It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2006, 03:05 AM   #1

Idgiebay HB User
Newly diagnosed. Advice?

After having terrible tingling in my arms and legs for a while, my doctor decided to give me a thyroid test. He only did TSH which was 5.49, "borderline" thyroid. He gave me the choice to take meds or not and I chose not to, not realizing that my tingliness could be related to my thyroid.

Fast forward about five months and I have brain fog, terrible neck and shoulder pain, and even more tingling in my arms and legs. This lasted well over two months. Add to that the fact that I haven't had my period since March (I've always been irregular, but not THAT irregular!!). I also have a persistently low body temperature which never seems to rise about 97.4 and is often times below 97 in the mornings.

I really haven't been feeling well...

So my doctor decided to give me another TSH test as well as T3 and T4. I'm not sure what the latter two results were (they should be coming in the mail any day now), but my TSH jumped up to 7.74. I'm now taking 25MCG of Synthroid, which I just started tonight, and already I'm feeling slightly better. I don't want to get my hopes up, though. I could just be having a "good night."

My question is: is it really possible that the symptoms I've been having have been related to my thyroid? I thought symptoms like that didn't occur until much later.

Thanks a lot and any advice is appreciated.

Idgiebay

Old 09-01-2006, 04:48 AM   #2
(female)

elphers HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed. Advice?

Idgebay,
Feel lucky that at 5.49 you were offered the option of medicine. My TSH is 5.14 and so far 3 of my doctors say that my number is normal, so no help is offered!
A long time ago, I had carpal tunnel symptoms and went to an orthopedist. I got the test done on both hands, and it came back negative, He did give me braces for my hands, but they bother me. Now I am wondering also if the numbness in my hands all this time is related to my thyroid?
What "kind" of doctor offered you the medicine initially? Did you have to see an endo?
Thanks!
elphers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2006, 08:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

IMO it is very likely your symptoms are related to your thyroid.

I, too, thought I felt a little better after one dose of Synthroid but it was either wishfull thinking or you and I are very sensitive.

It is not reasonable to expect a big change for weeks, maybe months. It happens so slowly you will cease to notice the changes until one day you finish out a busy day without a crash and you'll be saying, "I made it!"

Old 09-01-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
(female)

dryblueyes HB User

I too was told my tsh was 'normal' but I experienced every HypoT symptom known to man and then some! TSH level and related symtoms are very individualized. Some people have a level completely off the chart and don't really experience a lot of symptoms. Some folks, like me and apparently you, have just the slightest movement in your tsh and you experience all kinds of things. It would seem your symtoms are related to hypoT and hopefully the med will bring things around. Don't give up if it has to be adjusted though! I'm 9 months out from my diagnosis and we're still working on meds/levels.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:20 PM   #5

Idgiebay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphers
What "kind" of doctor offered you the medicine initially? Did you have to see an endo?
Thanks!
elphers
Actually, it was just my primary care physician. I've never been to an endo. Should I see one? What is their specialty?

Quote:
I, too, thought I felt a little better after one dose of Synthroid but it was either wishfull thinking or you and I are very sensitive.
Haha... Well, I'm the type of person who gets a reaction from ANY medicine I take, usually adverse. I didn't mean that I felt all better or anything, just a slight noticeable difference, like a thin veil had been lifted.

Another thing I've been dealing with a much longer time is heart palpitations. I never thought they could be related to my thyroid, but from what I've been reading here, it seems like that could be the culprit. Also, instead of being sensitive to cold, I'm very sensitive to heat. Because of my low body temperature, weather that is comfortable to everyone else is swealtering to me! I always have the air blasting in my car. I love cold weather!

Does that seem odd to anyone? I think heat sensitivity is more prevelant in hyperthyroid, but I've also read that any kind of temperature sensitivity could be indicative of hypo.

I also have very high cholesterol. I read that that's common with hypo as well, am I right? My overall is 240-something. I am overweight, but I'm only 23! I don't eat THAT BADLY!! My doctor told me to eat as many vegetables as possible and eat only a littlel meat, but I've heard that oftentimes, hypo-related cholesterol isn't affected by diet/exercise. Will getting my TSH in a "normal" range help lower it?

Quote:
Don't give up if it has to be adjusted though! I'm 9 months out from my diagnosis and we're still working on meds/levels.
I'll keep that in mind! Just knowing that there might be light at the end of the tunnel is enough for me. From what I can see, there are some here who have been suffereing a lot longer than I have... I feel guilty about how awful I've been feeling, but I can't help it. For a while, I was crying on a nightly basis because I figured this was the way it was going to be for the rest of my life. I was also questioning my sanity... People kept telling me it was all in my head and a few relatives asked me if I actually wanted to be sick on occasion. I kept questioning myself, but I know I don't want to feel this way!

Thank goodness for this message board!

Idgiebay

Old 09-04-2006, 09:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idgiebay

...I feel guilty about how awful I've been feeling, but I can't help it. For a while, I was crying on a nightly basis because I figured this was the way it was going to be for the rest of my life. I was also questioning my sanity... People kept telling me it was all in my head and a few relatives asked me if I actually wanted to be sick on occasion....

Idgiebay
People say the darnedest things, don't they!

Of course we want to be sick!!!

I LOVE it when I have to go off meds for a scan! Can't live without that draggy, tired feeling every now and then!

Old 09-04-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
(female)

MOLLY6 HB User

When I started this nonsense, it was because of palpitations not because of the exhaustion (get more sleep), weight gain (stop eating) and losing hair (your shedding), depression (menopause). All of these symptoms were treated with the same pat answers everyone gets, but when my heart started racing 212bpm and I went to the ER and they couldn't find a reason for the heart racing finally someone took a blood test and came up with my thyroid problem. The heart turned out to be a benign problem (pvc's) but then the ER doctor came in and asked me why I wasn't taking my thyroid medication. I told him because I was never tested and was never prescribed medication. At that point my TSH was 27.62. I did feel better after a few doses of levothyroxine but in my case I think it was because I was finally diagnosed with something and I was not losing my mind as everyone had me believing. You will feel better, but it does take time. I am on 100mcg for 3 months know and am noticing more energy. The weight I am not going to worry about until my numbers are good. Good luck to you and don't worry, it doesn't help.

Closed Thread