nuclear scan showed an enlarged thyroid with cold multi-nodular cyst. ENT found that the very top of my esophagus is swollen. blood test result sin yesterday. ANA is negative. Creatinine level is high. TSH w/reflex to FT4 is 1.68, dr. said everything is normal but still wants me to see endo. hat is the TSH w/reflex to FT4? is it a normal number?
The only question I can answer is that "TSH with reflex to FT4" means that only the TSH test has been ordered. If it comes back out of range, they then run the FT4. Your TSH is within range, but that doesn't mean your thyroid is necessarily healthy.
i guess that's what is confusing me. the uptake that was done says that I am definitely under active. have most of the symptoms so i don't know what to do at this point but wait my 6-7 weeks to see the endo. thanks for responding.
would like a little information from all of you please. I am very confused, I was told I had hyperactive thyroid when I went for my physical. My doctor then sent me for a scan, the scan measured my thyroid, then from that I went to do the nuclear something or other. From that I got that I have a cold nodule, did not absorve the iodine, so I was sent to a Surgeon, he did the niddle "thingy" and said that he did not think it was cancer, but is sending me to a Radiation Ocologist, any of you gone through it?
I am going to my pysician to discuss all of that tomorrow.
i also have just been dx with the "cold nodule" my pcp wants me to see an endo and leave it up to her how she wants to proceed. uptake says i am hypo but my dr. doesn't seem to be concerned about waiting 6-7 weeks to see the endo. the next thing on the list he warned me might be the FNA>
It's "Fine Needle Aspiration" - basically, a biopsy on the nodule. I have a cold nodule (they are called "cold" because they don't take up any of the dye when the uptake scan is done - a "warm" nodule takes up too much dye). The only ones who seemed worried about it was me, and my Holistic doc - the Endo and pcp couldn't have cared less. Also, the doc who read the uptake scan. But rest of docs acted like it was no big deal. For over 2 years, I had to, on my own initiative, keep going back and having it biopsied, always with the fear that it would come out abnormal (so far, so good). Now, thankfully, a surgeon is removiing my whole thyroid b/c he says my risk of developing cancer (if I don't have it already) is 30% higher than (and the part after that I really didn't hear).
Oh, BTW. There is usually little rush among Endo's about this stuff. I don't know if it is because thyroid cancer is relatively rare, and usually very slow growing, so there is plenty of time. At least, I assume that is their reasoning. Of course, if THEY were suffering like we are, they would want to be seen yesterday, instead of waiting 6-7 weeks.
Please don't worry about your nodule - by don't let anyone tell you it is nothing. It needs to be checked, b/c while thryoid cancer is rare, it does occur, and more so in a cold nodule than in a warm one.