It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
(female)

b&wcats HB User
Question Please help me interpret my latest test results

Hi!

So I finally extracted my test results from my doctor's nurse. My doctor is on vacation so I can't ask her what the results mean, especially the two high results. The good news is that my TSH is down from 11.6. The bad news is that my THYROID PEROXIDASE and THYROGLOBULIN are high -- the thyroglobulin is VERY high. This is the first time these particular levels had been tested.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! And I know you aren't doctors but I panic and these high results are worrying me. I've not yet seen an endo and don't have one recommended either so I'm kind of freaking out. Please, any thoughts!

Thank you!

Tests: (1) THYROID PANEL + TSH (9225F)
TSH 4.44 mIU/L 0.40-5.50
TB
TSH REFERENCE RANGE:
For Pregnant Patients:
First Trimester 0.30-4.50 mIU/L
Second Trimester 0.50-4.60 mIU/L
Third Trimester 0.80-5.20 mIU/L

Tests: (2) (9225F)
T4,TOTAL 7.9 ug/dL 4.5-12.0
TB
T3 UPTAKE 28.6 Percent 27.8-40.7
TB
! T4,FREE,CALCULATED 2.26 Units 1.53-3.85
TB

Tests: (3) T3,FREE (30510P)
T3,FREE 322 pg/dL 230-420
TB

Tests: (4) THYROID PEROXIDASE AB (80994R)
! THYROID PEROXIDASE AB
[H] 44.8 IU/mL < or = 35
TB

Tests: (5) THYROGLOBULIN AB (80986R)
! THYROGLOBULIN AB [H] 272.0 IU/mL <20
TB

Last edited by b&wcats; 08-08-2006 at 05:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2006, 09:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Please help me interpret my latest test results

The high peroxidase and thyroglobulin antibody counts simply identify the cause of your hypoT... Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Yes, the counts are high, although not dreadfully so. That may or may not account for some of your symptoms, it's hard to be definite. Hashi's is the most common cause of hypoT in industrialized countries.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:57 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Like Midwest said, your antibody levels indicate you may have Hashimoto's, which is the most common cause of hypothyroidism. You may not have hypothyroidism yet, but with antibodies, which are attacking your thyroid gland, you may end up with hypothyroidism. Docs are still not in agreement as to the best way to treat patients with no symptoms, but obvious Hashi's.

My thyroid peroxidase antibodies were >25,600, and my thyroglobulin antibodies are 703 IU, to give you some perspective on things. I have been sick for almost 20 years, and have been disabled for over 13 years. I believe the high antibodies are the reason, but my old ENDO disagreed. She insisted the antibodies had "nothing" to do with how I felt. Fortunately, my medical doctor and my ENT agree that the presence of antibodies can make a person very sick.

Your titre for the thyroglobulin is high. How do you feel? What symptoms do you have? Are your docs willing to treat you, based on symptoms, and not TSH? Please keep posting, and keep reading, to educate yourself.

Good Luck!

Ora

Old 08-08-2006, 09:58 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Whoops! Just noticed you had a TSH of over 11, so it looks like you ARE hypothyroid! Sorry.

Ora

Old 08-08-2006, 10:47 PM   #5
(female)

b&wcats HB User

Thank you both so much! I am relieved to know what they mean. My doc had said she though the hypo was due to my 5 years of panic attacks (stress) but I guess that might have triggered something bigger then she thought.

It was kind of strange to finally have these results emailed to me by the nurse without any help whatsoever in understanding them. With my doctor gone on vacation it was very scary.

I am gradually feeling better -- it has been a very slow climb from early April. I had to start at 6mcg of time release T4 because I was so senstive to it. I've gotten up to 18mcg of the same medicine, spread out in two doses. We are aiming for 25mcg!

The tiredness is still there, and I have to really pace myself. If I get stressed I get tired or dizzy or both. I haven't been able to eat almost anything due to stomach pains when I eat for the last three months -- I had a lot of tests for that and everything came back negative. So far everyone, including the specalist, is saying maybe it's "stress." Oh, that is helpful!

I think I'll feel better once I can eat again and start a bit of exercise. And find another job! Hard to work when you feel like you are going to fall over!

The anxiety/panic are improving also, slowly.

This stuff takes work, doesn't it? And here there are people like you who have been ill for 20 years. Ack. I am so glad when good doctors are found. I like my doctor a lot but she's really busy and I don't think she actually knows that much about the thyroid. So I guess I will go in hunt of an endo!

Thank you thank you I greatly appreciate both of your time and expertise.

Best wishes for health and healing!

Closed Thread