It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2006, 03:43 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User
The Value of Suffering

Huh?!?! You are probably wondering how there could possibly be ANY value to suffering. But I can tell you for a fact, after 17 years of intense suffering, and another 15 years of mild to moderate suffering, that there IS much value in suffering.

For one, it makes us stronger - we can face so much more than those who have never suffered, or who have not suffered as much.

It makes us sort through things, and give more priority to what is truly important, and less priority to what is small and petty.

It makes us humble - suddenly, we have to accept the fact that we are not an island, but a community of persons who need each other. we have to learn to ask for what we need, instead of insisting on doing it ourselves.

It makes us realize who are real friends are, and makes us grateful for the smallest kindness shown to us.

It gives us perspective on the trials that come with life, and gives us hope that there is a better world to come after this one passes.

It gives us great compassion and concern for the sufferings of others, and less tolerance for the conditions that cause or aggravate human suffering.

It unites us in ways that are stronger than our differences can even divide us. It makes us more aware of the dignity of every human person.

There are so many more benefits derived from suffering. I needed to do this, because I am truly at the end of my rope. I have to believe that this 17 year long nightmare has not been for nothing - that I have grown and am a better person than I would have become had I not gotten sick. I have to look on the bright side and count my blessings - like the fact that, even though I was so sick I had to leave the profession I loved, and live below the poverty level, I got to stay home with my son and watch every second of his growing up.

Can anyone else think of even one thing that has shown to them the value of suffering?

Blessings and have a wonderul weekend!

Ora

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2006, 05:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User
Re: The Value of Suffering

Nicely stated, Ora. When given lemons you found a way to make lemonade.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:24 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User

Whether it be knowledge from my hubby's chemo or my shortlived Thyroid RoLLer0AsTeR, I too, believe there is value in suffering. I've found places in myself that I never knew exsisted. I freely share my experiences w/ the hopes that someone will derive something from it.

I've always been an optimist, looking for the good in situations. With my thyroid issues, I'm grateful I've gone through so much & gained all this knowledge in 9 short months.

When life gives me lemons, I, too, make lemonade

Old 07-29-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
(female)

daisy01 HB User

this thyroid monster has taught me so much about how important quality of life is, since then...................
when life has given me the lemons, I have made lemonade and shared it with others who are thirsty xxxx
hugs to everyone this weekend xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 07-29-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

Wow, it was a nice little surprise to turn on my laptop and go to the healthboards and find your post. You have found a great attitude in yourself. It inspires me to try and think the same way. Thank you.

Old 07-29-2006, 05:33 PM   #6
(female)

adgirl HB User
Cool Re: The Value of Suffering

Hi Ora,
You are such a special person with a fantastic attitude. I think you are right...there are many days that I am down because it is hard to get moving and I force myself to get going for my son's sake...because of that, I am aware of inner strength that I may never have known was there before and I have an exceptionally close bond with my son. I too, have realized the value of the days where I am feeling well...although they are few and far between, I love each and everyone of them and it instills hope that there may be a cure and gives me much to look forward to. Thanks for reminding us that although we struggle everyday, we also gain from that struggle. Take care and keep going!
Marissa

Closed Thread