefully she can do something to make me right again.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:18 AM   #6
(female)

appleofearth HB User

Definitely get them to run a full thyroid panel for you, not just TSH. My TSH has always been within normal range and my Free T3 and T4 are in the lower end of the ranges which is what makes me feel ill.

Might be worth looking for a doctor that believes in food intolerances as well... that can cause a lot of similar symptoms.

I have finally found one that actually listens to me, she's tested me for loads of stuff and I'm currently on an elimination diet to see if something I'm eating is adding to my problems - no wheat, dairy, gluten, alcohol, tea, etc... might work.

could be worth looking into polycystic ovary syndrome as well, that's another one that has overlapping symptoms...

Becky

Old 07-29-2006, 01:00 AM   #7
(female)

daisy01 HB User

jsut to add to what the others have said, diabetes can also have similar symptoms to thyroid.

my advice to you is to keep on at the docs, get every test thats going, and most importantly never ever feel like a hypochondriac. You know how ill you feel compared to how you normally feel and function. Dont give up xxxx
sending you my very best
daisy xxxx

Closed Thread