It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2006, 09:58 PM   #1
(female)

cryimgoutloud HB User
question aboutTinnitus and thyroid

Does tinnitus and thyroid go hand and hand? I went to the E.R. several days ago for the choking/ pressure feeling in my throat and ringing in my right ear;and was
told that I have an enlarged thyroid and I should be on medication. He felt this is the reason for the ringing. I have an appointment for the ENdo Clinic but until December.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2006, 10:40 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User
Re: question aboutTinnitus and thyroid

I suspect there is a relationship. I began having trouble with my thyroid being inflammed in 1986 (although was not dx'd until 2003), and in 1994 began having tinnitus. I never experienced tinnitus before that, the ringing has never let up since 1994, and just this past year I was told by an ENT that it was caused by my throid problems (I have Hashi's, with very high antibodies). He felt I should seriously consider getting my thryoid out, so I got a couple of other opinions, and am now scheduled for a total thyroidectomy August 21st.

I PRAY that it is the attack on my thryoid that is causing my tinnitus because that might mean that TT may solve the problem.

On the other hand, I have chronic nasal congestion, and have heard that may be the cause, too.

Your post was encouraging to me, because I have not heard too many docs say there is a connection between the two. Please keep us posted!

Blessings!

Ora

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I know there's a connection. Every single source of reputable information about tinnitis on the web lists hypothyroidism as a cause.

December?!?! What the heck?!?! Can you get on a cancellation list so you might be seen earlier?

Old 07-27-2006, 09:10 AM   #4
(female)

browneyegurl HB User

Tinnitus was another one of my mystery ailments before I found out I had Hashimoto's. It started suddenly about 10 years ago. I went to my regular physician who sent me to an ENT. I had a thorough checking out and I believe a TSH was run. However, I don't believe that any other thyroid or thyroid antibody tests were done, so nothing out of the ordinary was ever found. If I'd know then what I know now I would have requested them to be done. Anyway, my bout of tinnitus was miserable. The roaring in my ears was so loud at times I could hardly hear myself think and I was also incredibly dizzy. I thought I was going to go crazy. My ENT finally put me on diuretics, which seemed to help and after a couple of months things seemed to start improving.

I do believe that my thyroid disease was connected to this, so stay after your doctors until you get some relief. Tinnitus is ugly stuff to put up with. I agree with midwest, call the doctor's office and tell them what is going on. Maybe they can work you in soon. Take care!

Old 08-01-2006, 01:35 AM   #5
(female)

cryimgoutloud HB User

Thank you, Ora, Mid and Browney !

I took your advice and did call and asked to be placed on cancellation list.
My son's girlfriend is assisting in finding another endo Dr., who would be able to see me in amonth or less so I am keeping my fingers cross.

My tinnitus sounds are 1 mild sound and 2 loud . When the ringing gets loud, I have panic attacks nothing I have found can mask it (it sound as if its in my head).

When I see the dr. my 1st question will be if i have the 2 masses remove will the ringing stop? LOL.....

Im nursing a cold/allergy/sinus explosion-lol

Thank you

Last edited by cryimgoutloud; 08-01-2006 at 01:36 AM.

Old 08-01-2006, 05:15 AM   #6
(female)

appleofearth HB User

bit of a late response but i'll throw in my 2p anyway

I get tinnitus when I'm going hypo and need an increase in meds!

Old 08-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #7
(female)

rockylucy05 HB User

Hello!

Do ya'll (yes from texas..lol) ears feel clogged or something is in your ear. Kinda of drive me nuts.

Thanks,

Cindy

Closed Thread