It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User
Wink Hyper and still waiting..

Hi! I have been reading posts for awhile now. I went to the endo in April with hyper symptoms and with a tsh below 1, I think... My primary sent me. Long story short, had all the tests, scan, uptake, no Grave's but probably sub-acute thyroiditis (temporary) ,more tests a couple of weeks ago, endo now saying not sub-acute, but T-3 toxicosis( did tons of research on hyper never saw this! Anyway, wanted to start me on a small amount of tapazol, but when I revealed I had a blood disorder about nine years ago(itp) he wants to do any antibody test before he puts me on this. I brought this up after looking up tapazol. So now I'm still waiting. My T-3 is high normal, but I guess the T-4 is okay,I can't imagine what it is to have full blown Grave's, I feel bad enough, the racing heart is awful, but my blood pressure is kinda low so no beta blockers . Any info or support is appreciated. Most people don't know much about hyper thyroid, only hypo. Thanks!!

Old 08-03-2006, 06:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Hyper and still waiting..

HI Bran's Nana...i have Graves, but don't know much about the other hyperT conditions. What would you like to know? The one thing i can tell you is that once your get a dx and start treatment you will feel better. It could take a while, but you'll get there. Let me know if i can be of help. take care...phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User
Wink Re: Hyper and still waiting..

HeyPhyllis,
I knew you'd answer me from all the other support I've seen you give people on this board. When were you diagnosed with Grave's? How long before you got relief? Did you have the radioactive stuff, or are you on meds? Were you ever on meds? Did you go hypo after treatment? Sorry, it's just that no one I know has a thyroid thing, especially hyper, so I don't know who to talk about it with. I have to admit, I never even knew what a thyroid was before this, even though I'm very into medicine, and medical stuff, so when I'm interested in anything, I research it really well, until I feel like an expert on it. It was me who told the doctor..should I be on this stuff, with the blood thing I had? You really have to be your own advocate, don't you? I can't believe all the women suffering from this, in one way or the other. The stories are so sad. Is yours there? Thanks again for any info!

Old 08-03-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
(female)

suelynn HB User
Re: Hyper and still waiting..

wow another person with hyper..not as many with that. I too, have done a ton of research..and believe, unless absolutley a medical thing, there will be no radio active stuff or surgery with me. After a year I am down to 2 1/2 mg of methimizole a day. I can't seem to lose weight real easy(of course you really have to try!), but I feel good. I know others have a very rough time. Try to destress as much as posible. There is a great book by Mary ****** has a great book out "Living Well with Hyperthyroidism", She haas many stories of her own bouts with radio active experience.

Hang tight

p s I guess they won't let me print a name her..but go to any big book store, and they will have

Last edited by suelynn; 08-03-2006 at 05:50 PM.

Old 08-04-2006, 06:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Hi

Hi...I was dx in Oct. 2003 and up till then like you i wasn't very informed about the thyroid or the huge role it plays in the body. The summer prior to treatment i had many of the hyper T signs, racing heart, very little sleep. weight loss ( i liked that part) sore knees and weak thighs and a few more. I was dx by accident. I'd went to the dr for the yearly checkup and started asking her about things..she said "have you had your thyroid checked?" when i said no she sent me to the lab and a few days later sent me to an endo. I opted to have the RAI treatment since i was told that the meds only worked for so long and that you'd end up with one anyway. I didn't like the idea of having to remember to pop the pills several times a day so went ahead and took the plunge. The purpose of the RAI is to albate or destroy the thyroid and yes you do go HYPO. It took a couple of months for mine to start failing. When i started feeing very tired, loss of appetite, very forgetful and not myself i called for labs to be done and got on medication. I started feeling better within a few days (takes some longer) and have been fine ever since. Once you get on meds and find the right dose for you you should feel like your old self. I do have to add that i have been very lucky thru this whole thing...alot of people have problems along the way. This is a treatable disease and with the help of a good dr. you can feel good. In the beginning you worry about everything, now i am at the point where i pop my pill each morning and go on with my day, no biggie.

The one thing i want to know is that being hyper is very hard on the bones. I was dx with osteoporosis earlier this year and i know its from the Graves, since i don't have any of the other risk factors. so, when you see the endo ask for a bone scan,DEXA, to see what shape your bones are in just to be safe.

Suelynn..i'm glad that the meds are helping and that your are feeling good. sounds like your heading towards a remission if you've had your dose reduced. I wasn't as educated when i made the decision to have the RAI and so far the only complaint i have is that i too can't lose weight and work hard not to gain. I think had i known more i may have tried the drugs especially after i read about the possiblity of remission.

You're both right...hyper T isn't as common as hypo and Graves isn't the only hyper condition. The goal with meds is to get to a level that makes you like someone without a thyroid problem or at least thats how i understand it

have a good weekend...take care...phyllis

Old 08-04-2006, 12:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Unhappy Re: Hyper and still waiting..

[B

][/B]
Thanks for the info gals! I'm waiting to see if I can go on the tapazole. My doc said I only had to take 1/2 pill a day, just once a day, which is what suelynn takes I think, my t-3 is a little over high normal. I am a skinny person, have been all my life..108 tops! Will I gain weight from taking this pill??? That would be very strange for me!!

Closed Thread