It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 05:14 AM   #1
(female)

rw82 HB User
HYPO and WEIGHT

Quick question about hypo. I know you gain weight with this. Once you get on medication won't you lose weight after awhile ?

Old 08-09-2006, 05:37 AM   #2
(female)

marissamm HB User
Re: HYPO and WEIGHT

I had att dec 2004,was very hypo and gained 70 lbs within 10 years, i was always skinny, 2 months ago i started a diet and so far i lost 27 lbs, hopefully i can keep it off.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 06:33 AM   #3
(female)

rw82 HB User

Congrats on the weight loss. What kind of diet ?

I will get my results Monday. Labs show I'm hyper but I know that you can go hypo so I'm trying to cover everything !

Old 08-10-2006, 07:03 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User

Its my understanding that after they find the correct medication dosage, then the wieght loss begins to happen almost naturally.

I've been on thy meds 6 months & we have yet to find the magic combination. On 59 mcg's of Cytomel, we are close just not quite there.

Sue

Old 08-10-2006, 08:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I don't think very large weight loss will happen automatically after getting the right dose. Some water weight should because when you are hypo, besides gaining weight from a slow metabolism, you also hold onto water.

I didn't gain much weight at all after going hypo for RAI after my TT, but it took many months, and exercise and eating right after getting to my right dose to lose those few pounds I did gain.

I think it's much easier to put it on than take it off....

Old 08-21-2006, 12:21 PM   #6
(female)

Kristin9924 HB User
Wink Re: HYPO and WEIGHT

I was diagnosed as hypothyroid two months ago. In the two and a half years before I gained 40 lbs (and I went through high school and five years of college staying the same weight.) I am 5'3", so 40 lbs has doubled the dress size, I went from a size 6 to a size 12. Along with the weight gain from being hypo I also became depressed (in part because of the weight gain). One of my doctors put me on an antidepressant "guaranteed" not to cause weight gain (lexapro). Well, when I went to a different doctor to be tested for a thyroid disorder, I was told that the lexapro actually does cause weight gain and he switched me to welbutrinxl. In the week between having my levels tested and coming in for the follow up, I lost 5 lbs just from switching antidepressants. Then during my follow up I was put on levoxyl for the thyroid problem and phentermine to help jump start my metabolism until my thyroid levels normalized. The following two months I lost an additional 10 lbs.

The whole time (even when putting on the 40 lbs) I have worked out one hour a day 4-5 times a week. I do a combination of cardio, weights and yoga. An important part of losing weight is doing resistance training. This can be with weight machines, free weights or even resistance bands depending on your level of fitness. It is important to build muscle and not just burn calories from doing cardio because every pound of muscle will burn about 60 calories a day, maybe a little less for us hypos. So the more muscle you have, the higher your basal metabolism will become.

Another thing that I have noticed since being on levoxyl is that I have more energy to actually workout and not feel exhausted. In turn, working out has given me even more energy, plus those endorphines make me feel better all around. I don't know how long it is going to take me to shed all the weight that I gained, but I am hoping that I can get back to my normal weight and stay there.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:22 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

heddy73 HB User

I feel for you. I am only 5 ft. and any extra weight really shows up. I was at a size 12-14 at my heighest weight and am at a size 8-10 right now. Not a huge difference but I feel better about myself. I haven't found much to really help with the weight loss. It happens naturally like someone mentioned above.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:46 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

same here. gained 25 pounds since i was dx with an enlarged thyroid and hypo the end of june. will not see the endo for any treatment until mid sept. was always a size 4. now i am a 14 and feel like a blob. big arms and belly. that's where all the weight went. i look deformed and can't find clothes that fit. if they fit my belly their to big everywhere else. UGH!!

Old 08-24-2006, 07:31 AM   #9
(female)

clueless42 HB User

OMG - right there with ya sisters!!!! I never had a weight problem, pertty much ate what I wanted and was some what active. Then, 11 years ago BAM - the size of a friggn' house!!!
Depression set in and I was put on antidepressants. As you may know from my other postings, I had my left lobe removed and was diagnosed with hashis 8/05. I had NEVER had my throid tested (that I'm aware of) until last year when I went to an alergist because I had cronic sinus infections. He palpated my thyriod and asked me if I knew it was enlarged. So, I think I've probably had this going on for the past 11 years. The multinodular goiter that the surgeon removed was bigger then his fist. It had gone under my collar bone and dislocated my esophegus.
My weight has fluctuated 5 - 10 punds since the sergery.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:19 AM   #10
(female)

daisy01 HB User

before my dx I was being tested for rapid weight loss( had a necrotic bowel 8 months before) i now know I was probably in the hyper phase of my hashi's. within 7 weeks of taking levothyroxine I gained 30lb weight which I couldnt budge.

I have been taking Armour for a couple of months and have now lost 28lb without trying. I dont have hyper symptoms, so I feel I am at the right dosage for me.
best wishes
daisy

Old 08-26-2006, 01:56 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

LisaBob HB User

I've been hypo about 10 years and have been on synthroid for nearly all of it. Tired, fat, depressed...etc...you know the story. I've always worked out at the gym 3-5x a week and have sometimes been able to get my weight down to my normal small (size 8) size.

In the last year I've really gained and gotten more tired and more depressed. I'm trying to get to the bottom of it medically and, in the meantime, just did lipo - this week. OMG I am SO sore but definitely smaller. I really really hope that I can get ahead of the weight and find out what's growing on my thyroid and not end up like this again.

I've also started taking something for the depression. I forget what, but I'm not sure if it's working.

Anyway, I guess this is one way to go. Ughhhhhhhhhhh. Owwwwwwww. sigh...

Closed Thread