It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
(female)

jlsmfc76 HB User
Question My levels?

My TSH is 3.92, is that too high? My T4 is 7.88.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: My levels?

Yes, your TSH looks way too high. Can you please post the ranges for those please. Crossing my fingers its a Ft4 not a Total T4.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2006, 06:36 AM   #3
(female)

jlsmfc76 HB User

I went to my doctor this morning and he says everything is normal including my TSH and T4. Range for T4 6.09-12.23 TSH:.30-5.00. He said everything looks good and is going to wait until i go to pph and try bc pills.If they don't regulate me then come back to him.

Last edited by jlsmfc76; 08-17-2006 at 06:37 AM.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I have to disagree with your doctor because your TSH is too high and that T4 looks too low. You really need the Ft4 and Ft3 and thyroid antibodies tests. Many things interfere with the total tests, and they are really outdated now.

You need to be on thyroid medication if your not already. Evidently your doctor does not know much about thyroid disorders and how to test.

I am sorry for sounding so blunt, but there has been so many people not getting the proper treatment they deserve.

It might be time to go doctor hunting.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:31 AM   #5
(female)

jlsmfc76 HB User

Now i'm really scared.My nerves were calm.I'm not any meds for anything.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
(female)

jlsmfc76 HB User

Well my nerves are a wreck again. I don't have a lump on my neck anywhere.I went to my doc cuz my periods are coming every 2 weeks.I've never heard of that site but i'll take a look now. I'll most likely be seeing him if bc pills don't work. Theres not awhile lot of doctors around here.Most are 15-40 minutes away.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:02 PM   #7
(female)

jlsmfc76 HB User
Question Re: My levels?

I'm so damn confused right now as what to do!

Old 08-17-2006, 04:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

My doctor is in the process of getting my TSH down in the 1-2 range. I actually started feeling better after my TSH dropped below 3. Almost everything I have read tells me most people feel best close to a TSH in that range, women tend to feel better closer to 1 in general, although we are all individuals.

Do you have hypothyroid symptoms other than what you mentioned?

Your doctor wanted you to try birth control pills to regulate your periods and let him (her?) know if that doesn't work. I think, given what I have learned about hypothyroidism in the past several months, if I were you, I would rather try treatment for that first if I could convince the doctor. If you think you'd like to try that before the b/c pills and your doctor isn't willing, you could get another doctor's opinion. Or just follow his/her advice and see if that works for you, especially if you don't have other symptoms.

Although your TSH is higher than what most doctors would consider optimal, it isn't dangerously high and a short time ago it would have been considered normal. Given enough hypoT symptoms, however, I think most doctors today would try treating you. It may be that he isn't seeing enough symptoms in you to treat based on a single lab result.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is no need to panic. A TSH at that level isn't indicative of a life threatening situation. Even if, given future monitoring, it turns out to need treatment, it would appear you have time to explore the best course for you with your physician. Once we brought mine down from 6.4 to 3.7 (now 2.7 or lower), my doctor said it was within healthy range. From there we have just been gradually tweaking it lower to find the optimal, feel best, level for me.

Old 08-17-2006, 05:05 PM   #9
(female)

jlsmfc76 HB User
Question Re: My levels?

Thanks...I'm calling around for a 2nd opinion tomorrow. I just don't know if my doc was right about my results. I'd like a 2nd opinion and further tests like the frees.I'm just so scared. My arms have felt a little weak the past few days but i still have energy to things even cleaning.I did some today.My hair is a little dry. i didn't have any problems before my abortion. maybe that set the bleeding part of this off. They've(periods)been coming every 2 weeks for over 3 months now.

Closed Thread