It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2006, 08:15 AM   #1
(female)

cpht32 HB User
1st Endo appt aug 15th, can you help with what questions to ask?

I have posted here before, but I will give some information about myself. I am a new Hypothyroidism patient about 2 months now. I have been very tired for a very long time. I also suffer with Severe clinical depression and anxiety/panic disorder. I went to family doc to have blood work done to see what might be going on .
TSH 9.7 I decided that I would feel safer seing an Endo doc, because my family doc didnt seem to know a whole lot about what to do. She started me on levothyroxine 25mcg. If you have been to an Endo, could you please give me some advice on things they might ask, and what I should ask them. What type of lab work do I need?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 08-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
(female)

b&wcats HB User
Re: 1st Endo appt aug 15th, can you help with what questions to ask?

Hi,

I am writing without a direct answer -- I am about to go to my first endo appt. (once I find one!) -- I, like you, am recently diagnosed hypo and just got really strange and scary results back, my pcp is out of town, so now to go to an endo. What I did want to share is that my own depression/panic disorder/ anxiety has been steadily improving since takng the T4 about 4 months now. Which makes it easier, for me, to get to the doctors and do what needs to be done. I am hoping that will give you something to look forward to! I hope you feel better really soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User
Re: 1st Endo appt aug 15th, can you help with what questions to ask?

There are some psychiatrists who are recognizing that the administration of Cytomel (T3 ) can help panic/anxiety and depression. In my own case, it helped me with anxiety attacks, and I can tell now when my thyroid hormone gets low because I start to feel anxious and panicky. Today, I got on an elevator, which I could never do before I started treatment for low thyroid.

Endo's can sometimes be pretty rigid and arrogent, but you need to be in charge of your care. I was "discharged" by an Endo once because I insisted that keeping my TSH in the normal range did not seem to be the best way to treat me, since for 13 years prior to my Hashi's diagnosis, I was disabled by severe thyroid symptoms, even with a "normal" TSH. I dared to question her reasoning regarding my care, (and the use of the TSH to adjust my meds). I don't want to scare you, but just make sure that you remember that you are the boss, not them.

Generally, it is best to have a TSH (although I don't see it's value in most cases), Free T3 and Free T4 (these are the hormones your body actually needs and uses), thyroid antibodies, and possibly ultrasound or thyroid uptake scan to detect any goiters, nodules, masses, size irregularities, etc. Hopefully, they will already do all that anyway. Mine did, (except for the antibodies), and that is how my Hashi's was diagnosed. If you have a nodule or mass or anything like that, they may then do a FNA, which is a fine needle aspiration, to look for the presence of cancerous cells. There are other tests that can be done, but those are enough to start off with.

Good luck!

Ora

Closed Thread