It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2006, 01:52 AM   #1
(female)

carroc HB User
Radioactive....RAI today

Dear Friends,

Wow, this has been a long summer with two surgeries to remove both halves of my thyroid as well as being diagnosed with papillary carcinoma. I've been on the Low Iodine Diet for almost three weeks now in preparation for the RAI pill and I've probably lost 10 lbs. So far the worst part of this experience was going off the Cytomel and transitioning into the hypo state. I felt a bit crazy for about 4 days and cryed at the drop of a hat. Today, I went to the hospital to injest my RAI tablet (100 mcc) and it felt as if I was in a science fiction movie as I watched the radiologist remove this rather large metal canister which contained my dose. As she opened the canister under the fume hood a gas was released and she instructed me to remove the blue ribbon and raise out the glass vile after she left the room. The pill contained in the vile was no larger than a benedryl tablet and was grey in color. There I stood in solitude with this radioactive tablet in my hand. I gulped it down with the water provided and was then rushed out of the nuclear medicine room. I was given a long list of directions which I've been following carefully as my radioactive period is confinded to home rather than a hospital bed.

I feel pretty good except for the nausia. I've been drinking a lot of lemon water, chewing gum and sucking on Altoid sours. It's a strange feeling knowing that you are radioactive. My two cats are wondering why they have been banished to the living room without much affection from me. I tried to explain it to them but I don't think they are getting the drift.

I'll be happy when this whole ordeal is OVER! I feel as if this experience has changed me as a person and has allowed me an opportunity to reevaluate my life. Luckily, I'm a school teacher and have been off work for the summer.

I didn't really have a question to ask today, rather I wanted to put this post out there for others who are traveling down the same road I've been on. I hope this post is helpful to someone; I sure appreciate all that this board has done for me.

Sincerely,
Connie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2006, 05:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Radioactive....RAI today

Yay----you're at the end! Soon you can go on medication!

I remember how happy I was that the RAI part was over and done with.

That was really nice of you to post your experience for others who come here scared and nervous about it.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
(female)

kwebster HB User

Connie!
Congrats! I am getting ready to do the RAI on August 7th except I get to be in the hospital (pap carcinoma like you). Thanks for the info on the pill. I was really scared about drinking some liquid. Now I am worried about the nausea. Could you lend a little more info - like when did it start, how bad is it.

I have prepared a bag of stuff for the hospital and a bag of stuff for a hotel after my stay. I put candies in there books, etc. but no nausea meds. What did you do about this?

I too am off Cytomel (one week plus) and on the second week of the diet - not too bad. Thanks for any info!

Kathy

Old 07-26-2006, 10:53 AM   #4
(female)

indias HB User

This message is for KWEBSTER. I Had My Rai On June 13. The Nausea Came About 24 Hours After Injesting The Rai. Tell The Nurse As Soon As You Feel The Least Bit Of Nausea And She Will Give You Finigrin Or Something Like It. It Takes A Little While For It To Kick In. I Waited Too Long To Let Them Know I Wasn't Feeling Well And Lost My Lunch And Felt Bad For Several Hours. It Did Pass Though. Just Before Loosing Lunch, I Became Extremely Dizzy And Just Before That My Hands (palms) Began To Burn Painfully And Turned Blood Red.
I Think The Secret Is To Get The Nausea Meds Asap And Avoid The Bad Reaction. The Candy Should Be Something Sour Like "lemon Heads" Or Sour Gummys To Keep The Salivary Glands Working And Preventing Damage To Them.
However, It's Difficult To Suck On Candy When You Are Feeling Nauseous. My Mouth Was Raw From The Hard Candy.
I Also Have Gone Through Six Weeks Of Not Being Able To Taste Salt Or Sugar Or Much Of Anything Else And Having A Very Bitter Taste In My Mouth. This Happens Sometimes. My Taste Is Gradually Coming Back So Guess It's Temporary.
Good Luck!
India

Last edited by indias; 07-26-2006 at 10:58 AM.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

Your doctor took a lot more precautions than mine. He opened the lead canister, removed the pill and handed it to me in a small paper cup. He watched me swallow it.

He wasn't wearing any protective clothing or gloves either. My pill contained 155 of those little curries.

BTW, I had no ill effects from it other than dry mouth--no nausea at all.

I, too, had to keep two kittens at bay for a week.

Last edited by Archie343; 07-26-2006 at 11:19 AM.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
(female)

rockylucy05 HB User

Hi Connie!

Wow! The way you describe the way you had to take the RAI and the after effects...really scared me. I have Hahshimoto and was thinking about RAI or the surgery. I have a 1.25 cm nodule. I am sure you are glad you are at the end of all of this and might be able to enjoy some of the summer. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Take care! Let us know how you are doing. {{Hugs}}

Cindy

Old 07-26-2006, 03:54 PM   #7
(female)

kwebster HB User

Thanks guys for the info. Just waiting around for that atomic cocktail! A little worried but not much I can do!
Kathy

Old 07-26-2006, 09:02 PM   #8
(male)

vital HB User

how long should one request time off from work if he goes through RAI?

Old 07-27-2006, 01:58 AM   #9
(female)

carroc HB User

Dear Friends,

I didn't mean to alarm anybody with my story; it just reminded me of a sci-fi movie with me playing the lead character.

Well, today is day two radioactive. I felt pretty naucious this afternoon and had to lie down for a while. Luckily, the nausia passes fairly quickly and I didn't have to take any medication. Once I awoke from my nap, I felt great for the remainder of the evening. Tomorrow morning will conclude forty- eight hours for me.

I'm beginning to feel more fatigued than I had the two weeks prior to the RAI pill. Apparently, whatever thyroid cells remained in my body were supplying me with hormone; I feel that perhaps the radioactivity is slowly killing off these remaining cells as the fatigue is setting in rapidly.

One of the most difficult parts of this entire home radiation process is distancing myself from my two cats. They reallly don't understand why they can't sleep in the same bedroom as me and why I'm not peting or brushing them as often as I used to.

I'll post again tomorrow and for those of you who are about to embark on the RAI, don't worry too much...it really isn't that bad.

Talk to Ya'll Soon,
Connie

Old 07-27-2006, 02:03 AM   #10
(female)

carroc HB User

Dear Vital,

I forgot to answer you question in my last post regarding the amount of time you should take off work. If you get treated at home like me, state law will probably mandate that you remain in your domicle for four complete days. I had to sign a bunch of paperwork stating the fact that I would follow and comply with all standarized state and federal requirements. With all of this in mind, if you can afford to take a full week off, then you wouldn't have to worry about the fatigue setting in prior to your body scan one week later.

Final Answer: I think you should take off a week.

Good Luck,
Connie

Closed Thread