It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2006, 08:52 AM   #1
(female)

arlo2007 HB User
Thyroid Mass Help !!!

I was diagnoised with a 3.8 x1.7 x 2.2 Thyroid mass replacing much of the mid to lower left lobe, it is solid. My blood work is normal. I have been weak and fatigued, sore throat, and neck pain upon swallowing.

The radiologist who read the report said I should have a necular thyroid uptake test. If that shows the nodule is "cold", then I should have a needle biopsy to see if it is cancer. I can't get the Uptake until Aug 22, and the needle biopsy till Sept 25. My PC is no help to get this done sooner.

Any one else have this size nodule ?? How was it handled? I'm scared to death.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Thyroid Mass Help !!!

The most important thing is not to panic. Thyroid nodules are extremely common. Many pp. are walking around with them, not knowing it. 85-95% are benign.

"Cold" nodules (that don't take up iodine during a scan) are a bit more likely to be cancerous than those that are "hot" and light up during the scan. FNA biopsies can indicate cancer, but many are inconclusive or "suspicious". The only way to know for sure if a nodule is cancerous (other than a conclusive FNA) is to surgically remove it.

PP. can live very long healthy lives without a thyroid. Thryoid cancer is very rare, and if it were cancerous, you should know, that most forms of thyroid cancer are curable.

In my case, I had bad luck and a 2.5cm nodule, and it was "cold" and my FNA came back positive for thyroid cancer. I had my thyroid removed surgically, and then I had something called "RAI" where you take a radioactive pill, and it ablates all thyroid tissue in the body to prevent a recurrence. Now I take thyroid hormone pills (synthroid) at a slightly higher dose to prevent a recurrence. I'm fine and healthy now. My bloodwork was normal before my surgery, but I was getting some pain in my neck where the nodule was.

Even benign nodules that are large and uncomfortable are often removed to make you more comfortable, and prevent them from turning cancerous. The surgery is really not difficult at all.

The odds are with you that this is nothing. But because of the size, you might have to prepare yourself to go the surgical route, because it's making you feel uncomfortable. But my surgery, I must tell you, was pretty smooth.

Are you just seeing your regular doc? You should consider seeing a surgeon (ENT or ontoronogolist, or Vascular) or an endocronologist (they do FNA's in their offices sometimes). Thyroid cancer is pretty slow growing, so don't panic in terms of the slow timing. But to make you feel better, you might want to get into the surgeon's office to speed things up. Some surgeons will just do the FNA themselves, and at the size of yours, it doesn't matter whether it's hot or cold, it's just big enough to get the biopsy either way.

Last edited by Reece; 08-03-2006 at 09:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #3
(female)

Penelope Jane HB User
Re: Thyroid Mass Help !!!

Had a mass in 2002.. Told I could "wait and see" or have it out. Here's the thing-- the only thing it can eventually do is go bad. (I'm summarizing what my Doctors said). I opted to have it out. It was pre-malignant so that was good decision, obviously. I am on synthroid every day, with no ill effects, life is just fine. As for the surgery, no big deal. I was back at work 5 days later. The most annoying thing was the tape on my neck. As for after effects-- different for everyone, but I had some small problem for a month or so drinking carbonated beverages and thin liquids, like water or tea. I could drink them, just had to do it slowly. Not a big deal in the scheme of life. Everything is back to normal now. My recommendation, is jus go for it and have it out and get on with life. Don't know where you live, but the best of the best in terms of doctors is Dr. Glenn Braunstein at Cedar-Sinai Medical Center in Santa Monica California.
good Luck PJ

Closed Thread