It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
(male)

vital HB User
still confused whether I'm Hyperthyroid or not..

About 5 months ago I told my school's health clinic about my symptoms and they did a TSH/T-4 test for me and the results reported fine. After graduating and starting work this summer, my symptoms have really elevated. I went to a walk-in Urgent Care Center last weekend just for some lab work since I don't have much time to see a primary doctor during the weekday. I told the doctor there about my symptoms and they ran another CBC, Metabolic Panel and TSH test. Well I just got the results and they said I'm fine and I shouldn't have to worry. What really upsets me is that I don't think I'm fine at all! I'm tired of doctors telling me that I'm fine after telling them that I've been dealing with all these symptoms!

-tremors (shaky hands)
-anxiety (constant nervousness)
-sensitive to heat (I sweat way more than other people in warm conditions)
-extreme high metabolism (Been losing weight and can't gain any either so I'm underweight for my height)

Here are my last two lab results:
03/08/2006
T-4 7.4 (4.5-12.5 MCG/DL)
TSH 0.70 (0.40-5.50 MIU/L)

08/13/2006
TSH 0.570 (0.350-5.500 uIU/mL)

Anyone care to give some advice? Am I requesting the right thyroid tests? I notice that they didn't do a T-4 on the second lab, is it necessary? What about the T-3 or antibody tests I've been readin about on this forum? I feel so lost because my symptoms are really starting to affect my life but doctors keep telling me there's nothing wrong with me. I do have family history of Hyperthyroidism so that's why I'm concerned that I may be hyper. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2006, 08:23 PM   #2
(female)

DAVZAN HB User
Re: still confused whether I'm Hyperthyroid or not..

It sounds like you have some of the typical symtom's of hyperthyroidism. I was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, and the only reason the Doc suspected something was up was because my thyroid was enlarged. Anyway, to make a long story short, after an ultra sound and iodine scan they discovered I was hyper with a single nodule. Little did I know that I have suffered with it for quite a few years, having heart palpitations, anxiety, depression, acne - all symtoms and yet even after having years of blood work for my thyroid, all the levels showed "within normal range". If I were you (this is just cheap advice at best), I would try to get an appointment with an endocrinologist, that would be my next step and go from there. Good luck and don't give up!

Old 08-20-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
(male)

vital HB User

Do I need a referral to see an Endo if I have a PPO? When I do go see one I really wanna give the doctor solid evidence so they can better help me. Would it be a good idea to request a thyroid panel (FT3,FT4, TSH) from HealthCheckUSA since all these other doctors are only doing a TSH?

Old 08-20-2006, 11:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User
Smile Re: still confused whether I'm Hyperthyroid or not..

yes, you should ask for a T-3 test definitely, that controls the metabolism, that's why everything is speeded up. If you have it in the family, it's probably that, you might have early disease,they can treat it with meds.

Last edited by Bran'sNana; 08-20-2006 at 11:29 AM.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:55 AM   #5
(male)

vital HB User

what's the difference between the T-3 and Free T-3?

Old 08-20-2006, 08:11 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User

There is a disease called Graves that causes hyperthyroidism. It can come on quick or slow, and you can have signs of hyperthyroid without having abnormal labs if they aren't checking the right ones. You may also need your antibodies tested, TSI and TPO, are ones they will look at for Graves. Graves is an autoimmune disease that causes hyperthyroid plus a few other things. Alot of people report these problems long before TSH and Free T4 are out of range. The antibodies will make you feel like crap if they are high. Even after I have had my thyroid killed off with RAI(radiation) I still have high TSI, showing that the Graves is still active in my body. The normal range for my TSI was >130 and my last test was 296. I still have normal labs for TSH and Free T4(but mind you I also take meds for a hypothyroid now). Some people can have a hyperthyroid and only have there Free T3 effected as well, causing hyperthyroid in them. I would ask for antibodies testing and a Free T3 test, if these come back ok, you might need to look into other things. I myself suffer from these same symptoms but they were brought on by diabetes! So I hope you find something out soon, and start to feel better. I would never say that the thyroid couldn't be the problem because so many people suffer from it long before they get out of range, for you just a little bit could make you feel this way. So keep on having the levels checked, if it is the thyroid soon these levels will be out of range, but by then you may feel even worse. All you can do is keep the doctors checking. One more thing about this, do you have a family history of any thyroid disorder?

Closed Thread