It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
(female)

haileysheets HB User
Thyroid Problems and Acne???

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. Thyroid problems run in my family pretty bad and, although I have not been tested yet, I am suspicious that I may have a thyroid problem. Both hyper and hypothyroidism runs in my family. For the past year now I have had unexplained adult acne problems. My dermatologist swears that there is no connection between thyroid problems and acne, but I have heard many people with thyroid problems say that have suffered from acne. Can any one shed any light on this? I am just wondering if any one here has also dealt with both acne and thyroid and if you know if there might be a connection between them after all. Thanks so much!

Hailey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Thyroid Problems and Acne???

I have minor acne, which hasn't gotten much better since treating my thyroid. I finally figured out at my ripe old age, that the more refined sugar I eat, the worse my skin gets. Now, it's true that people with low thyroid don't process sugar well... that may contribute some and be part of my problem. But I don't think acne is very often solely caused by thyroid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haileysheets
Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. Thyroid problems run in my family pretty bad and, although I have not been tested yet, I am suspicious that I may have a thyroid problem. Both hyper and hypothyroidism runs in my family. For the past year now I have had unexplained adult acne problems. My dermatologist swears that there is no connection between thyroid problems and acne, but I have heard many people with thyroid problems say that have suffered from acne. Can any one shed any light on this? I am just wondering if any one here has also dealt with both acne and thyroid and if you know if there might be a connection between them after all. Thanks so much!

Hailey
I'm going to have to agree with you. I'm 40 & have had unexplained acne for years.

My thyroid probs are currently under re-investigation. But when I was on Synthroid for a month - my skin looked FABULOUS!! (Although I suffered terrible effects otherwise & had to stop it).

So yes, I blame my acne on my thyroid/endocrine problems. Definitely.

Old 08-11-2006, 05:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

I will also have to agree since having a underactive thyroid hashi's, I have bad acne, look like a sort of boil, they get realy sore, I did not have this before my throid problem. I think its hormones playing up with the thyroid!!!
take care ...Mandy

Last edited by MAD MAZ; 08-11-2006 at 05:19 AM.

Old 08-11-2006, 05:42 AM   #5
(female)

StuckInIllinois HB User

I have had adult acne, and still get it here and there. Today is a little here. I have even tried Accutane years ago when it was really, really bad. But since starting meds, it has really cleared up to where I basically leave the house make-up free. The Derm thinks I just outgrew it!!! I also use a benzoyl (sp) peroxide cleanser every morning or every other day in the shower and let it sit on face for 45 seconds or so before washing off. I use a bp gel/cream a few times a week. When I don't use these regulary, I will get some back is seems, like now. The whole thyroid thinks sucks and with no evidence it's connected, we our on our own or here at the boards. Have a clear day and take care.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:00 AM   #6
(female)

Tinkerbell16 HB User

I got acne last year I was 37. I was recently dx hyperthyroid. It is prolly connected.
I used prescriptions from Dermatolgist, but didn't help.
Now i use Proactive, and the stuff really works.

Closed Thread