It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006, 04:30 AM   #1
(female)

ms codge HB User
Exclamation need input ASAP

I have an appt with the Endo tomorrow. I have had a thyroid nodule for about 7 years and take synthroid. The nodule shrank soon after starting synthroid but has remained about the same for the past 6/7years. I had 2 FNA, the first benign and the 2nd about 3 years ago that was "inconclusive". My question is: Should i insist on another biopsy, or more tests or what. Dr. always gives me the options of wait and see, have thyroid removed. All labs come back normal, eventhough there are times I have both hyper or hypo

Is there anyone there who has been watching a nodule for a long time and what did you do, or what is the outcome??

Thanks for any advice you can give!!

Old 07-30-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
(female)

tlsims HB User
Re: need input ASAP

it depends if it coming back clear of cancer (they cant be sure on this with a fna) then you have more options, if the nodules are on one side you could just have that side removed.

how do you feel, if you feel horrible have alot of symptoms even if off and on you might consider having it removed. this too thou has it problems,

i had half mine removed because of nodules, my fna came back with follicular cells, it turned out it was not cancer, however i felt better after having that half removed, i now have some problems but they are not near as bad as how sick i was when i had those nodules messing with my tsh levels.

now i just have some symptoms that are little to moderatly bothersome, before surgery i was so sick i could hardly get out of bed.

ts

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
(female)

Penelope Jane HB User
Re: need input ASAP

Hope this is still relevant. In 1984 I had nodules-- benign--- advised to have sub-total thyroidectomy as the only thing that could happen is that it could go bad. Had the surgery-- no big deal. Been on Synthorid ever since. No problems. In 2002, the remaining piece was found to have a solid mass tumor-- again, advised I could either "wait and see" or have it out. Again, told the only thing it could do was go bad. Had it out-- no after effects, on synthroid since then. Surgery no big deal. worst part was the tape on my neck drove me a bit batty for a few days. Back at work like maybe 5 days later. For the best of the best, contact Dr. Glenn Braunstein at Cedar- Sinai hospital in Santa Monica California. He is world renowned in the field. Travels all over the world with lectures etc on thyroid. Doesn't get any better than him. Hope this helps PJ

Closed Thread