It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User
Unhappy FINALLY had antibodies tested, can someone pls look at my numbers & help me?

I haven't been here in a long time. I prev. had TSH tested & was 27.5 (and low/normal T3 & T4). Was immed. put on Synthroid.

Took only 25 mcg of Synthroid & became very ill as a result within 2-3 weeks. Was hospitalized due to severe dizziness & pains in head, and my TSH in the hospital was 1.0. I was taken off Synthroid & told the 27.5 TSH was prob. a lab error.

Still feeling awful so I found a new doc to do a full panel.

Here is my workup as of 7/27 - TSH still within normal range but has been slowly climbing.

TSH 3.24 (.40 - 4.00)
FT4 1.2 (.8 - 1.9)
FT3 3.3 (1.8 - 4.2)
Reverse T3 21.0 (14.9 - 26.1)
Anti TG 920 (<=40)
Anti TPO >1000 (<=34)

Obviously my antibodies are sky-high. And my TSH is creeping up & up based on a few tests in the past 45 days. It was 2.56 just 2 weeks prior.

What does this all mean? I cannot tolerate Synthroid. Will I possibly do well on Armour or something ??

Doctor put me on Vitamin E & other antioxidants for now, and we will meet in 2 weeks. She is a homeopathic MD & prescribes Armour if needed.

Any help is really appreciated, thanks so much!

Old 08-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User
Re: FINALLY had antibodies tested, can someone pls look at my numbers & help me?

I love the way they always blame things on "lab error" - especially when they don't know what is going on!! And if it was "lab error" when your TSH was reported at 27, then how do they know it was not "lab error" when it was reported at 1.0? It's hard to believe that only 2-3 weeks on such a low dose of synthroid would cause the pituitary to react so dramatically. What were your free T3 and T4 levels when your TSH was 1.0?

Your antibodies are high! I have very high antibodies too, and am convinced they are the reason I feel so horrible, because over the past 3 years I have taken various combinations of synthetic T4 + T3, Armour, and Timed release T3. I have seen major improvements in some symptoms, like hair loss, dry skin, heartburn, incontinence, and being cold all the time, but the symptoms which have caused me to be disabled, like overwhelming fatigue, headaches, muscle/joint and soft tissue pain, and generally feeling like I have a horrible flu, still remain. I would love for someone to do a study to see how many people presenting with high antibodies were helped by hormone replacement alone. And since I have been ill for almost 20 years, and only just recently (3 years ago) properly diagnosed and treated, will the length of time I have been ill take longer for me to feel better on hormone replacement alone? Hard questions.

You are lucky to have a doc willing to try you on Armour. It looks like you could use some, since you TSH is slightly high and creeping higher (and who can say what is "normal" for you??), and your frees could go up a little. It has not helped me return to work, although it has helped so many other people. Also, it has helped me more than anything else I've been on, at least with regard to some tolerable hypo symptoms. What does your doc say? And, what is her opinion of the high antibodies? Some docs have told me the antibodies have "nothing" to do with how I feel, and some docs have said the antibodies are what is making me so sick. I tend to believe the latter, and am having a TT in 2 weeks. If that doesn't help me, I don't know what will.

Don't mean to sound pessimistic, but am only relating my experience. You may do quite well on Armour. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Blessings!

Ora

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User
Re: FINALLY had antibodies tested, can someone pls look at my numbers & help me?

Hi Ora,
Thanks for writing back to me. I"m sorry but I don't have my "old" numbers handy other than the TSH (becuz I remembered it!) but T4 was at lower end of range, and T3 was at middle of range.

For now I'm loading up on vitamins & antioxidants per my homeopathic MD, and have a follow up appt. in 12 days.

I'm trying to find more info about the whole antibody situation and what it means when they are so high. Like - how did it happen?? What are the possible complications? All that stuff

I really wish you well, Ora. You've been ill for so long!! I feel so bad for you. It does freak me out - but I will try & stay optimistic that I will feel better. Don't give up, and neither will I.

Take care!

Old 08-10-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User

Well I can say that by your numbers for antibodies you have Hashi's and from what I have been told antibodies with the autoimmune diseases are the key to see how well you really are doing. They will go up and down depending on how active the disease is, which would tell you if your thyroid is underattack or not. So that inturn would make you believe the higher the antibodies the sicker you are, which is true. From what I understand with Hashi's it's like a roller coaster ride sometimes, as the TSH will go up and down alot....causing you to be hypo, or normal sometimes....I'm speaking from the Graves stand point though, but they are just different ends of the same line really. See I am on Armour now that I am hypo, and it has worked better than the other meds I tried. If the synthroid made you sick it might work for you. I know two people that are allergic to the synthetic drugs and Armour works for them.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin4aclue
Well I can say that by your numbers for antibodies you have Hashi's and from what I have been told antibodies with the autoimmune diseases are the key to see how well you really are doing. They will go up and down depending on how active the disease is, which would tell you if your thyroid is underattack or not. So that inturn would make you believe the higher the antibodies the sicker you are, which is true. From what I understand with Hashi's it's like a roller coaster ride sometimes, as the TSH will go up and down alot....causing you to be hypo, or normal sometimes....I'm speaking from the Graves stand point though, but they are just different ends of the same line really. See I am on Armour now that I am hypo, and it has worked better than the other meds I tried. If the synthroid made you sick it might work for you. I know two people that are allergic to the synthetic drugs and Armour works for them.
THanks so much for your reply! I figured those high antibodies didn't mean anything good, that's for sure LOL.

Glad to hear that Armour works for some folks that couldn't handle Synthroid. It makes me hopeful.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:23 PM   #6
(female)

b&wcats HB User

for what it's worth I had to start out on time release 6mcg of T4 made specially for me... now up to 18mcg (taking it divided in half during the day) after almost 5 months. That's how slowly I've had to go in order to tolerate it. I have to have it shipped to me from a lab my doctor works with to get these totally pure no binders or fillers capsules of the stuff...

Old 08-12-2006, 07:46 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by b&wcats
for what it's worth I had to start out on time release 6mcg of T4 made specially for me... now up to 18mcg (taking it divided in half during the day) after almost 5 months. That's how slowly I've had to go in order to tolerate it. I have to have it shipped to me from a lab my doctor works with to get these totally pure no binders or fillers capsules of the stuff...
Hey thanks for telling me about that... it's good to know. I know that I will definitely start taking a super low dose of armour (or whatever we start on), that's for sure

Old 08-13-2006, 04:56 AM   #8
(female)

daisy01 HB User

I took levothyroxine for 8 months, my labs were getting better but the symptoms got worse. I had felt better before diagnosis than I did after.
I am now on 2 grains of Armour and my symptoms have disappeared.
best wishes
daisy xxx

Old 08-14-2006, 02:11 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

zoso, where have you been?
its good to see you back on the boards< i did ask about you on the boards, its weird that they did that to you zo, one thing though im not getting any more thyroxine and my tsh is worse itsn 3.9 and the ft4 is 13 the thyroid hormones made you ill last time maybe you should have secound bloods to reassure yourself have yoyu got hashis ?? its good to hear from you love from katpursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 08-20-2006, 12:30 AM   #10
(female)

jogger HB User

i've been hypo for 12 years. symptoms were heart palpitations. i was having an irregular heart beat every other beat, my rate was 180. I was not feeling too good. my tsh was 10.8. went to see an endo and he tested me for antibodies. He said the more antibodies you have the less your thyroid is working.i had "millions" of them. i have been on increasing doses of synthroid since.

Last edited by jogger; 08-20-2006 at 12:33 AM.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:22 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

jogger i get palps also with my hashis is this symptom starting to settle down a bit now? whats been the major changes to your life sinse the meds lots of love from pursie..............................

hope you can talk soon love from your matey katpursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by moderator2; 08-22-2006 at 10:13 AM.

Closed Thread