It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2006, 07:46 AM   #1
(female)

tawnyjade HB User
Is it okay to take cold meds?

I got up out of bed a few hours ago with a very sore throat, runny nose, headache, etc.
I've always taken Alka Seltser cold meds. I've heard something about this, so I checked the label before taking it. They say on the side...check with doctor before taking if you have thyroid disease.
I have no thyroid due to TT, and have not needed anything for cold/flu since.
I really want to take something to feel better.
Of course it is Saturday, so I can't call the doctor. The pharm doesn't open for 4 1/2 hours, so can't call them.
I take 137mcg Synthroid, and 1/4 a Cytomel 5mcg.
Anyone know if it's okay to take Alka Seltser Cold?

Thanks!

Tawny

Old 07-29-2006, 09:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Is it okay to take cold meds?

Sorry you have a code inda dose...
The warning against cold medicine with thyroid disease is primarily for those with hypERthyroidism. The pseudoephedrine is known to speed up the heart rate, which, as you probably know, would be dangerous for those with hyperT. It probably won't hurt you, unless you already have a relatively high heart rate or you have reason to believe you may be at the upper limit of your T4/T3 level ranges.
If you have any doubt, and to be absolutely sure, you might want to wait and ask the pharmacist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
(female)

tawnyjade HB User

Thanks! My BP is great, and I am definitely not hyper!
I have to function for a few hours first thing this morning, so I'm gonna go ahead and take some!
Tawny

I'll stop by the pharmacy later and double check with the nice folks there!

Old 11-26-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
(female)

Kharma HB User

I know this is an old thread, but that was my question today also! Except the sinutab caplets don't have pseudoephedrine in them anymore (it has acetaminophen and phenylephrine HCl) and it still has a "ask Dr before use if you have thyroid disease" and I have to tell you the way my poor nose is feeling I don't even care right now LOL (I'm hypo also)

Old 11-26-2006, 10:10 AM   #5
(female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

i was told by my pharmacist that i can take sudafed pe when i have a cold...it has to be sudafed pe...not plain sudafed...i bought it take last August before i got on plane to Florida to be with my dear sweet aunt who was close to passing away...i had no problems from it...i also just bought Zicam to take when a cold is coming on...also have benadryl allergy tablets to take for a cold if i do not take the sudafed pe...i am hypothyroid and take Levoxyl...please ask your pharmacist

Old 11-26-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
(female)

Kharma HB User

Thanks for the good info pinkprincess3. I actually did call them and was coming back to post about it LOL

She said sinutab caplets can affect both hyper and hypo. She said the decongestant can affect a wide range. Since my issue is mostly a very runny nose and a killer sore throat because of it, she said take benadryl. That would be oK with the hypo and wouldn't affect anything except I might get sleepy- which would be cool since I've been up since 3am anyway

Closed Thread