It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2006, 07:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
CYTOMEL Works Wonders for anxiety/brain fog-switch to Time release T3?

Hi everyone I had a question, I was put on 125 mcg of generic synthroid since I went Hypo again anyway I decided on my own to start taking cytomel, the doc had told me to take 10 mg's daily but i had horrible chest pains/fast heartbeat so I got scared and stopped it. anyway i have been very depressed and with horrific brain fog for a while now.

but on Sunday after reading in the thyroid solution book, the doc mentions that T3 helps depression/anxiety, and i decided to take 5mg, well i took it and my heart went crazy all night long, however i woke up Monday and i felt refreshed! renewed! i was like whoaaaaa it did make a major difference in how i felt especially the depression, anxiety and brain fog it basically took it away.

i realize that maybe the 5mg is too much at one time, so i was thinking of splitting it up, my T3 always seems to be in the normal range, however my doc has only been testing my tsh lately, anyway where i am a bit confused because what if my T3 is normal and i am taking cytomel can that cause any problems? I am definitely going to take it since it made a uge difference in how i felt.

Last edited by jennyVee; 08-24-2006 at 05:58 AM.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Exclamation Re: CYTOMEL Works Wonders for anxiety/brain fog- can i take it if T3 is normal?

I wanted to add something here I noticed thats ince I have been taking half of the 5mg pill I havent felt energy like i did when i took the whole pill, I am just afraid of taking the whole 5mg pill since it gives me very fast hearbeat, it seems to me that since i felt good at 5mg that might be the right dose for me, but would i have to take it 2x a day?because 2--5mg pills a day would definately get me sick.

anyway i read about T3 time release tablets i think i will ask my doc since he deals with a compounding pharmacy, but I am not sure whether to ask him for the 5mg only since its time released it probably would not work the same as taking the regular 5mg pill since with the regular pill it hits you all at once,-- i was going to ask him for 10 mg in time release pill, anyway i just want to feel as good as i did when i took the 5mg pill but i am just afraid of becoming hyper again, I have hashis and have been going from hypo to hyper constantly, and my last T3 labs were in the normal range so i hope cytomel doesnt get me hyper again.

Last edited by jennyVee; 08-24-2006 at 06:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
(male)

ShakesMcThyroid HB User
Re: CYTOMEL Works Wonders for anxiety/brain fog- can i take it if T3 is normal?

Hey jennyVee:

Glad that it's working for you! Would you mind describing your brain fog? Because I have had it (or something similar...a disorienting/drunk feeling that my doctor says doesn't exist for hyperthyroid patients) for 3 years and I'm willing to try anything to make it go away. If your condition is similar to mine, I'm gonna try out cytomel...heck, I may try it anyway. Good luck on your recovery!

Shakes McThyroid
"Take My Thyroid, Please"

Last edited by ShakesMcThyroid; 08-26-2006 at 09:45 PM.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
(female)

jst2smile HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakesMcThyroid
Hey jennyVee:

Glad that it's working for you! Would you mind describing your brain fog? Because I have had it (or something similar...a disorienting/drunk feeling that my doctor says doesn't exist for hyperthyroid patients) for 3 years and I'm willing to try anything to make it go away. If your condition is similar to mine, I'm gonna try out cytomel...heck, I may try it anyway. Good luck on your recovery!

Shakes McThyroid
"Take My Thyroid, Please"
Hi, sorry to hear about your brain fog sucks trying to function living in lala land. However I dont think t3 would be an appropriate drug for you since you are HYPER they normally give t3 to those who suffer from HYPO an underactive thyroid to give them a little perk up..

Old 08-28-2006, 04:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi, actually brain fog feels horrible

I feel as if I am in lala land, cant think straight ,I forget everything, feel mentally tired and my mind seems blank, brain fog causes confusion or lack of clarity,detached and often discouraged and depressed.

anyway the T3 helped me, however as jst suggested this med is only for hypothyroid paients, I have read however that adrenal fatigue is what causes brain fog, I was told by my doc to take adrenal essence its supposed to be a very good natural supplement whch helps adrenal fatigue brain fog.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:58 PM   #6
(male)

ShakesMcThyroid HB User

Well, I WAS hyper. I just had RAI treatment and am waiting for my thyroid to keel over. Got a doctor visit in a few weeks. Seems like I'm the only person in the history of the universe who has brain fog with hyperthyroidism. Like you guys said, I've mainly only heard it from hypo types. I really need health insurance.

Shakes

Old 09-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

I got off Armour and Synthroid. I was on .125mg of Synthroid and it didn't seem to do much for me. I also started on 5mcg of Cytomel alone and felt great also. It put me in a good mood and I actually felt like doing things like cleaning etc. I raised it a little at a time and now I am on 10mcg. I read where Cytomel is suppose to be 4 times more potent than Synthroid. But I have a hard time believing it. Cytomel is a real potent drug. I called the Cytomel manufacturer who told me it can be taken long term. Try taking 7.5 and see what happens.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:03 AM   #8
(female)

anah HB User

Can you take/get Cytomel without a prescription? The adrenal essence your doc mentioned for adrenal support, is that something you can get without a prescription too? I find most docs are reluctant to prescribe anything that I suggest, if they don't come up with it then they are against it...........at least thats been my experience.

Closed Thread