It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2006, 05:03 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User
Lightbulb *NOW* pc-Dr is referring me to Endo

Hi everyone
I've been lurking more than posting lately - - - sorry

brief history: Started thy meds 2/06 - HORRID side-effects on Synthroid (insomnia, felt like I was on DEPRESSANTS, FOGhead). When old pc-dr refused Armour, knowing side-effects on Syn & didn't offer alternitive, found another Doc. Short time on Armour w/ TSH shooting to 6+. Since then, I've been on 50 mcg's to Cytomel for 3 months.

After 6 weeks of Cytomel, my 6/15 labs were:
t3 28 {22 - 35 range}
t4 .5 L {.8 - 1.8 "}
TSH .95 {.4 - 5.5 "}

Last weeks labs are:
t3 25 (22-35)
t4 .4 L (1.4-3.8)
TSH 1.75 (.4-5.5)
*think* I'm just gonna start taking ALL Cytomel in morning, cuz 2nd dose sometimes gets MISSED - get tsh down some & T3 UP some!

Dr & I chat, I'm doing pretty good except needing an afternoon nap. I voice my opinion that some T4 med would probably help that. But Doc says *NOW* I should see the Endo. I know some of you would jump for JOY at that, but I'm NERVOUS about what he's (Otsuko) is gonna try to shove down my throat. (I LOVE Cytomel & have stopped needing other perscriptions b/c of WONDERFUL benefits I get from it) I don't want to start back at square one. I know that I feel HUMAN taking a t3/4 combo or taking T3 w/ T4 as I am (or would like to) now.

I just scared to DEATH that he'll push Synthroid or some other T4 only med, all while strongly I'm mentioning how HORRID I feel using them. I'll try to tip-toe around his Dr ego, while being VERY upfront about how * I * feel,

keep you posted
Sue

p.s. this 50-60% humidity in CA deserts is doing NOTHING to lift my spirits either

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User
Re: *NOW* pc-Dr is referring me to Endo

Sue,

I'm giggling here about how you are going to "tiptoe around his Dr. ego.." That's always been my problem - I can't tiptoe because of the pain in my legs and feet. No wonder my last Endo kicked me out!

Ha Ha!

Are you on straight cytomel, or in combo with a T4 med, or armour? Just curious. I have not found a combo even close to helping me, and have tried so many. I have a great Holistic MD now, and he lets me try anything that helps my symptoms. I've been wondering if a straight timed release T3 would be better than a combo. Just curious.

Hey, good luck!

Ora

Old 07-27-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User

I've got a "bull in a china shop" kind of personality, so tiptoeing around THE EGO won't be easy for me either.

I've seen this Endo a few times and LIKED him, (<<-come from a medical family, so that is SAYING something) so maybe I can talk reason into him. (sitting here crossing my fingers & toes - he HEE)

Right now I'm taking just 50 mcg's of Cytomel. I feel some tired & think 25 mcg's of Synthroid WITH the Cytomel will be the ticket. If Endo won't ALLOW that, then I have the name of a Osteopathic Doc who doesn't require a referral. My T4's are in the toliet right now, I'm sure that is where the tired comes from.

thanks Ora I have an Aunt Oralyn

Old 07-27-2006, 10:31 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

It's so hard to know what to do. I found a Holistic MD and I just love him. He has helped me so much, but even he can only do so much. He has me on armour now, although I have tried other meds. He wanted me to try straight Timed-Release T3, from the compounding pharmacy, and just keep increasing in 5mcg increments until I felt well - but it cost me $40.00/month just for 30 of the 5mcg capsules. I figured that if I ended up taking 75 mcg/month, it would bankrupt me! So, I didn't do it, but still would like to try it if all else fails.

I asked him once about adding some T4 to Cytomel, since a lot on this board do well with that combo. He said it makes no sense to him, since the body will only convert the T4 into T3, so you will end up with more T3 anyway, so why not just add it yourself? I understand his reasoning - it makes perfect sense. Especially if one is not a good "converter" - that is, if one cannot convert T4 into T3 easily. It is the T3 that the cells need - and so, I have always wondered about that.

Have you considered adding another 5 mcg of cytomel?

I had an Aunt Orinda!

Blessings!

Ora

Old 07-28-2006, 12:06 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

MOMOFBOYZ HB User

Hi sue!
Dr. Otsuku is nice but he is a t4 pusher. Maybe you'll have more louck. Hope he gets back from Jpan soon. You know he let his visa expire?
Too bad you can't see Dr. Daminani. I saw him today and he was wonderful. He spent 45 min w/mw left for an ekg then came back and spent 20 more minutes. He is great.
I'll tell you all about in inmy own thread.
I hope you have lots of luck!!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed and my prayers going!
Hugs, Deena

Old 07-29-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User
Cool Re: *NOW* pc-Dr is referring me to Endo

Ora ~ I've decided to take ALL my Cytomel in the morning. We'll see what happens w/ TSH & T3's when I'm getting ALL the medication. (I was splitting the dose & 1/3 of the time the 2nd dose would be forgotten ) For example if taking Synthroid , I thought that only about 25% of the medicine was converted to T3's ? ? So if your body CONVERTS the med well, (due to HORRID side-effects don't think mine does), you'd be getting PART T4 to smaller part of t3's, correct?

Hey Deena ~ How you liking this cooling trend?
I'll tell Otsuko's office I need a double appointment. Dr O has to understand ALL of my history & what I've been through since thy lobe removal 10/05. I've taken anti-pressants on/off for YEARS. These past 3 months I've been on Cytomel, I feel like a crucial componient has been put back in my body. I no longer require *ANY* anti-d MEDS . I hope that speaks to him. I'm NOT going off Cytomel. Honestly, I feel like I need 25-50 mcg's of Synthroid in conjuction WITH Cytomel. Then I wouldn't NEED an afternoon !! If Otsuko won't budge, then I'll try the Osteopathic, Norman ?

The girl I know at St Mary's told me I could always go to Mexico to get Armour Somehow I think paying out of pocket for Damani would BE as cost effective, and better on my blood pressure

Closed Thread