It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User
white blood cell count in hashimoto's??

Hi everyone, I can't remember if I already posted this on here awhile back, but anyways I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not a low white blood count could be because of Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I'm so stressed out because I have been having soo many health issues lately and I'm getting scared. I just found out that I have an ulcer which is causing me constant stomach aches, I am just getting over mononucleosis, and I have Hashi's!!Now I found out today that I do have a low white blood cell count. My regular doc seemed a little concerned but said she would check it out again in about three weeks. I do have my very first appt tomorrow with a endocrinologist and I can't wait. I will also ask him, but I am impatient. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:47 PM   #2
(male)

gobipuba HB User
Re: white blood cell count in hashimoto's??

I had a low white blood count and possible thyroid issues. I am not sure if they are connected are not. What is your number for your WBC?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

Hi, my number is 3.6 normal at that lab is 4.0-10.5

What is yours?

Old 07-25-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
(female)

browneyegurl HB User

Hi Carisa. I have Hashi's. At the time of diagnosis my labs also showed a low white count - 3.9 in a range of 4.5 to11.0. My doctor didn't seemed too concerned about it and told me not to worry. I did ask another doctor about it and he also told me not to worry. You still have to wonder if there isn't some kind of connection to thyroid disease.

Please post what the endocrinologist says about this. I'd be interested in what you are told. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

My white count, even with Hashi's, is normal. But I want to mention something about your stomach ulcers. I had years and years of pain and ulcers (over 20 years), and just 3 years ago it was discovered that my problems were caused by a bacteria, H. Pylori. This is not uncommon, especially is thyroid patients, I have learned. The antibiotics they put me on were very expensive - almost $300 total, since there were so many. But they did the job, and for the first time in over 20 years, I can eat spicy foods and have no stomach pain.

I urge you, if you haven't had an upper GI, to have one done to rule out H. Pylori. It is very common, and easy to treat, but it does a LOT of damage if let go.

Good Luck!

Ora

Old 07-25-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
(female)

browneyegurl HB User

I would like to chime in on the stomach complaints also. I too had H. Pylori. Was diagnosed via a blood test about 5 years ago. I did the antibiotic treatment, which was not fun, but (knock on wood) seems to have worked.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

I actually was at the doctors today about my stomach issues. I have not had an H. Pylori test done yet. She said that if I still am having stomach problems in two more weeks than she would have me take do that endoscopy, the camara down the throat. What is the upper GI? Also, what were both of your symptoms with it? Mine is just a constant constant stomach ache. Always there. I have had it now for about a month straight. I am currently on prevacid, my doctor is almost sure I have an ulcer. I really wanted to have the H. Pylori test done today, but she wanted me to wait. That is very interesting that H. Pylori is common in people with thyroid disease. Hmm.

Carisa

Old 07-25-2006, 09:38 PM   #8
(male)

gobipuba HB User

My white blood count was 4.2 and doctors said not to worry as well.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:23 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

My symptoms were mainly just constant stomach pain. If I ate something acidic,though, like a tomato, I would be doubled over with sharp, stabbing pains, so obviously, I didn't eat anything acidic!

My dx was "Duodenal ulcer." The report from 20 years ago said I had a "dime sized tear" in the duodenum. I was on every kind of medicine - prylosac, previcid, zantac, protonox, etc. They helped, but never really got rid of the problem like the antibiotics did!

H. Pylori also runs in families. So far, 3 of my 5 siblings have tested positive. There is some stuff on the Internet about how some researchers think that H. Pylori may trigger autoimmune dysfunction - not sure how. But it is interesting.... More than likely, the gastroenterologist said, I have had the bacteria for most of my life.

The upper GI is just a look at the stomach, esophagus, etc. I was asleep for mine, so don't remember how it's done, but they do put a camera down there and look at images on the screen. Also, they did a biopsy and sent it out for confirmation that the bacteria was actually there. The report said I had "chronic gastritis," which I guess you could say is a constant stomach ache!

For some reason, one can have the bacteria and have it not cause problems for a long time, and then it acts up. My sister was completely disabled by her stomach pains - she was disabled for over 3 years before they found the problem - the pains just suddenly hit her at around age 38. Mine happened at around age 21 or 22, but weren't really bad until I was in my mid thirties.

I would definitely persue this path to see if it may be the source of your stomach problems.

Good luck!

Ora

Old 07-26-2006, 11:26 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

thank you, I am going to keep looking into all of my health issues until they are figured out.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:17 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

I went to my endocrinologist appt. today and he said he doesn't think my low white blood cell count has anything to do with the hashimoto's.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:45 AM   #12
(female)

daisy01 HB User

in my experience this hashi's monster does all sorts of weird things to our blood test results.

just before xmas i had an elevated WBC of 13 plus an elevated carcino embryoinic antigen levels. Both indicated that I had some form of cancer somewhere in my body it was just a matter of where. It was the worst xmas of my life. I then had about 4 months of being scanned scoped prodded and blood tests, all proved negative.
My endo told me that the hashis antibodies can skew many blood test results, so this may be the case with you also.
best wishes xxx
daisy

Old 07-27-2006, 08:38 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

That's interesting, although it doesn't surprise me. It seems like people with hashi's have all sorts of weird things going on. It just seems to never end! Sometimes I think I'm dying......

Old 07-27-2006, 09:40 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Ditto the "dying" part! And, if I don't THINK I'm dying, I WANT to be dying! There isn't a day that has gone by that I have not begged God to just let me die.

But, what I REALLY want is to get better, and to get back to work, and to have somewhat of a life, like other people.

My white counts have always been well within normal range, during my 17 year long nightmare. Or slightly elevated, especially when the inflammation is raging. But I agree that Hashi's can make things look weird. How did I have a beautiful 1.6 TSH while being practically bed-ridden and completely non-functional?

Things have GOT to be better without the gland, than with!

Old 07-28-2006, 07:11 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Not to make anyone's life worse, but has your doc done a differential on the WBC? That would be most telling. There are a number of subsets of white cells. Some may be normal, others not, or they may just be all-round sl. depressed.

Best wishes.

Closed Thread