It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
(female)

adgirl HB User
Exclamation I suspect thyroid problems but can't seem to get any answers...please help!

Hi there,
I'm hoping someone can help me..I have had symptoms of a thyroid problem sice the birth of my child 3 years ago. I finally convinced a doctor to do some blood work because I have suffered from tremors, fatigue, heart palpitations, hair falling out, terrible menstrual cycles. The doctor checked for tsh and prolactin only...according to the doctor he says this is all psychological (no past history of such things) and that my tsh is normal at 1.41 and prolactin at 9.0 and that I can't possibly have a thyroid problem...can anyone shed some light on this?...I'm sure that something hormonal changed dramatically after the birth of my child and I'm sure I'm not crazy...please help,
Marissa:

Old 07-26-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
(female)

adgirl HB User
Re: I suspect thyroid problems but can't seem to get any answers...please help!

I forgot to add that the range for the tsh test was .35-5.0 ( I don't know if that means anything but there it is...just in case....) I am also having terrible dizzy spells and am very frustrated that the doctor seems to be thinking it is just me...I've never had a history of any psychological issues -everything changed in my body so dramatically after childbirth...has anyone else gone through the same thing...?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Good Gracious!! Sometimes I think there should be a law preventing some physicians from practicing! Particularly those numbskulls who think that symptoms experienced during or after pregnancy are "psychological." I am SO sorry you are suffering like this!

When I was 5 months pregnant, I literally woke up one morning, wracked with pain. I had been suffering from extreme fatigue, and 2 years prior to that, had a large swelling in my thyroid gland, which the doc said was "normal." (The thyroid, not the swelling). During my pregnancy, no one checked my thryoid, but told me emphatically that they couldn't find anything wrong with me, and that I was depressed. I've been on every Anti-depressant made since then, and NONE have helped. 17 years later, after suffering horribly, losing my ability to work, my savings, marriage, home, horses, and everything else of any value to me, it was finally discovered that I have Hashi's - and that the destruction of my thyroid gland has been going on for "a long time." Obviously, at LEAST since my pregnancy!

Yes, women can OFTEN experience thyroid disease during, and after pregnancy. It is not uncommon for a woman to begin to have symtpoms of thyroiditis 6 months after the baby is born. It is now well known, while it was not so well known when I was pregnant.

My TSH was always normal, and so no other tests were done. It was not until I insisted on further testing, about 3 years ago, that the abnormality was found. Ultrasound showed the gland's abnormal size and abnormal uptake, antibody titres showed very high levels, and the actual thyroid hormones circulating in my blood, the Free T3 and Free T4, were in the basement. I have a cold nodule, and am scheduled for a TT in 3 weeks.

Please, please, for your own sake, and your child's, get another opinion. Ask for more testing, research post-partum thyroiditis, and keep us posted. Also, please post here your actual lab results. Like I said, I was told for 17 years that my tests were "normal." They were wrong, and I have paid a HEAVY price.

Good luck, and Blessings!

Ora

Old 07-26-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
(female)

adgirl HB User

Thank you so much and I am so sorry that you have suffered so long...what a horrible shame...it makes my 3 1/2 years seems like nothing. I am just so tired of feeling this way and i still remember what it was like to feel normal and healthy. Just pray that a doctor will finally find out what is happening to me and that they will do the tests...I feel as though I am having to pull teeth and defend myself...it is a terribly depressing and debilitating sickness; whatever it is and it has taken it's toll on my family life as well. Although my husband is as supportive as he can be, I can't help but believe that because I cannot get a diagnosis, that he feels like it is a mental thing as well. This has been an absolute nightmare for me...I have always been very active and now I am so fatigued, that it's all I can do to work and come home ( because I am in sales, I have to sneak home sometimes to sleep because I can't keep my eyes open, or I am so dizzy that I can't function) I find it very difficult to cope with being told I am depressed when I know I am only depressed because I am physically worn down. I will take your advice ... may have to go to another doctor and insist on the further testing, but I will get it done. I hope that all goes well for you from now on and that you are blessed with an easier ride from here on in...sounds like you are far overdue for a break. Thank you so much for being so supportive...I am going through a very difficult time right now and have been feeling very alone...the doctors are so quick to say that you are depressed or have anxiety that they basically bully you into almost believing you are mentall ill...again, thank you so much.
Marissa

Old 07-26-2006, 08:39 PM   #5
(female)

teach24 HB User

adgirl,

I was misdiagnosed for quite some time. My thyroid numbers were not that bad (I think they were within normal range). However, upon further testing, we found out that my antibody numbers were outrageous. Ask your doctor to do an antibody test. It could be that you are in the early stages of a thyroid problem due to Hashimoto's disease (I have Hashi's). I refused to let doctors tell me it was mental (I almost started to wonder after so many misdiagnoses).

Best of luck to you.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Marissa,

I know exactly what you mean about having to defend yourself. My own family (siblings, aunts/uncles, etc) and even some friends (but not many - my friends have been SO supportive!) were sure it was "all in my head" or that I was just being a whining sissy who couldn't deal with the little normal signs of aging. Even my neighbors, since I had to go on disability, act as though THEY are working to support me, while I sit around and enjoy my leisure! Little do they realize that I would give my eye teeth to trade places with them!

My religion teaches that one is supposed to have charity - to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, etc. It amazes me the lack of charity among people. Everyone is so stressed out working, trying to make ends meet, that they have no room for anyone else. I feel sorry for single mom's who have trouble finding someone to watch their children when they get snow days, and the mom still has to work. So, for years I have been babysitting my neighbor's son on days when school is called off and she has to be at work anyway - it makes things so much easier for her. But she has never even sent me a Christmas card, offered to go to the store for me, or offered to do a thing for me. It hurts me so much that as much as I try to do things for others, as best I can, they cannot return the kindness. I don't know why it is, but when you are sick, and cannot work, it seems that everyone resents you. That is my experience, so I know exactly what you are up against. People are so quick to judge, but not as quick to lend a hand.

I guess I'm just trying to let you know that you are NOT alone - there are plenty of people who are suffering, and who know what you are going through. Hang in there - at least you still remember what it feels like to feel good. I have long forgotten - but still have hope. One thing I plan to do if I ever get better is to go ask an elderly relative or neighbor if they need anything at the store, or if they have had a decent meal today, or if I can clean their house for them. I have learned that charity towards others in need is a great virtue!

Another thing I would strongly advise is to get copies of all your lab work, any other tests, and even letters that your doc might get from referred docs. (Like, I go each year for a biopsy on my thyroid nodule, and always get the pathology report, as well as the Endo's letter to my doc, explaining his findings). It is very important to know exactly what is being done, and what the results are.

Blessings, love and prayers!

Ora

Old 07-27-2006, 07:18 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

LisaBob HB User

Hi Marissa,

My hypo started sometime during/after my twin pregnancy. I was fortunate that I had doctors who did the right tests and diagnosed and treated me the best they knew how.

That was about 9 years ago now and while my hypo remains a correct diagnosis, I've been incorrectly diagnosed with another autoimmune disease. After finding and reading this board I am convinced that my hypothyroidism is the reason for every symptom I have (which are the same as yours).

I have an appointment with an endocrinologist that I found in an online search who's primary focus is thyroid disorders. I am anxious to find out if I need more than the synthroid.

I agree with the suggestion that you find a doctor who will listen. It's critical to your health and recovery!

Old 07-27-2006, 08:11 AM   #8
(female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

Marissa...so sorry for you..a good thyroid book to read...Could It Be My Thyroid? by Sheldon Rubenfeld MD...has lots of info on getting a diagnosis/treatment...i hope you can find a doctor that can help you very soon...please let us know what happens...Ora,am so sorry for you also...what a mess your thyroid made of your health and no one cared....blessings to you and please take care...pinkprincess

Old 07-27-2006, 11:35 AM   #9
(female)

daisy01 HB User

I can only echo what the others have said hun xxx

sending you my very best from across the pond
daisy xxx

Old 07-27-2006, 11:52 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User

Something I learned from someone just recently is that if there is an increase in TSI(antibody they check for Graves) then it can cause the TSH to be falsely decreased, so that in itself is a reason to get antibody testing done. I myself have a doctor that keeps saying she thinks that she is missing something because my daughter was born with sever Graves that I passed to her(which has since passed)and then developed sever TED, and have what all doctors want to say are NORMAL thyroid levels(I am hypothroid now). The only thyroid levels that show any sign of being elevated is the TSI, which is normal as I have Graves...but they become more elevated the more active the disease becomes. Push for Antibody testing, for your own sake!! I hope you get a doctor that will find what you need to help you soon!
Val

Old 07-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #11
(female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

Marissa...there are thyroid problems in my family,both sides...my mother had her thyroid taken out when she was 19...sometimes they run in families...hope you can get that book to read and a doctor to help you feel better...Ora,its so sad that you went through all of this with your thyroid...our thyroid does lots of stuff for us...doctors should remember that and the symptoms it can cause

Old 07-27-2006, 03:44 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Oh, thank you, pinkprincess, for your kindness! I think if I ever get well enough to where I can function (I would accept even 30% of what I used to be able to do - it's better than what I have now!), I am going to spend the rest of my life screaming about the inadequacy of the TSH, and the enormous human suffering caused by docs over-dependence on it as a diagnostic tool.

Yes, thyroid disease can run in families, and even manifest in different ways. My mother and sister both had thyroid disease. As soon as my sister was dx'd, I went to my doc asking to be tested AGAIN, since a family member was dx'd - same story - "your TSH is normal, so you don't have it." When my mom was dx'd two years before she died (and it was obvious at the time that she had been misdiagnosed for many years, and probably had thyroid inflammation after each one of her pregnancies), same story - "Your TSH is normal, so you are lucky you don't have what your sister and mom have!" Sheesh! Now, my niece is dx'd with bi-polar, but she has a golf-ball sized swelling in her neck, right in the same vacinity as the thyroid! Did anyone do a check for thyroid disease? No - she is under the care of psychiatrists, and is on Lithium.

So, yes, it runs in families, but can manifest symptoms in different ways.

Love and Prayers,

Ora

Old 07-27-2006, 04:25 PM   #13
(female)

adgirl HB User
Cool Re: I suspect thyroid problems but can't seem to get any answers...please help!

Hi everyone! Thank you all so much for your support and information...it has been such a long battle. You get to a point where you get so upset at arguing with doctors...it seems like it is like pulling teeth to get the tests done...I will keep on going though...will not give up...I have a family history on my father's side of both graves disease and hashimotos thyroiditus...that is what led me to suspect that the thyroid might be the cause of my problems...my first year after my little guy was the worst because doctors kept accusing me of being post partum and wouldn't run any tests...then when it didn't go away, they run tsh and say that it is normal and offer anti-depressants again...considering what I've been through, I am actually not depressed at all...just want to feel well again. I am almost sure that it is my thyroid, it is just a matter of getting a doctor to run the bloodwork...we have problems out here with a real lack of family doctors too...so I am relying on walk in clinics that seem to enjoy doing the bare minimum to get you out the door...Pinkprincess, I am going to read the book you've recommended...everyone cross your fingers and let's hope I can convince one of these doctors to do the blood work I need. Take care and I will keep you all posted. I am also going to look online to see if I can find an endocrinologist who specializes in thyroid (that's a great idea)....after all, I met all of you wonderful people online...again thank you...it means so much to me!

Old 07-27-2006, 05:59 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Another option for you is to have the labs done yourself at one of the web sites that do them. I've only heard of them, but there are people on this board who have had their labs done by them. Apparently, you just request the tests yourself, (and pay for them), and they have satellite stations in various places where you go have the blood drawn. It is sent to their labs for testing, and the results are sent to you. Had I known about the existence of these labs years ago, I would have done the tests myself, instead of begging, doctor shopping, being made to feel as though I was a real crackpot, etc. When I begged and pleaded with my Endo to do antibodies, she gave me the hardest time, but I insisted. When they came back as "greater than 25,600" she actually did a double take. Then, she recovered and told me that the antibodies had "no bearing on how one feels." That defies common sense!

Anyway, if worse comes to worse, you can try one of those labs that lets you order your own tests. It's an option I wish I knew I had.

Blessings!

Ora

Old 07-28-2006, 03:57 AM   #15
(female)

adgirl HB User
Wink Re: I suspect thyroid problems but can't seem to get any answers...please help!

Thanks Ora! I had no idea these labs existed...this may be a way of getting around the "run around" I would definately pay rather than constantly beg and plead. I'm going to try and find one of these labs and do it that way...thanks again, you are a good friend.
Marissa

Closed Thread