It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
(female)

Tammyshell HB User
Exclamation Body/Joint/Muscle Pain

Is this common with Hashi's? My back and legs and shoulders and neck are often killing me they ache so bad. It's not so much shooting or sharp pain, but it's just a achy hurt type of feeling. I'm on painkillers regurly for it, but it just seems to be getting worse and it's hard for me to walk distances and stand for long periods of time. And even sometimes if I sit too long in the same position I get to aching.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal for hypo T/Hashi's?

I know one thing I am darned sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Body/Joint/Muscle Pain

Tammy,

Yes, some people do experience that sort of pain w/hypoT. Are you on medication? If so, perhaps it needs to be increased. The most telling lab tests are the free thyroid hormone levels -- free T3, free T4, and thyroid antibodies.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

I am so sorry for you! It is a real cross to be in constant pain - and few people can understand what you are dealing with.

I am convinced that SOME people can experience this type of pain with thyroid disorders. I began having the same type of aching, such as you describe, back in 1989, when I was 5 months pregnant. I still have it, 17 years later, only it is much worse than when it first began. There is not a square centimeter of my body, arms, legs, head or neck that does not throb and ache all the time. Even my soft tissue hurts - any pressure on me feels like pressing on a bruise - so standing hurts the bottoms of my feet, sitting hurts all areas in touch with the chair, lying down hurts any area in contact with the bed. Even my insides hurt! I began taking strong narcotics for the pain about 3 years ago, because I have taken so many NSAIDS that I began to worry about damage to my liver - 14 years of massive doses is a long time. Even the narcotics don't help much - they just take the "edge" off a little, to make the pain more tolerable.

As I said, I am certain that it is a symptom for some people. Not everyone has pain with thyroid disorder, so there may be a genetic component to it. Looking back, I've had pain somewhere in my body ever since I was a child. I would get horrible shin splints when I ran, or foot pain if on my feet all day, or body aches if I did too much strenuous physical activity - but it always resolved after a good night's sleep. Now, I have not had a minute of freedom from pain for 17 years. I was dx'd with "Fibromyalgia" shortly after this all began, which was good for the docs, since they could blame all my symptoms on fibro, and didn't have to check my thyroid. (My TSH's were always on "normal" range). I never accepted that dx, because my medical background told me that there was no such "syndrome" until the late 1970's. I believe it was literally "made up" when docs stopped being able to dx thyroid disease, because they began to rely too much on the TSH as a screen. It seems to be evident to anyone but an idiot that the TSH is NOT an accurate barometer of thyroid disorder.

There is a Dr. John Lowe, who is a fibro expert from Colorado, who is convinced that fibro is often symptom of thyroid disease - either undetected, or undertreated. His web page is very interesting to read - I think he makes a very compelling case for why he believes that.

There are some on this board who say that their pains went away, or got better, when their hormone levels were optimized. Some even had complete pain resolution after thyroidectomy. I pray that is the case for me - I am scheduled for a TT two weeks from today - August 21st.

Hope this helps.

Ora

Old 08-08-2006, 07:31 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

I am so sorry for you! It is a real cross to be in constant pain - and few people can understand what you are dealing with.

I am convinced that SOME people can experience this type of pain with thyroid disorders. I began having the same type of aching, such as you describe, back in 1989, when I was 5 months pregnant. I still have it, 17 years later, only it is much worse than when it first began. There is not a square centimeter of my body, arms, legs, head or neck that does not throb and ache all the time. Even my soft tissue hurts - any pressure on me feels like pressing on a bruise - so standing hurts the bottoms of my feet, sitting hurts all areas in touch with the chair, lying down hurts any area in contact with the bed. Even my insides hurt! I began taking strong narcotics for the pain about 3 years ago, because I have taken so many NSAIDS that I began to worry about damage to my liver - 14 years of massive doses is a long time. Even the narcotics don't help much - they just take the "edge" off a little, to make the pain more tolerable.

As I said, I am certain that it is a symptom for some people. Not everyone has pain with thyroid disorder, so there may be a genetic component to it. Looking back, I've had pain somewhere in my body ever since I was a child. I would get horrible shin splints when I ran, or foot pain if on my feet all day, or body aches if I did too much strenuous physical activity - but it always resolved after a good night's sleep. Now, I have not had a minute of freedom from pain for 17 years. I was dx'd with "Fibromyalgia" shortly after this all began, which was good for the docs, since they could blame all my symptoms on fibro, and didn't have to check my thyroid. (My TSH's were always on "normal" range). I never accepted that dx, because my medical background told me that there was no such "syndrome" until the late 1970's. I believe it was literally "made up" when docs stopped being able to dx thyroid disease, because they began to rely too much on the TSH as a screen. It seems to be evident to anyone but an idiot that the TSH is NOT an accurate barometer of thyroid disorder.

There is a Dr. John Lowe, who is a fibro expert from Colorado, who is convinced that fibro is often symptom of thyroid disease - either undetected, or undertreated. His web page is very interesting to read - I think he makes a very compelling case for why he believes that.

There are some on this board who say that their pains went away, or got better, when their hormone levels were optimized. Some even had complete pain resolution after thyroidectomy. I pray that is the case for me - I am scheduled for a TT two weeks from today - August 21st.

Hope this helps.

Ora

Old 08-08-2006, 07:43 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

I am one of those people with deep muscle pain from thyroid. When I get enough T3 in my system, via Armour, (I also take Levoxyl), that pain greatly diminishes.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:39 AM   #6
(female)

appleofearth HB User

when I'm going hypo I get joint and muscle pain, mostly in my legs.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:36 AM   #7
(female)

jdn5764 HB User

HI Tammy,
although I'm having issues with my Gp here in the UK, I am convinced I am hypo. The symptoms you describe are like me, when I wake up in the morning the joints in my knees, and elbows hurt and if I put my knees together its unbearable. (Feels like I'm growing extra bone).
My knees creek when I go upstairs which I finding more and more harder to do. At the age of 42 I don't want all this. But at the moment with the gp saying that my tsh level is okay and to go away its the menopause theres nothing I can do.
But I do know where your coming from

Old 08-10-2006, 05:44 PM   #8
(female)

Tammyshell HB User

Thank you all so much for your help. I'm toying with the idea that I may have fibromyalgia. I'm not sure but I have a doc appt tomorrow and I am going to ask him about it. We'll see! But thank you all for your responses and I hope that you guys too get to feeling better.

I would be the happiest person in the world and would do the happy dance if I never had to hear or deal with my thyroid ever again!!!

Hugs to all of you!
Tammy

Old 08-11-2006, 03:05 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Ora I hope all gones well with your TT, let us know how things go.
take care ...Mandy

Old 08-11-2006, 07:05 AM   #10
(female)

daisy01 HB User

The only way to describe this type of pain is like having constant flu isnt it? unless others, drs in particular have felt this way then they couldnt even begin to understand how it feels.

Its a real chilled to the bone type of ache and i think that coping with this just adds to the depression, fatigue and lethargy. I still get this way if I have overdone it, or like the other week after having my teeth scaled and polished. It was like being hypo all over again.

good luck with your appt xxxx
daisy

Closed Thread