It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2006, 04:32 AM   #1
(female)

ginger3130 HB Userginger3130 HB User
Antidepressants and thyroid

I am hypo thyroid and am getting ready for a hysterectormy in about a month. The doctor suggested I start a med now to help with anxiety and the depression I will feel afterwards (it will be kinda like post-partum I guess). He suggested Lexapro.

Has anyone who is hypothyroid taken Lexapro? I took Celexa for years and put on about 30 lbs that I've never taken off! Lexapro makes me feel the same, relaxed, not a care in the world way and I'm afraid it would just make me even fatter - except I wouldn't care! Yikes!

Does anyone have experience taking Prozac? If I take that in low doses it does help with happiness along with Klonopin for anxiety?

Old 07-26-2006, 07:28 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User
Re: Antidepressants and thyroid

Hi Sheila ~
What thyroid med are you taking? Some antidpression/anxiety medications don't mix well with thy meds. They can either work together & bring out the BEST, or like in my case, bring out the WORST in each other. My bad combo was Levothyroxine (generic Synthroid) & Zoloft. I did much better after switching to Wellbutrin. But my REAL ray of SUN LIGHT is Cytomel.
Since I started taking it 3 months ago, under Dr's care, we've discontinued my taking ANY anti-d meds And I'm doing great!

Basically, I think you'll just have to wait & see what effects you may have. Sorry I don't have experience with Lexapro.

Sue

Last edited by sudufu; 07-26-2006 at 07:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2006, 09:25 AM   #3
(female)

jjules HB User

Hi Sheila, I take 10mg of Lexapro and started 25mcg of Levothyroxiod about 3 weeks ago. I have not had any side effects so far but I haven't got my bloodwork done yet to see if the Levo is working yet. I have lost 12lbs since being on Lexapro (iv'e been on it a year). I don't think you will have to worry about weight gain especially it you watch what you eat and exercise. Good luck on your surgery! Jules

Old 07-26-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

Are you anticipating the depression or is it just the doctor who expects it?

Unless you have a history of depression I wouldn't suggest taking an anti-depressant as a prophylactic.

I know depression is common with hypothyroidism but it isn't universal. I had absolutely no problems with it after my TT and before the RAI when I was forced into a deep hypo state.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

I would make sure all the docs know all the relevant history. Thyroid, psych, & gyne.

Are you having a total, tossing the ovaries as well? Could that be part of the reason for the pre-emptive AD? You want to think estrogen replacement issues through carefully if that's the case.

Personally, if I had to do this I think I'd stick with something that had a predictable response, something I was familiar with. Then get over the rough patch, trauma of surgery, etc. When you're back on your feet, if you want to mess with a different AD, that would be the time to do it. Otherwise, if the new AD doesn't work, has side effects or whatever, then you'll experience a sort of trifecta of suffering.

What works for any given individual isn't a matter of a poll on a forum; it's how the person's unique physiology meshes w/the drug.

Best wishes.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:04 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

LisaBob HB User

Hey Sheila,

I took Synthroid and Lexapro for years with no adverse effects in any way. (I gained the weight after my insurance company made me take a generic instead of my Synthroid.)

Good luck with everything!!!!!!

Closed Thread