It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
(female)

daisy01 HB User
Anyone crashed after dental work?

On wednesady I had a dental appointment and had a scale and polish done. Ever since I have felt my hypoT symptoms including the depression come sneaking back, today being the worst. I have spent most of today in floods of tears.

I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this after dental work, I am wondering if the mouthwash stuff they gave me afterwards had maybe interfered with my thyroxine absorbtion or if she has somehow disturbed my amalgam fillings and this has made me feel so sick.
thanks in advance for any replies xxx
daisy

Old 07-30-2006, 02:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Anyone crashed after dental work?

Daisy,

I had really bad fibro pain flares (& my fibro pain seems related to my thyroid function) for yrs. after my perio cleanings until I figured out that the "desensitizing gel" they used is 4% fluoride, and the prophy paste ('polish') is also quite high in fluoride. When I eliminated those chemicals, I had no problems following the cleanings. I've found dental staff to be quite helpful & accommodating to my requests.

Fluoride is a known thyroid depressant, works on many levels. In times past, before the newer drugs to block thyroid, fluroide compounds were the meds of choice for runaway Graves disease/hyperT.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if perhaps something you encountered that day was high in fluoride, and caused problems.

Hopefully you'll recover in a few days' time, but for future reference, you can call the dental clinic next week & find out the names of the products used & the amt or concentration of fluoride.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
(female)

daisy01 HB User
Re: Anyone crashed after dental work?

Thank you so much Elmhar, I knew it was something to do with the dentist as I had been fine right up till that moment.
By the time I got home my legs and arms felt heavy plus all the usual hypoT symptoms.
I have tweaked up my Armour by half a grain and feeling better today although my muscles feel very sore, like I have run a marathon or something.

I will give them a call tomorrow and find out what stuff they used and then ask them to put it on my notes that I had a reaction to it. They will probably think I am a nutter, but the last few days have been sheer hell for me and my family but I am past caring what people think of me.

sending you some big hugs Elmhar
daisy xx

Closed Thread