It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2006, 06:53 AM   #1
(female)

savagecg HB User
Anyone have this scenario?

I am a 51 year old white female normally in excellent heath. I am hoping someone out there can give me some information. My thyroid blood tests are all normal. My ultrasound with fine needle aspiration biopsy showed follicular neoplasms. Just had a CT scan August 7th and don't have the results to that yet. I am having a total thyroidectomy on August 23, 2006. I have a single cold nodule 4cm and growing daily in the left side and a single cold nodule 2-3cm in the right. I have the voice changes, tightness in my neck, sometimes pain in my neck, dry cough, loss of appetite, and in general just don't feel well. My surgeon says I have a 15% chance that it (the follicular neoplasms) is malignant and an 85% chance that it is benign. But, we won't know until during the surgery when they remove my thyroid and do the biopsies at that time. Unfortunately, surgery is the only way to diagnose the follicular neoplasms. I was wondering and hoping that someone might have gone through what I am going through right now and could tell me their story. Thank you all for any information you can give me.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Anyone have this scenario?

There are many many pp., if you look back and search the boards here, that have been thru. exactly the situation as you. Many had them removed, and they were benign. (one person with a very uncomfortable and large but benign nodule was someone named "kant" on the boards, try a search)

I had normal bloodwork. My 2.5 cm nodule FNA said Pappillary cancer, and I had my thyroid removed, and then I had an RAI pill treatment and now I'm on synthroid hormone replacement, and thankfully, feeling fine.

Based upon the many pp. who have gone thru. these boards with follicular neoplasms---yes, the only way to know for sure is to have the surgery, yes, the surgery will make you feel better in your neck, and yes, even though many of these were not cancerous, they were happy to have them out.

Also, these nodules do have a tendency to eventually turn to cancer, so it's a good idea to get them out. On the other hand, most are not cancer, and many pp. are walking around with them and not knowing it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2006, 06:14 AM   #3
(female)

bkerber HB User

I am in the same place as you right now. My FNA came back suspicious. I havent gotten the full report yet, but I will on Tuesday. I have already had a PET scan for something else and thats where they saw uptake in my left thyroid. US showed 4 cm nodule.. Im not looking forward to this operation. I had a total hysterectomy last year due to endometrial cancer. I get nervous with all this cancer talk. I hope your results come back benign and you do well with the surgery.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:39 AM   #4
(female)

indias HB User

I had a "suspicious" FNA in April, had TT on April 25 and the frozen section they took during surgery showed "benign". However, when the removed tissue was sent to the lab, it came back Follicular Carcinoma within one day.
Don't be too worried about the surgery. It will be nothing like your previous surgery. If is not very painful and I was back at work 2 days after and could have been back in one day.

Just a little helpful advice. Start NOW. Ask for copies of ALL blood work, scans, and most important, copies of the pathology report---no matter if it shows benign or cancer. You will be glad you did in the future.

Good luck--it should be a piece of cake for you.

India

Closed Thread