It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2006, 06:53 AM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1
savagecg HB User
Anyone have this scenario?

I am a 51 year old white female normally in excellent heath. I am hoping someone out there can give me some information. My thyroid blood tests are all normal. My ultrasound with fine needle aspiration biopsy showed follicular neoplasms. Just had a CT scan August 7th and don't have the results to that yet. I am having a total thyroidectomy on August 23, 2006. I have a single cold nodule 4cm and growing daily in the left side and a single cold nodule 2-3cm in the right. I have the voice changes, tightness in my neck, sometimes pain in my neck, dry cough, loss of appetite, and in general just don't feel well. My surgeon says I have a 15% chance that it (the follicular neoplasms) is malignant and an 85% chance that it is benign. But, we won't know until during the surgery when they remove my thyroid and do the biopsies at that time. Unfortunately, surgery is the only way to diagnose the follicular neoplasms. I was wondering and hoping that someone might have gone through what I am going through right now and could tell me their story. Thank you all for any information you can give me.

 
Old 08-10-2006, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 3,682
Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Anyone have this scenario?

There are many many pp., if you look back and search the boards here, that have been thru. exactly the situation as you. Many had them removed, and they were benign. (one person with a very uncomfortable and large but benign nodule was someone named "kant" on the boards, try a search)

I had normal bloodwork. My 2.5 cm nodule FNA said Pappillary cancer, and I had my thyroid removed, and then I had an RAI pill treatment and now I'm on synthroid hormone replacement, and thankfully, feeling fine.

Based upon the many pp. who have gone thru. these boards with follicular neoplasms---yes, the only way to know for sure is to have the surgery, yes, the surgery will make you feel better in your neck, and yes, even though many of these were not cancerous, they were happy to have them out.

Also, these nodules do have a tendency to eventually turn to cancer, so it's a good idea to get them out. On the other hand, most are not cancer, and many pp. are walking around with them and not knowing it.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-13-2006, 06:14 AM   #3
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: central florida
Posts: 87
bkerber HB User
Re: Anyone have this scenario?

I am in the same place as you right now. My FNA came back suspicious. I havent gotten the full report yet, but I will on Tuesday. I have already had a PET scan for something else and thats where they saw uptake in my left thyroid. US showed 4 cm nodule.. Im not looking forward to this operation. I had a total hysterectomy last year due to endometrial cancer. I get nervous with all this cancer talk. I hope your results come back benign and you do well with the surgery.

 
Old 08-13-2006, 07:39 AM   #4
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ft. Walton Beach, Fl
Posts: 21
indias HB User
Re: Anyone have this scenario?

I had a "suspicious" FNA in April, had TT on April 25 and the frozen section they took during surgery showed "benign". However, when the removed tissue was sent to the lab, it came back Follicular Carcinoma within one day.
Don't be too worried about the surgery. It will be nothing like your previous surgery. If is not very painful and I was back at work 2 days after and could have been back in one day.

Just a little helpful advice. Start NOW. Ask for copies of ALL blood work, scans, and most important, copies of the pathology report---no matter if it shows benign or cancer. You will be glad you did in the future.

Good luck--it should be a piece of cake for you.

India

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
I'm new to this, can anyone help me out? UCSF Orofacial Pain Clinic? diondranicole TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint 9 05-07-2009 12:05 AM
Has anyone tried this type of thing for your harm ocd hunting Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) 3 10-03-2008 10:28 PM
Can anyone explain to me why girls do things like this?!! Mattm4000 Relationship Health 5 04-26-2007 01:41 AM
anyone use a sperm donor? sommer320 Infertility 11 01-31-2007 02:05 PM
Best Case Scenario ddboles Lyme Disease 2 05-02-2006 06:31 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Armour
Cytomel
Levothroid
Levoxyl
Potassium
  Synthroid
Tapazole
Unithroid
Xanax
Zoloft




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



sammy64 (668), midwest1 (631), FinnMaid (312), Reece (225), lisa789 (196), Tree Frog (80), mkgbrook (72), cd37 (56), ladybud (47), Bran'sNana (44)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1007), Apollo123 (906), Titchou (851), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:22 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!