It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
(female)

Christina027 HB User
Question symptoms of taking too much Armour (overdose)?

My doctor wants me to increase my dose of Armour every two weeks until I am up to 2 grains a day. How do you know you are taking too much? Are there any side effects to look out for, and do they occur right away?

My dr. was not very clear about the potential side effects, if any, and I am just not sure if certain side effects are normal until you "adjust" to the medication. I am up to 1.5 grains per day and I am afraid that it might be too much.

I just increased my dose yesterday and today I noticed that my heartbeat felt [I]different[I] all day. It was nothing major that I would go to the emergency room or any thing, but I definitely noticed it.

Christina

Last edited by Christina027; 08-16-2006 at 10:02 PM.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: symptoms of taking too much Armour (overdose)?

Hi Christina, I think the early signs of getting hyper are an increased pulse rate. My sister is a little bit hyper right now with a higher pulse rate, hair falling out a little more, hair will not hold a perm,fingernails getting thinner. Her bloodpressure is good.

Later signs would be hand tremors, frequent bowel movements, cannot sleep well with an awareness of pounding heart, higher bloodpressure, frequent urination.

I think checking your pulse can help to tell if you are starting to get hyper.

Good luck to you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2006, 08:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Lady said it well, but I'll add this: It might be that because your heart rate was so slow due to the low thyroid, that anything faster than "too slow" will feel strange. If it's still within the normal range for heart rate, I wouldn't necessarily use that as a sign of overdose.

Also, I have had brief periods of hyper signs after dose increases, which then settled back down in a day or two. If the signs don't go away, though, consider getting your FTs tested to see if they may be too high for you.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

If the signs don't go away and you get tested and t3 & t4 are midrange or below, then what? What would cause this? I haven't had this problem with Armour because I have never gotten enough prescribed for me, but that has happened with other thyroid meds.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Shmily... You are a mystery to me.
I honestly have no answer. Weak adrenals maybe?

Old 08-17-2006, 05:55 PM   #6
(female)

NOLA_gal HB User

I started out on a 2 grain dose of Armour. For the first couple of days I felt a little hyper, but like Midwest said, I think it was just the disparity between the way my body had been functioning and how it was on Armour. It settled pretty quickly with no real issues and I feel so much better now. I'm really glad my doctor didn't insist on the very gradual increases a lot of people talk about. I was really ready to feel better NOW and luckily was healthy enough to tolerate the higher dose right away.

Good luck!

Old 08-18-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User

Hi..I take 3 grains of Armour. With each increase, I would get periods of rapid/pounding heartrate, but it went away.

Just be aware, I don't think you would all of a sudden become very hyper overnight.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

My sister noticed her hair falling out a little more, a nervous jumpy feeling, fingernails getting thinner. She also had a higher uncomfortable heartrate.

So now she is cutting her dose to 1/2 of what she was taking for 2 weeks. She is on Armour with a T4 med added to it.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:14 AM   #9
(female)

Christina027 HB User

I feel like I ran up a flight of stairs all the time. My heart doesn't feel like it is pounding, but beating a little harder/faster (almost like I have been exercising). I also have been getting warmer more often.

I upped my dose to 3 pills (1.5 grains) Tuesday 8/15. I didn't notice this feeling until Wednesday 8/16. I checked my heart rate this morning and it was about 83 beats per minute.

This is very stressful!!

Old 08-19-2006, 08:40 AM   #10
(female)

Christina027 HB User

I just ran over to the drug store to ask the pharmacist. She said that I should keep taking the 3 pills (1.5 grains) a day for a few more days. This way if I don't feel any better after one full week, I'll know it was too much for me. She also said if the side effects (from 3 pills) don't subside, I should try cutting the pills in half and take 2 1/2 pills a day.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:10 AM   #11
(female)

InnerCelticGirl HB User

My naturopath doctor told me that higher dosage of Armour Thyroid can lead to bone loss, so its important to take calcium supplements and eat calcium rich foods like salmon. And excercise to keep bone strong and body healthier.

I also was told a good GI diet- staying away from refined and processed foods

A liver cleanse to keep liver in optimun shape to help with better absorption of T4 and Armour Thyroid.

Be aware, higher dose of Armour Thyroid can lead to a suppressed TSH-HyperThyroidism.

I was diagnosed with low thyroid and suffered many symptoms for years. I was put on a Wilsons Thyroid Protocol (my doctor said I was a perfect candidate for it-It turned out I wasn't. It made me worse.) He right away put me on 300mg of Armour Thyroid and Adrenal supplement and CardiCare for my heart palpitations. I felt better. But after being on it for 30 days I was experiencing pain in my knees when I bent down, and my elbows when lifting something heavy. Also was feeling more aggressive than usual. My symptoms were coming back like insomnia and new symptoms were added. He then put me on 130mg and still taking the Adrenal supplements. I don't need the CardiCare anymore. Being on the 130mg dosage, I feel not that great, because my symptoms are back, except for the hair loss. Lab did a TSH and results were my TSH was severly suppressed-due to the 300mg dosage. My TSH before was slightly above normal. I believe the Wilsons Thyroid Protocal screwed me and then being put on a HIGH dose of Armour Thyroid. Now I am at risk of osteroposis(not sure of spelling). Now they say a good Gi diet and continue with 130mg of Armour Thyroid and Adrenal supplement and exercise. Hard to exercise when you don't sleep well and are tired.

I am very frusturating with medical and naturopath doctors.
I am now reserching on the net to help myself to get well, I am sick of the high and non stop cost you have to pay to get well. I feel both medical and naturopath are in it for their wealth, and have to keep us sick to gain it. That is strictly my opinion since I've been a guinea pig for years of their ********.
Frusturated InnerCelticGirl

Old 08-19-2006, 09:14 AM   #12
(female)

InnerCelticGirl HB User

My naturopath doctor told me that higher dosage of Armour Thyroid can lead to bone loss, so its important to take calcium supplements and eat calcium rich foods like salmon. And excercise to keep bone strong and body healthier.

I also was told a good GI diet- staying away from refined and processed foods

A liver cleanse to keep liver in optimun shape to help with better absorption of T4 and Armour Thyroid.

Be aware, higher dose of Armour Thyroid can lead to a suppressed TSH-HyperThyroidism.

I was diagnosed with low thyroid and suffered many symptoms for years. I was put on a Wilsons Thyroid Protocol (my doctor said I was a perfect candidate for it-It turned out I wasn't. It made me worse.) He right away put me on 300mg of Armour Thyroid and Adrenal supplement and CardiCare for my heart palpitations. I felt better. But after being on it for 30 days I was experiencing pain in my knees when I bent down, and my elbows when lifting something heavy. Also was feeling more aggressive than usual. My symptoms were coming back like insomnia and new symptoms were added. He then put me on 130mg and still taking the Adrenal supplements. I don't need the CardiCare anymore. Being on the 130mg dosage, I feel not that great, because my symptoms are back, except for the hair loss. Lab did a TSH and results were my TSH was severly suppressed-due to the 300mg dosage. My TSH before was slightly above normal. I believe the Wilsons Thyroid Protocal screwed me and then being put on a HIGH dose of Armour Thyroid. Now I am at risk of osteroposis(not sure of spelling). Now they say a good Gi diet and continue with 130mg of Armour Thyroid and Adrenal supplement and exercise. Hard to exercise when you don't sleep well and are tired.

InnerCelticGirl

Closed Thread