It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
(female)

M-Rae HB User
Help!!!!

This is the second time I've posted....and I would love to talk to someone who is going through the same thing as me...6 years ago, my TSH level was 352.2.....I'm currently getting help and I'm on 225 mcg of synthroid. I 'd love to talk to someone who understands!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-02-2006, 01:23 AM   #2
(female)

Misstish HB User
Smile Re: Help!!!!

Hi there,

I think even if you don't get the answers your looking for it's nice to here your not alone, I don't know about you but having a husband who isn't feeling what your feeling with all the kind words in the world he can't possibly know what your going through so talking to a Hypo sufferer can help. If you read my 1st message I like you have suffered many yrs and feel just as bad now as then, I was put on antidepressants but felt they made me even more tired (if that were possible) so came off them, I have 2 girls and I'm now showing diagrams and explaining the machanics of the Thyroid to my oldest (7yrs) as I want her to understand, mum is tired through something other than needing a good nights sleep. I live in the UK but I hope I can help even if it's just a good old moan about how we feel.
Take care
Louise

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #3
(female)

daisy01 HB User
Re: Help!!!!

hello to you both and welcome to the board.

the people on here really helped me get my health back and keep my thyroid monster under control. It was good to have someone who understands how rough this disorder makes you feel, it also helped to show the posts to my family and friends, it made them see that it wasnt just in my head, it was real and others suffered in the same way all over the World.

I managed to get Armour on the NHS because of this board misstish, I wasnt doing well on levothyroxine but feel fantastic on this. I had to fight for it though, but the endo knew I meant it when I said I wasnt going to take levo anymore and would rather die than feel the way I did.

sending my best wishes to you both xxx
daisy

Old 08-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #4
(female)

Misstish HB User

Hi Daisy

Thanks for the info on Armour, I had been on Liothyronine for 3yrs felt good compared to Levothyroxine but my endo told me I had to go back onto Levothyroxine or I quote "he would wash his hands of me" I was told by my GP at the start that it was 75x more expensive, lost all confidence in asking anything, I've never asked for my results cause I never thought you were able to without being thrown out of their office. How can I ask about Armour without him picking up that I'll accept no? I've just bought some Bladderwrack in the hope that something will take away my fatigue and mental fog it's like I can't even think of what to make for tea, it's like too much effort to think let alone do, I don't work and I'm only 32 I never saw me as being a stay at home mum I wanted a life outside of these four walls but the tiredness got too much, I was nearly falling asleep behind the wheel and I would nap in my lunch hr, I read someones message that they don't think the well hypo's read the forum I just wish they would to let us know what they did, my husband tells me I'm too hard on myself but when you know your too young too feel this old...
Sorry for the moan but my husband will feel he has a night off
Take care Louise

Old 08-02-2006, 02:18 PM   #5
(female)

boata HB User

Hey Louise - I'm one of those that still checks in now and then. I've been taking Armour for almost 5 months now and I am doing well. One of the things I see over and over on boards like this one and others is that people with hypothyroid are being undertreated by their docs. If your doctor has been treating you for 6 years and you still feel this bad, you don't need to worry about him telling you to hit the road - FIRE his ***! Don't stop until you find a doctor that is dedicated to treat you by symptom rather than the TSH. I had to be VERY strong and insistant with my doctor - and in the process made him very uncomfortable. He wanted me to stop at 2 grains of armour - my dosage which I feel well at and have no symptoms is 4 grains. If I had listened to him I'd still be sick! Have you had labs lately? Post them here and people will help. Ask for Free T3, Free T4, Ferritin, and antibodies testing. But you MUST stand up for yourself! If Synthroid is not working, ask for a clinical trial of Armour. Plus, Armour is not expensive. You must find a doctor that will help you get to an optimal dose, though. I know it is difficult when your brain is all foggy and just getting through the day is tough enough - but you MUST be diligent with finding a doctor that will help you get better. Get ANGRY! 6 years! Think of all you've lost! Grrrrrrrrrr! Maybe your hubby could go along with you to your next appointment - sometimes a doctor will react differntly to a man (which makes me angry too!). Hugs from Iowa - and from someone who understands... There is hope! Just don't let stupid docs undertreat you anymore!

Old 08-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User

Here I am telling you that I am hypothyroid and I am also on Armour, I do feel good, and have since the change in my meds several months ago. I always felt tired, and wasn't sleeping well, and hadn't in years since the start on Levo, well I asked for Armour and my doc gave it to me(it is much easier here in the states so I here to get it)I feel back to my old self!! There is a light at the end of the tunnel...mine you I have Graves so my tunnel is a bit different than some who suffer from just hypothyroid. As for me feeling well with they hypo symptoms I do, as for the Graves symptoms I don't....So see why my tunnel is different(I have thyroid eye disease).....But you can make it, and I believe that the others are right about kicking your doctor to the curb and getting another. Make them listen as your the only one that can tell them no you won't take what they have to offer and you want another kind of treatment, or even asking what are your other options of treatment because this one doesn't seem to be working. Yeah make hubby go with you if you need too. I was willing to put up this huge fight to get my meds changed to Armour, and I'll be danged if the doctor just said ok, it's more natural anyway....Ah man, I didn't get to argue with her.LOL I was so glad.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:11 PM   #7
(female)

M-Rae HB User

This is prob a crazy question, but I have never heard of Armour....How do I know if it is something I should even ask my Dr about.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:32 PM   #8
(female)

josephinemckenn HB User

Hi, i suffered for many years before being put on anything finally i was started on synthroid but never felt good on it constant raising os dosage. Skipped from reproductive endo to another endo who put me on levothroxine but daily migraines forced me to lower dose did find out I has hashimotos. In desparation asked my attending to try me on armour felt great lost thirty pounds. Since becoming hypo I get sick easier and takes long er to recoop. Still feel like I want to become one with the floor every afternoon take 3 grains armour half a.m. and p.m. Under a lot of stress at work and now mom has non hod lmphoma left lung removed just finished her chemo brother who is 42 and single living by himself has brain tumor underwent surgery lost his vision and requires tlc father in law recooperating from having right kidney removed coming home friday. Have sleep apnea hidrandrenitis never realy feel great last tsh was .02 low low hdl constantly moving and trying to keep up with my housework and moms havenelt been to my gym in 3 months and hdl is low fasting sugar is 102 Saw endo whom everyone at work raves about called me a walking time bomb have no desire to go back there. Who sent me for a glucose tolerance based on a non fasting sugar on 102. Have strange allergic reaction about once a month sometimes in relation to food have seen allergist twice no conclusive results take atarax and prednisone sometimes epi pen. I know this much cortisone make me feel good. Will try rheumalolgist nest gp said try a different allergist ...not.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:10 AM   #9
(female)

Misstish HB User

Thanks to everyones responses, I went to doc who said best wait the 6 wks for bloods before alternative meds also have horrendous cough which he said wait a handful of days if it gets worse come back, decided to buy cought med instead, going on hols wk on wed then making an appointment with private doc to get some better results, it's not possible to join another practise from outside your village so it's either the doc I see or none at all. At least I'll get the tests I want doing going private they'll be pleased to do it as I'm paying (even though I pay national insurance for the little help from my gp) I hope something shows that current meds don't work efficiently enough I must be the only patient willing bad news just so I know it's not all in my head.
By for now and thanks for all the support it's good to talk
Louise

Last edited by Misstish; 08-09-2006 at 06:14 AM.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Rae
This is prob a crazy question, but I have never heard of Armour....How do I know if it is something I should even ask my Dr about.
Well Armour is disected pig thyroid, it contains everything your thyroid would, Some people like it better than just a T4 replacement, as I know it is working better for me. Some doctors won't give it to you, they just refuse....Lucky me my doc thought it was a good idea. The Armour is a natural drug, where Levo is a synthetic. Do a search for Armour, and you can find doctors in your area that will give the drug, not saying they will give it to you, but they have given it to someone else prior.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:29 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User

It's good that your going private, as I hear that it is easier to get the doctors to do thyroid testing when you do that. I have heard that they will do FreeT3 testing if your private as well. Not sure if you know what tests to ask for but these are the ones that would help just in case you don't know. Antibody testing to see if you have Hashi's or Graves, and Free T4, and Free T3, as well as TSH. Those will tell if there is a thyroid problem right there. Don't bother with the Total T3 and Total T4, as they aren't really worth checking(more waste of money than anything)

Old 08-09-2006, 03:19 PM   #12
(female)

NOLA_gal HB User

I understand how hard it is...I wasn't nearly as hypo as you but even so, sometimes I would wonder if I weren't just lazy and antisocial. It had gotten to the point that I only did what was absolutely necessary. My house was a mess, I never went out with friends. All I could do was go to work and to bed. Doing the laundry every week (for one person!) was a challenge. With so many doctors telling me I was fine, I really began to question myself.

Keep looking for a doctor to listen!! I finally found one and started Armour last week. I'm not near 100% but I am soooo much better. I feel like I've been given another chance at life.

Best of luck and if you have any questions, this is the place to ask. I don't post a whole lot but I read these boards faithfully. I have learned a lot here, not least of which was to not give up!

Sharon

Old 08-10-2006, 05:55 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User

Just a thought Sharon,
Remember sometimes Armour can make you feel really good for awhile, before you take a turn for what you think is the worst. Give it a chance to do it's magic, as I have heard that feeling so good at first might change. I haven't had this problem but some have.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:19 AM   #14
(female)

daisy01 HB User

I have been on Armour for about 2.5 months now and still feeling great, had a little bout of hypoT after having orthodontal work done but on the whole feel so much better than I ever did on T4 meds

Old 08-17-2006, 05:27 PM   #15
(female)

M-Rae HB User

Wow, I can't believe the responses that have been given to my post, Thank you guys so much for making me see that I'm not crazy (ok maybe a little ) lol
I go to the Dr. to have blood taken on Aug. 22nd, and I'm excited to talk this new medication over with my Dr. I really appreciate all your help. Hugs from West Virginia!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread