It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006, 08:53 AM   #1
(female)

chickee32 HB User
Born with half a thyroid gland

Long story..gave birth to my daughter 5 years ago and immediately began having hot flashes, anxiety, insomnia etc. This went on for quite a while. I thought that it was my hormones trying to get back into the swing of things after the birth of my daughter. Well, months went on and my menstrual cycle never returned. My hot flashes became increasingly worse and the right side of my neck enlarged. Finally, the next swelling went away. The doctor told me it was "probably swollen glands." I went on with my life and the symptoms worsened. No more libido whatsoever, constant fatigue,tingling in my feet and hands, pain in my upper back, facial pains, ear pains, migraines and the list goes on. I was constantly sick with some kind of illness or another. The gyno finally tested my hormone levels and I was diagnosed with Total Ovarian failure (at age 30). Asked if I needed a referal to a therapist to discuss my inabilty to have more children. I passed and was given a prescription for birth control pills. The gyno told me I would need to stay on them until I was 50. A year went on and I started having carpal tunnel symptoms. I was sent to a neurologist and he did and emg, but found no carpal tunnel, but thought I may have had a bulging disc, because my left arm wasn't responding correctly to the electrical stimuli. Whatever...so, I was sent for an MRI. Found no bulging disc, but did find something weird with my thyroid gland. I was then referred to an endocrinologist. She told me to stop my hormones immediately. She said that she could not do any bloodwork until the synthesized hormones were out of my system. So, I was told to wait 2-3 months to have blood work. In the meantime, she sent me to have an ultrasound on the thyroid, since she thought she felt nodules on the right side. I just had it yesterday and the tech. said "wow, that's the best thyroid surgery I have ever seen!". I explained to her that I never had surgery on my thyroid and she said I only have the right lobe and no evidence of the existence of the left lobe. What does all this mean? She also said that my right lobe had degenerative issues. Should I be scared about all of this? I am honestly tired of going to doctors. No one seems to know what to do for me as my issues progress. Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge of this kind of thing. Your help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Born with half a thyroid gland

I hope your endo will test your entire endocrine system once it is reasonable to do so. Whatever the case, you should be able to replace most any endocrine hormone once they find out what's what.

I know you're really tired of docs, but it sounds like this one is being thorough & doing appropriate tests. Probably once all the info is in, she will be able to help you.

Best wishes, and please let us know how it all turns out.

Closed Thread