It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
(female)

MOLLY6 HB User
Hyper/Hypo

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them. I was diagnosed with Hashi's a few months ago. There are times when I feel fine and then all of a sudden it feels like my whole body just heats up within a few seconds and I start sweating. Even my forearms. I feel like I want to jump in a pool to cool down and then all of a sudden it will stop. I also have moments when I feel that I don't know what to do with myself, like I need to start running or I need to have a cigarette (I quit 8 months ago). Do you think that this is a reaction to the medication or is this just how Hashi's reacts on the body? Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
(female)

ExPerkyTina HB User
Re: Hyper/Hypo

What you described is a hot flash.

I have been having them for over a year. At first, they were just the first couple of days of my period. Then, they were throughout my period, with other severe symptoms. Then, I started having them during other parts of the month.

My doctor tested me for menopause. (I am 40, young for it, but not uheard of.) Nope.

He also tested my thyroid level. Was 3.94 TSH results. He said it was normal.

Well, I got very fatigued suddenly at the start of one of my periods with body aches and didn't get well. Tested TSH again and it was 8.45. I have hypothyroidism.

Hot flashes are one of the symptoms because body temporature is regulated by the thyroid hormones. So, the body is having trouble doing that. And, estrogen does contribute toward that. In fact, estrogen works against thyroid hormones. That's why the fluctuations of estrogen in perimenopause cause hot flashes.

As to the other. I don't know if it has anything to do with hypothyroidism.

Tina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2006, 04:50 AM   #3
(female)

daisy01 HB User

If you have hashi's then its quite common to veer from hypo to hyper and then swing right round and back again.
I have had days where my heart is racing, fast pulse feeling hot and sweaty etc but feel like I also just want to curl up and hibernate.
Have you had your oestrogen levels checked as it may be peri menopausal symptoms as well.

best wishes daisy

Old 08-14-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
(female)

MOLLY6 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I am 54 and totally through menopause (had bloodwork done). I've had hot flashes before but somehow this seems different. I almost feel that Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde thing. I just thought that maybe you can swing from hyper to hypo while being "hasi's"

Old 08-15-2006, 09:30 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOLLY6
Thanks for the replies. I am 54 and totally through menopause (had bloodwork done). I've had hot flashes before but somehow this seems different. I almost feel that Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde thing. I just thought that maybe you can swing from hyper to hypo while being "hasi's"
Hi there, I was recently diagnosed with Hashi's, and had the same exact question. I have several hypo symptoms, but then also several hyper symptoms. I was told that is because the thyroid is "under attack" by the antibodies. I'm taking a lot of antioxidants now to try & help my immune system - don't know if it will help, but I'm willing to try just about anything to feel normal again.

Closed Thread