It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #1
(female)

momof11 HB User
Question Disagree with thyroid results-PLEASE tell me what you all think?

Ok-I developed Graves Disease after my first son was born almost 15 years ago-had two doses of radiation to kill thyroid and have been on Synthroid or generic ever since.I`ve had 10 more children[includes a set of twins] since then.Of course I`m monitord through my pg`s and my dose uped then back down after birth.
I`m normally on 100.I had a baby almost 5 months ago and about since tehn have been switched to Levothyroxine.I`m going to a new doctor and he tells me he wants me on a lower dose of 88.I`m NOT happy about it -for 15 years I`ve NEVER been on a dose that low .He gives me no reason for there to be a change-like it`s not my age or anything-I`m 39..just my bloodwork comes back high-
He told me sometimes my body still makes thyroid hormone after radiation and over time will lower-makes NO sense to me as I had radiation 15 years ago-have been monitored all through pg`s and never been told I was too high!WHY after all this time would my body make thyroid hormone?
I do take calcium,mag-and other vitamins but well away from my thryroid meds.
He also says he wants me on Synthroid NOT Levothyroxine..so I`m wondering IF the difference in brands could be the problem..??
I`m currently trying to get pg and do not want to mess with my dose!I`ve had hair loss since on the Levothyroxine.
Okay-and I just plain do NOT like this doctor-but he is the only Endro. on my insurance any where in my area..
I need opinions on this please?
Thanks so much,Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Disagree with thyroid results-PLEASE tell me what you all think?

Hello, Is your endo checking the Frees, this is the Ft4 and Ft3? These are your actual circulating thyroid hormones. I feel good when the frees or in the upper part of the range, but some like them a little lower.

The TSH is not a good test for thyroid function, especially while taking thyroid hormone.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User
Re: Disagree with thyroid results-PLEASE tell me what you all think?

I too took Levo for several years, and had problems with hair loss, as well as lack of energy, I also took synthroid, it never really helped me either. I had doc change to Armour, this seems to work for me. I have a 9 month old daughter and have graves. The deal with Graves and being pregnant is that some people do start making thyroid hormone after pregnacy, even after RAI, because you do still have some thyroid left as most who are completly ablated take a dose of atleast 150mg of Levo or more. So that might be the reason your doc did this. To see if that is the cause. If it is this what is going on you will go back to the original dose before to long anyway. You don't want to become hyper again so I would take the med the doc gave you, that way you can become pregnant again if that is what you want. Synthroid does some people differently as the ingrediants in it is a bit different that Levo. I found that Synthroid seemed to help me feel a bit better, but not all the way. Different synthetic drugs aren't the same even if they are generic, because the pharmacy can now give you different brands of generic even though the ingrediants are different. The FDA has approved it for pharmacys to give you generic Levo that is made up of different compounds which can cause a different break down in different people. So that might be why the Endo is making sure you get Synthroid instead. He sounds like he might be on the money even though he is a jerk. Remember with hyperthyroid it makes it hard to get pregnant.

Closed Thread