It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
(female)

supermom0321 HB User
Itching is driving me crazy!!!

I had a TT 4 weeks ago today and last night my incision started itching like crazy!! Any one else with itching?? Starting on Mederma (for the scarring)about 5 days ago... could this be causing the itching? Also, I am still not back to normal with my calcium. It dropped yesterday, to 7.3. I now on 8000mg of Calcium a day. Getting depressed that my parathyriods are not going to come back. Anyone had any experience with generic calcium versus the name brand? Pharmacist says they are the same but after I changed, to the Generic, my calcium dropped even more. So, I put both tablets in water last night (a cool experiement, my kids thought) and the name brand Os-cal disolved alot faster. I switched back to the name brand...anyone with any insight on my troubles????

thank you for any advice

Old 08-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
(female)

rozzihippychick HB User
Re: Itching is driving me crazy!!!

Hi
Its taken 8 weeks for my calcium levels to get near normal. I found the dissolvable form was,nt enough and hard on my stomach so used them along with chewable calcium trade name ad cal on prescription, I also started reflexology sessions and that got the levels moving. As for the itching I don,t know about the medication you mention I did,nt take anything but I got itching too it worked out the incision was infected and antibiotics done the trick. My surgeon told me some people are sensitive to the surgical adhesive that is used but it usually wears off within 3 months. Hope this helps Rozzi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2006, 07:16 AM   #3
(female)

supermom0321 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozzihippychick
Hi
Its taken 8 weeks for my calcium levels to get near normal. I found the dissolvable form was,nt enough and hard on my stomach so used them along with chewable calcium trade name ad cal on prescription, I also started reflexology sessions and that got the levels moving. As for the itching I don,t know about the medication you mention I did,nt take anything but I got itching too it worked out the incision was infected and antibiotics done the trick. My surgeon told me some people are sensitive to the surgical adhesive that is used but it usually wears off within 3 months. Hope this helps Rozzi
Rozzi
did you have to get a presciption for the chewable calcuim, or is it over the counter. I asked my doctor about taking any other kinds of calcium, and he said no, the Os-Cal was the best. It is a little frustrating to me. I take 8000 mg a day. my calcium on tues was 7.3 and I started taking 8000 from 4000 on tues night, and yesterday, it was up to 7.7. Seems like with that much calcium, It aught to be 12 or something!!! How much calcium did u have to take and how did u know when your calcium/parathyriods came back? Did you have any problems with constipation, headache or nausea and vomiting??

Old 08-12-2006, 08:56 AM   #4
(female)

BJCPMJM HB User

Dear Supermom
I just had my TT done July 31, and the itching started like two days later But, we were always told it was a sign of healing (and a good one ) I believe it was Sudafu that told me to put hydrocortisone around the incision and cold towels on the incision. It has worked wonders for me. I had some fluid in the incision and it drained on thursday. Went back to surgeon on friday and she said it wasn't infected so in my case it wasn't an infection that caused the itching. Sorry I can't help with calcium mine didn't really drop that much and when it did Not enough for the Dr. to be concerned I just drank milk all day and I was fine. You are continually in my prayers you all are.
Arethia

Old 08-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
(female)

rozzihippychick HB User

I am on prescription calcium Adcal-D 10 microgram x 4 a day chewable tablets and AlfaD 0,5 microgram 1 capsule a day. My doctor figured I don,t absorb the dissolvable stuff very well so my calcium level never improved much and I got lots of limb tingling ang limb and stomach cramps and nausea my bowel movement where both extremes. With the calcium I am on now I am ok my digestive system must absorb it in the correct manner. With the incision try cloth icebags and warm moist cloths it soothes and reduces any swelling. Don,t lift or reach much at first it can cause problems like tearing. Rozzi

Old 08-12-2006, 08:50 PM   #6
(female)

supermom0321 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozzihippychick
I am on prescription calcium Adcal-D 10 microgram x 4 a day chewable tablets and AlfaD 0,5 microgram 1 capsule a day. My doctor figured I don,t absorb the dissolvable stuff very well so my calcium level never improved much and I got lots of limb tingling ang limb and stomach cramps and nausea my bowel movement where both extremes. With the calcium I am on now I am ok my digestive system must absorb it in the correct manner. With the incision try cloth icebags and warm moist cloths it soothes and reduces any swelling. Don,t lift or reach much at first it can cause problems like tearing. Rozzi
Thank you so much for all the good information. Turns out that the itching was from the Mederma ointment I was using. Sarrted after about 5 days or so after I started it. I will tell my ENT about the presciptions u told me about. Is yourcalcium good now? how long will you have to take all of it?
Thanks. Robin

Old 08-12-2006, 08:59 PM   #7
(female)

supermom0321 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCPMJM
Dear Supermom
I just had my TT done July 31, and the itching started like two days later But, we were always told it was a sign of healing (and a good one ) I believe it was Sudafu that told me to put hydrocortisone around the incision and cold towels on the incision. It has worked wonders for me. I had some fluid in the incision and it drained on thursday. Went back to surgeon on friday and she said it wasn't infected so in my case it wasn't an infection that caused the itching. Sorry I can't help with calcium mine didn't really drop that much and when it did Not enough for the Dr. to be concerned I just drank milk all day and I was fine. You are continually in my prayers you all are.
Arethia
thank you for the information. I found out that the itching was from the Mederma ointment I was using. I put benedryl cream on it and it got better.
thank you-Robin

Old 08-13-2006, 01:16 PM   #8
(female)

rozzihippychick HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermom0321
thank you for the information. I found out that the itching was from the Mederma ointment I was using. I put benedryl cream on it and it got better.
thank you-Robin
Glad you got to the bottom of the mystery Robin. According to bloodtests friday my calcium is a shade off of normal levels so I will stay on the meds for a couple more weeks. My surgery was june 7th and I lost one parathyroid forever during it the others were bruised but showing function at last. Wishing you well from here in the uk Rozzi

Old 08-13-2006, 02:20 PM   #9
(female)

kwebster HB User

Robin!
The Mederma is the culprit for the itching! I immediately switched. I suggest the Neosporin Silicon Strips. Cost about $30.00 and will supply you for 12 weeks. Amazing results. Plastic surgeons use this. I use it to protect the scar from the sun and also to flatten the scar out! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this product.

I also have problems with the calcium. Os-cal is the best product. Had TT on June 21st. I can now play around with the calcium to see if and when I need to take it. Was on massive doses! Had severe cramping, etc. rozzi and I have been through similar circumstances. Anyway, your parathyroids will come back. Mine were just lazy and taking time. It takes a while.

Kathy

Old 08-14-2006, 05:51 PM   #10
(female)

supermom0321 HB User

Kathy,
What is your calcium now? Do you get to take your calcium whenever you feel symptoms, like cramping or tingling? How much calcium were you on? how long before your calcium came back? I am going on 5 weeks now.

really appreciate your good information you and everyone gives.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:06 PM   #11
(female)

kwebster HB User

In the beginning post op I was on 3000-4000mg of calcium plus the Rocalcitol and magnesium. It's now 7 weeks post op and I think it's coming back to normal. I put a call into the endo to see what latest levels were. I get hand numbness but I think it's because I am severally hypothyroid due to the RAI treatment. Hope that helps.
kathy

Old 08-16-2006, 04:10 PM   #12
(female)

supermom0321 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwebster
In the beginning post op I was on 3000-4000mg of calcium plus the Rocalcitol and magnesium. It's now 7 weeks post op and I think it's coming back to normal. I put a call into the endo to see what latest levels were. I get hand numbness but I think it's because I am severally hypothyroid due to the RAI treatment. Hope that helps.
kathy
thank you so much for all your help...

Closed Thread