It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
(female)

kteacher HB User
Unhappy high blood pressure in doctor's office????

Since I started to see an Endo last year and receive steadily increasing doses of
synthroid my blood pressure has steadily gone up. It started at 128/80 ..then went to 138/80 ..then went to 140/82 and now today it was 150/89!! All of these increases have coincided with stronger doses of synthroid each time. They are trying to get my TSH at a good level and the TSH has been getting better with the stronger doses of synthroid but why is my blood pressure going up?? I admit I am "way" overly anxious in the doctor's office and I worry that my blood pressure will be high and it almost is a self-fulfilling prophecy!
but could it be caused by the synthroid. By the way, my TSH is still at a 6 so the doctor thinks the underactive thyroid could be causing the high blood pressure. I just feel too young to have blood pressure that high! I am in my late 30's!
I wonder though if it is anxiety or could the synthroid be causing it?/
Anyone have any input or similar experiences ? i would appreciate it!!

Last edited by kteacher; 08-09-2006 at 04:27 PM.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: high blood pressure in doctor's office????

One of the ways I know my dose needs an increase is that my BP gets "spikey". Normal one day and high the next. When my thyroid levels are better, the BP is more uniformly normal. So your doctor is right on about the hypoT causing the high BP. And too, your apprehension about it being high is probably causing it to spike more than it would otherwise.

BP is meant to go up during times of anxiety and stress. That's natural. It's only when it won't come back down due to constant stress (or when there isn't enough thyroid hormone in the body) that it becomes a major problem. Don't panic. Give it time. If the Synthroid doesn't do the trick, you have time to take care of it later.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
(female)

Staci27 HB User
Re: high blood pressure in doctor's office????

I have a mild case of what's called 'white coat syndrome'. I always get anxious before a doctor appt. This always makes my first blood pressure reading high since they take it first thing after checking me in. I know that it's anxiety, because I always ask them to retake it after I've been there a while and it's always lower. Try this. Then you'll know if anxiety is contributing.

Closed Thread