It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Selenium? Yes or no?

Is it good to take Selenium? If so, what is the recommended dose, when do you take it (with meds or hours later), what is it supposed to do?

For those who take it, do you feel it helps? How long after starting to take it will it help?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User
Re: Selenium? Yes or no?

If you take a T4 or T3 drug and tend toward the hypo side, the answer is Yes. Take selenium. It will help your body make better use of the thyroxine.

Take it at least 4 hours after the thyroxine.

The RDA is around 70mcg I believe so don't overdo it. Selenium is widely available in a 200mcg pill so it is probably safe to take that much. To be on the safe side I break the 200mcg pills in half and take 100mcg per day, a little more than the RDA.

My body was very slow to reap the benefits of my Synthroid when I first started taking it. It may be just a coincidence but I noticed a big improvement not long after I added selenium to my supplement routine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

My daily multivitamin has 200 mcg. I've been taking that much for years. I was told by a nutritionist that I could take as much as 400 mcg.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

I take 150 mcg/day that comes as part of my multi.

Some good research out there shows potential benefit for antibody reduction in autoimmune thyroid disease.

Also, selenium is used in the enzymes (selenoenzymes) that convert inactive T4 to active T3.

HTH.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
(female)

SJLGI HB User

I take 100mg a day. As well as helping convert T4 to T3 it also helps with depression -

Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1990;102(4):549-50.

Selenium supplementation improves mood in a double-blind crossover trial.

Benton D, Cook R.

Department of Psychology, University College, Swansea, Wales, UK.

The possibility that a sub-clinical deficiency of the trace element selenium might exist in a sample of the British population was examined by giving a selenium supplemented for 5 weeks. Using a double-blind crossover design 50 subjects received either a placebo or 100 micrograms selenium on a daily basis. On three occasions they filled in the Profile of Moods state. Mood did not change when taking the placebo, whereas when taking the selenium the subjects reported a substantial improvement after both 2.5 and 5 weeks.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Thank you all for your responses, I really appreciate it!

I started taking 200 mcg Selenium yesterday. I do still have hypo symptoms. My Free T3 remains low though the doctor added Cytomel about five weeks ago. I hope this may help to bring it up!

Thanks again.

Closed Thread