It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Intrigue50 HB User
Question Home from Hospital TT -- questions abound!

Hello, all. I had my TT last Tuesday and had to remain in the hospital until late Thursday, due to heavy drainage and problems with wheezing. My calcium levels at dismissal were 7.6. I go get them checked tomorrow and am taking six tablets of tums daily. Anyone know what a normal calcium level is? Also, did anyone have trouble with their voice sounding very strange? Whenever I talk, it sounds like I'm inside a whirring fan...it's very annoying and hard to get people to understand me. I also wheeze constantly, which is scary. I find out the results of my thyroid biopsy this Wednesday and am nervous about that, in addition to my voice being so weird. And the ENT didn't put me on any thyroid replacements yet, which surprised me. As you can see, lots to feel anxious about here! I would appreciate any insights you might have from your TT surgeries. Thank you!

Intrigue

Old 07-31-2006, 05:20 PM   #2
(female)

marissamm HB User
Re: Home from Hospital TT -- questions abound!

hi, do u have asthma? if not you might want to get checked your voice will get better in time i completly lost mine for 3 months, but do get checked for asthma and other lung problems, my thyroid supressed a lot of lung problems . good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 08:14 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Intrigue50 HB User

No, no asthma here....the ENT wondered the same thing. Hopefully it will slowly return to normal....I can't imagine not having a voice for three months, yikes! Thanks so much for answering!

Last edited by Intrigue50; 07-31-2006 at 08:17 PM.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
(female)

kwebster HB User

Glad you are home. Had my TT on June 21st. No initial problems with my voice but if I try and raise it an octave I can't - like when I have to yell at the kids. Anyway, I have heard it will resolve itself. Did your surgeon monitor your laryngeal nerves? I believe your calcium levels should be at 9.0. There are a couple of different reporting stats. My endo has said that 9.0 would be on the lower side of the scale. Last week mine was 8.6 - so I still have problems.

By the way, why did you have your thyroid out? I had papillary carcinoma and knew going in that it was from a biopsy. I can imagine the anxiety behind your wait. If it is cancer just remember that it will be OK. The treatment for thyroid cancer if extremely high. You'll have to jump through some hurdles like I-131 treatment but at least it is treatable!

I was discharged from the hospital and went to the endo two days later. He prescribed Cytomel (a short acting thyroid replacement drug) to help while I prepare for the radioactive stuff. I get to go back on the Levoxly immediately upon discharge from the hospital next week. My treatment of I-131 will require a hospital stay. Your case may be different depending on what they find.

Take care and get some rest!

Kathy

Old 08-01-2006, 04:33 PM   #5
(female)

MATYA HB User

So glad you are home. Try to get plenty of rest and follow the Dr's. instructions. My case is totally out of the ordinary, so I won't even go into it, but I still can't extend my voice after a TT Dec 2500.

You are in my prayers

Old 08-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #6
(female)

themightyquinn HB User

I had my thyroid out July 10th. Never had an issue with my voice, but my calcium needed to be monitored for awhile. Then I was on 4000mg of calcium for 2 weeks. Now I'm down to 2000mg of calcium.
My calcium level was 9.2 on Thursday, which I was told was excellent.

Hang in there. It will get better.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #7
(female)

MATYA HB User

I ment to say Dec 5 2005.

Have a wonderful evening.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:25 PM   #8
(female)

mapgirl HB User

I had my TT last week, too. Things have been going well. I was told that my calcium was good but wasn't given a number. I was put on levothyroxine the very next day. I am on 125 mcg. ( I am a quite tall; not at all petite). I will see how this works out when I have bloodwork done. It was difficult to talk at first but now I sound pretty good. I did have the laryngeal nerve monitiring done. They said it could be an expensive copay, but I figured it was worth it. (Still can't hit the high notes in church.) The steri strips holding the incision together are still firmly in place and it itches and appears red. It is probably a combo of the adhesive, the heat and my sensitive skin. Good news is that there was no mailgnancy. There were suspicious nodules.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:05 PM   #9
(female)

Penelope Jane HB User

Had my first partial surgery in 1984, and the second and last-- total in 2002. Pretty much the same both times. Yeah, the voice was a bit strange for a bit, but returned to just about normal I can't quite hit the "higher pitches" but not a big deal. The biggest thing I remember, is that for a couple months, I had problems with carbonated beverages, and really thing liquids, like water. Somehow, I had to drink really slowly, or carefully water, tea etc, or I did a wierd choking thing. That to passed, and I happily slurp down my diet cokes every day now. You'll get through this just fine. Good luck PJ

Old 08-06-2006, 06:20 AM   #10
(female)

tjr55 HB User

Hi, here's the thread about my experience:
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=371889&highlight=tjr55[/url]

I can hit all the high notes I used to be able to, now when singing, 7 month post-surgery. I still feel tightness when I swallow, but it is much less than before.

Also, remember that after surgery if you were intubated, it will also affect your voice for a few days.

I felt pretty relaxed about the surgery but with hindsight, it was a lot more serious than I had anticipated, which is good in a way! I mean that I hadn't been anxious, not that it was serious! But surgery on one's neck... For most of us, there isn't nearly as much padding around there as there might be in one's abdomen, for example. The impact of an incision there is not going to disappear in a week or two. It does get better over time. My scar is still visible, but much less noticeable. I don't cover it anymore, and people don't seem to look at my neck anymore.

Hang in there!

Closed Thread