It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2006, 11:07 PM   #1
(female)

artist54 HB User
Surgery set for Tuesday

This is my first time to post here. I found this site while searching for info on thyroid disease.
I've been hypo for 6 yrs. and currently take .137 mg. Synthroid. About three wks ago my internal medicine doc found a mass on my right lobe. An ultra sound confirmed it was solid; apx. 3.5 cm. My FNB came back suspcious.
Tuesday I go in for surgery.
I've done a lot of reading about this type of surgery and I know that everything will most likely be OK, but I'm still very nervous.

I have a good surgeon, who has done this type of surgery for the past 16 yrs.

Wish me luck

Artist54

Old 08-05-2006, 11:15 PM   #2
(female)

NOLA_gal HB User
Re: Surgery set for Tuesday

I wish you the best of luck Artist. I don't know much about that kind of surgery, but having a doctor you trust is a big plus. Will you have family around for you?

Sharon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2006, 11:20 PM   #3
(female)

artist54 HB User

Sharon,
Thanks.
My husband will be with me the day of the surgery. If all goes well I should be released the next day.
I just want this whole thing to be over with (this was not the summer vacation I had planned). Sure would be nice to fastforward my life several months.

Artist

Old 08-06-2006, 08:29 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User

Hi Artisit welcome

Sounds like you have a GREAT surgeon and that is KEY
I'll be thinking of you Tuesday *hugs*

I was out of hospital in 36 hours & off work for 2 1/2 weeks. Hope you can kick back & try to relax your recovery. I sucked on A LOT of ice ships that first week in attempts to relieve the weird feeling in my throat.

thoughts & prayers,
Sue

Last edited by sudufu; 08-06-2006 at 08:30 AM.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:27 AM   #5
(female)

artist54 HB User

Sudufu,
When you had your surgery, did you have a single mass and if so, how long after the surgery did you have to wait for the pathology?
How has your meds changed since your surgery?
Did you have problems with your voice or healing?

Thanks for the ice chip tip.
Maybe I'll be able to lose some weight in this deal.
When I get home I plan on doing a lot of painting.

Artist

Old 08-06-2006, 11:26 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Intrigue50 HB User

Artist -- I had my TT about 10 days ago and was terrified before surgery. But it was the easiest surgery I've ever had (I've had 4). The pain level was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be and I was up and sitting in a chair four hours after my surgery, talking and laughing with family....plus the main meds were fantastic. My operation was due to a very enlarged substernal goiter that also had a suspicious nodule, which turned out to be benign. I got the results back in one week. My voice and breathing are still weird, but other than that, I already feel so much better than before the operation....I wouldn't have imagined that one week after surgery I'd have been going out to lunch and a movie, but I did! I'm now on .100 mcg of synthroid and the ENT said it will take about a week for it to start working.

Best of luck on your surgery and please keep us updated!

Intrigue

Old 08-07-2006, 06:14 AM   #7
(female)

kathy590 HB User

I had that surgery in February. My nodule was about the same size. Surgery went great, its not that bad at all. I was able to drive 2 days later, and went back to work after 2 weeks. My FNA was also suspicious. A week after surgery, i found out it was positive for papillary carcinoma. No spread to lymph nodes. I am awaiting RAI first part of September. My ENT considers me cured even without RAI yet. Don't worry, but I know you will, I did. The cure for this is removal of the thyroid gland and possible RAI. Everything will be fine

Old 08-08-2006, 06:47 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Best of luck, Artist54! I will be thinking of you tomorrow! I am envious a little - I have to wait another 2 weeks before I can get my thyroid out. You will be 2 weeks post-op by then, so maybe you'll be able to help me through my healing process.

You'll be just fine!

Blessings!

Ora

Closed Thread