It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2006, 10:29 PM   #1
(female)

Linda May HB User
Unhappy Has anyone's thyroid grown back after surgery?

As most of you, I have suffered for years with underactive thyroid, yet always having a TSH of 0. Finally, the tumors, cysts and nodules were so large that my voice was barely audible and I had difficulty swallowing. In April 2004, I had a thyroidectomy.

The surgeon left in a "small" piece because it was next to my juggler vein, so he told me.

5 weeks prior to surgery, I had to take a medicine that made me gain 65 pounds. Yes, in 5 weeks. The surgeon promised the excess weight would come off after surgery.

Now, 2006, my voice has never returned. I have not lost any of the 65 pounds. All my symptoms are the same as before. A recent ultrasound of my neck revealed that my thyroid has GROWN BACK and is nearly as large as before! Also, there are many cysts and nodules on the new lobes!

My doctor says to that all my labs are normal, thanks to synthroid, so he advises to take a "wait and see" position for now. I feel so awful, and have all the symptoms of hypothyroid still. Carrying around 65 extra pounds is just awful too. I'm so tired.

How can this happen? Has this happened to anyone else out there? I have the pathology report from my surgery, and yes, indeed, the huge thyroid was removed, measured and weighed. How can it grow back? My doctor had no explanation. He now says my voice will never come back. I sound like someone with a bad sore throat who's whispering all the time.

Thank you all for any testimonials and/or advice.

Last edited by Linda May; 08-18-2006 at 10:46 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Linda May For This Useful Post:
drivinraine (02-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2006, 05:03 PM   #2
(female)

MATYA HB User
Re: Has anyone's thyroid grown back after surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda May
As most of you, I have suffered for years with underactive thyroid, yet always having a TSH of 0. Finally, the tumors, cysts and nodules were so large that my voice was barely audible and I had difficulty swallowing. In April 2004, I had a thyroidectomy.

The surgeon left in a "small" piece because it was next to my juggler vein, so he told me.

5 weeks prior to surgery, I had to take a medicine that made me gain 65 pounds. Yes, in 5 weeks. The surgeon promised the excess weight would come off after surgery.

Now, 2006, my voice has never returned. I have not lost any of the 65 pounds. All my symptoms are the same as before. A recent ultrasound of my neck revealed that my thyroid has GROWN BACK and is nearly as large as before! Also, there are many cysts and nodules on the new lobes!

My doctor says to that all my labs are normal, thanks to synthroid, so he advises to take a "wait and see" position for now. I feel so awful, and have all the symptoms of hypothyroid still. Carrying around 65 extra pounds is just awful too. I'm so tired.

How can this happen? Has this happened to anyone else out there? I have the pathology report from my surgery, and yes, indeed, the huge thyroid was removed, measured and weighed. How can it grow back? My doctor had no explanation. He now says my voice will never come back. I sound like someone with a bad sore throat who's whispering all the time.

Thank you all for any testimonials and/or advice.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:06 PM   #3
(female)

MATYA HB User

I've never heard of an organ growning back. Do all the test actually show the organ?? This is amazing. After all the problems I've experienced after my TT from Dec 2005, I guess anything is possible.

Please keep us posted.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

I have read that the thyroid tissue remaining after surgery CAN enlarge in an attempt to compensate for what is lost, and to supply the body with needed thyroid hormone. In fact, I have often wondered why that does not happen more often. It is basically the same principle as a goiter - the gland grows large in an attempt to meet the body' s need for hormone.

I am so sorry for your problems, and for yours, Mayta. Please persevere. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Ora

Old 08-30-2006, 07:09 PM   #5
(female)

Linda May HB User

Thank you. I'm still waiting to see the radiology reports with my own eyes. My internist said that yes, indeed, the lobes grew back and are about as large as what was removed. He said he had heard of the gland growing back while he was in med school. He wants to wait 3 months and retest blood and have another scan to see if it grows any.

I just can't believe this is happening to me.

Closed Thread