It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
(female)

Jill1004 HB User
Think all this is thyroid related?

In 11/05 I had major cervical spine surgery and am still in my recovery phase, when I found out one of the levels didn't fuse and the next level up in my spine has deteriorated greatly, meaning I will require more surgery in the future. Anyway...

I hate to sound like I am complaining, but with all this I feel pretty rotten and have constant pain. I have symptoms that radiate down my arms and have tingling again in my hands, numbness, etc. An MRI this week proved that the nerves in my spine were still wide open, and should not be causing thiese issues. Over the last several months, anytime I've noticed a "symptom" of any sort, I have easily shrugged it off as being related to my spine issues.

Some of my symptoms have been constipation (a good amount of stress in my life, so I assumed it was from that); I'm tired and sluggish (but I don't sleep as good at night), I'm somewhat grumpier (typically considered a happy person by nature - but again because of my neck issues... who wouldn't be grumpy sometimes??), I'm overweight to be begin with but I'm aware of a weight gain over the last several months (attributed this to my inability to do any physical activity whatsoever), over the last couple of months my period has been really messed up and never really seems to "go away" (again, stress related?? and I have an IUD), I have generalized weakness (again spine related?), etc. The newest symptom is a constant feeling like I have a lump in my throat, right at the bottom of my neck. I also feel as if I have to clear my throat. My surgical scar is to the right of this spot. I have never previously had any issues with my swallowing or with my incision.

I have a friend who is a nurse who mentioned I should have my thyroid checked. My dad is hypothyroid and on Synthroid and my sister was recently diagnosed as well at being just over the upper limits of normal.

Is the lump in the throat/feeling like I need to clear my throat a typical sign of there being a problem with the thyroid? Nothing appears swollen in the area, but again the area is somewhat compromised from my recent surgery. It is somewhat tender just to the left of where this feeling is.

Just curious about your thoughts. I'm sure I will be calling my MD this week, but I'm undergoing epidural steriod injections tomorrow and will be "out of commission" for a few days. Thanks in advance. I appreciate your thoughts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Think all this is thyroid related?

It would be presumptious to say that it's "all" related to thyroid, but I can definitely tell you that the sensation of something stuck in the throat may be. Even just the sensation without any obvious swelling is suspect. Your family history puts you at much greater risk of having thyroid trouble yourself.

Hopefully, your doctor will know to test more than just your TSH. Ask for at the least a free T4 test along with the TSH. Because of the family history, thyroid antibodies tests could be useful as well.
Let us know how it goes.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:00 AM   #3
(female)

hbram381 HB User
Re: Think all this is thyroid related?

after what you are going through, i have no right to moan and groan.

it can't hurt to tell your doc about your symptoms and about dad and sis......hypo is hereditary

take care

Closed Thread