It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2006, 07:55 PM   #1
(female)

teach24 HB User
Feeling sick again

Hello. I was diagnosed with Hashi's in May after about 6 months of wrong diagnosis. My doctor feels I am in the early stages of hypothyroidism due to my Hashi's. I was put on Synthroid and started to feel better. About 3 weeks ago, my meds were increased and I was put on a different medication (the one that starts with an L...I can't remember the name). Anyhow...now I am feeling really tired again. I am really tired until after lunch usually. Then, I can't seem to fall asleep at night. Is this due to my body getting used the the medication or are my symptoms getting worse? I don't understand much about this disease, although I've read a ton about it.

I'm looking for answers (in non-medical terms...I'm tired of doctors)...I hope someone can help!

1. Since I have Hashi's (my numbers were very high), is my hypothyroidism going to keep getting worse? Or, will the medication eventually stop the symptoms?

2. Since I am on medication, will my body stop producing the antibodies? Or, do the antibodies continue to attack the thyroid?

Thank you for any help you can give me!

Old 07-26-2006, 04:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Feeling sick again

Hi, It seems you started having problems since your doctor changed your medicine brand. Do you know why it was changed?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
(female)

littlemamaj1950 HB User

Good Afternoon Teach....

I take synthroid and have for the last 3 years. At one point I had to call the office to get a new script and the nurse sent the script for a generic form which started with an L also. When I saw my endo the following month he was not happy at all as I have blood work done 2 weeks before I see him and my numbers were not good. Fortunately, this happened within a month. At that point he did inform me that I only take synthroid...no generic. I did tell him how I got the script and he said he would talking with the nurse. So even though generics are cheaper and just as effective in some...others need the brand. I say go back to the Synthroid.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:14 AM   #4
(female)

jjules HB User

Hi Teach, Could it be Levothyroxiod? That's what they have started me on 25mcg. Can't say as I am feeling any better on it but it's only been a couple of weeks. I would talk to your doctor maybe you need the Synthriod. Good luck! Jules

Old 07-26-2006, 11:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

I agree. You were doing well on Synthroid but someone decided you would do just as well on the generic (levothyroxine?).

Make them give you the name brand Synthroid and you should get to feeling better. Generics are supposed to be equivalents but in the case of Synthroid there is a huge difference apparently.

BTW, I just found Synthroid out of Canada for $21 for 100 pills, about a third of what my co-pay is if purchased through my Rx insurance company's mail order service. The generic version is $14 but I will stick to Synthroid, by choice and per doctor's orders.

Closed Thread