It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2006, 09:46 AM   #1
(female)

artist54 HB User
Question back home after TT

Tuesday's surgery went well and it's good to be home.
The surgeon decided to remove my entire thyroid, because there were smaller growths on my left lobe. I still have to wait for at least a week to get the pathology on the tumor that was removed from the right lobe.
I feel OK. I have a very low, gravely voice. My dogs are very confused when I talk to them.
I'm still on a mostly liquid diet......swallowing sucks. Although, I did fix myself a poached egg this morning .... that went down well.
Next Friday I'll see the surgeon for follow-up and hopefully good results. I still need to set up an appointment with my endocrinologist. Currently I'm on 0.137 MG of Synthroid.
Are there other medications that I'll need to take now that my thyroid gland has been removed?
I'm so glad this site is here. Everyone has been so supportive.
Thanks so much.
Artist

Old 08-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Intrigue50 HB User
Re: back home after TT

Welcome home, artist! So glad the surgery went well. A low, hoarse voice after the surgery is very common....mine is still so strange after two weeks that my african grey parrot still refuses to come near me unless I'm silent, lol. I was able to eat a soft boiled egg the day after surgery and eat normally the day after that, so it sounds like you're about right on schedule. And, like you, I had nodules on both lobes, but the biopsy turned out benign.

My ENT did not mention an endocrinologist for follow up care and I've been wondering if he'll do that next visit. I'm on .100 mcg of synthroid (check your prescription -- it should say mcg, not mg) and am also curious as to whether I'll be put on any other meds. I know the regulars can answer that question.

Glad to have you back.

Intrigue

Last edited by Intrigue50; 08-10-2006 at 10:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2006, 10:54 AM   #3
(female)

artist54 HB User

I have a cockatail and he's very upset that my voice has changed because of the surgery. He won't even come out of his cage to visit with me. He just sits in his cage and makes a chirping sound. Hopefully my voice will return to "normal" soon.

artist

Old 08-10-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
(female)

MATYA HB User

So glad things went well for you. Like I keep saying, my case is totally different that anyone's on the thread. I had my substernal TT done Dec 2005 and I still can't sing or extend my voice and my neck and scar is just as tight as it was after surgery.

As you progress just make sure you bring to the attention of your Dr's any unusually type of situations that may occur in your body.

I'm still going from Dr. to Dr. and having test and procedures almost monthly.

I know you will be ok.

Be Blesseed

Old 08-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #5
(female)

supermom0321 HB User

I am following with my ENT and he hasn't mentioned an endo either. Is that common? Glad all went well. Did you have any trouble with your calcium? Usually when they have to take out all of your thyroid, your calcium goes down atleast for a day or two. But usually by now. Tingling in your hands and lips. This is a sign of low calcium. I am on 1 gram of Thyrolar. Not many doc's are putting pts on this. My doc says that people seem to have lesss problems with this medication. Also, I had to have both my lobes removed after he got in because of thyroiditis and lots of nolules on both. All beneign for me too!!

Hope some of this helps. Glad all went well.

Robin

Old 08-11-2006, 07:29 AM   #6
(female)

artist54 HB User

Supermom,
I contacted my endocrinologist yesterday and he will see me in 8 weeks. (unless I'm having any problems). Until then, I need to continue my Synthroid (0.137 MG). When I see him I'll get my bloodwork done and any med changes as necessary. I read about calcium problems after total removal of the thyroid. If I start having any "tingling" feelings I'll call my dr. and let him know.
My big concern is anemia. I've had an ongoing anemia problem for several years (non-specific).
When I had my surgery Tuesday my hemoglobin was 8. Before surgery, I had to have my blood typed incase I needed a transfusion. (luckly I didn't need one).
Today I feel very tired. I know it's my iron level. I take iron (Nu-Iron) regularly. I take the iron separate from my thyroid medicine, but I still have an absorbtion problem.
If I feel worse Monday I'll call my regular internal med doc. She can run my bloodwork to check my hemo and ferriten level.
The good news is.........I had a grilled cheese sandwich last night and a bowl of Cheerio's this morning. I sat out on my patio and watched the humming birds "fight" over their feeder. I have a least a half a dozen humming birds that visit my feeders and they are a "hoot" to watch.

Artist

Old 08-11-2006, 07:54 AM   #7
(female)

KTC HB User
Smile Re: back home after TT

Glad to hear your surgery went well.
I am scheduled the end of this month for a completion thyroidectomy.
I had a partial 13 years ago.
I am very concerned about calcium problems because, when I had the partial
thyroidectomy they als removed one of my parathyroids.
I do not know anyone who has had parathyroids removed.
What I have read scares me.
I hope you continue to do well.
Its nice to read about other peoples journey's with this disease.

God Bless.

Old 08-12-2006, 07:08 AM   #8
(female)

supermom0321 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC
Glad to hear your surgery went well.
I am scheduled the end of this month for a completion thyroidectomy.
I had a partial 13 years ago.
I am very concerned about calcium problems because, when I had the partial
thyroidectomy they als removed one of my parathyroids.
I do not know anyone who has had parathyroids removed.
What I have read scares me.
I hope you continue to do well.
Its nice to read about other peoples journey's with this disease.

God Bless.
dont worry about your calcium. The worst thing you will have to do is just take extra calcium everyday. My case is very unusual but my thyriod was hard to reomove, I was in surgery 5 hours instead of the normal two. I had thyrioditis and nodules, lots of them. that is why my calcium is still out of wack. Most people just need calcium for a few weeks. My parathyriods were evidentally very stunned d/t the long surgery.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:28 AM   #9
(female)

KTC HB User

Supermom0321;
Thank you for the information regarding the calcium.
This surgery is so scary.
It is so nice to be able to talk to people who understand
what you are going through.
I hope you are doing well.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:18 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

thank you all for your postings. i don't have an appt with the endo until sept. so i'm in limbo not knowing what she'll want to do. you are all so helpful that i feel whether or not she treats it or wants to remove it i feel i am going to her much more educated than before with lots of questions i would have never thought to ask. i see my ENT today for the 3rd time in a month and for some reason he blows me off with this thyroid thing going on. i keep seeing him since i am having a hard time swallowing and he keeps ordering more and more tests but does not think it is coming from the enlarged thyroid though all other tests are normal. UGH!!! it is so frustrating not knowing what or when something will happen next ot what the treatment will be.

Closed Thread